Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did AMD Drop Support for Windows XP?

Did AMD Drop Support for Windows XP?

Yesterday, AMD released Catalyst 12.10 and Catalyst 12.11 Beta. It appears that both drivers don't support Windows XP. In fact, XP isn't even listed in the Catalyst 12.10 release notes. This could be a strong indication that AMD is planning to discontinue monthly driver support for Windows XP.

Read more: http://www.ngohq.com/news/22541-amd-...indows-xp.html

Banned
    Microsucks has stopped supporting XP...

Xtreme Member
    12.9 beta XP was released less than a month ago,

the next WHQL driver is probably going to be 12.10(?) I think things will be clearer then...

Anyway, why would you buy a 6000/7000 card and run XP? Seems like a waste to me, seems like XP is on life support, anyway, face it or not, XP has been in the long run and has served everyone well, time to move on. I wouldn't be surprised if ATI's next generation doesn't even support XP at all.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Wanna look under my kilt?
    They aren't (well... they WEREN'T, I don't know if that changed) supporting 7-series Crossfire in XP. It's a shame in some ways because XP is still a good O.S. choice for most benchmarks, but I can't blame them for doing it. Why pump money into a dead horse?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Mentor
    i think it is not an issue with xp it is about dx9.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Microsoft says soon they will drop support for WIN XP. And many others as AMD will drop support too

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-NGO View Post
    Yesterday, AMD released Catalyst 12.10 and Catalyst 12.11 Beta. It appears that both drivers don't support Windows XP. In fact, XP isn't even listed in the Catalyst 12.10 release notes. This could be a strong indication that AMD is planning to discontinue monthly driver support for Windows XP.

XP came out in 2001 didnt it? So more than a decade old, about time to start dropping it.
    But AMd also said a LONG LONG time ago that XP would only receive quarterly updates on drivers. Seeing as drivers get released once a month, that means one update on XP for every 4 Win7 driver updates. Its been 2 or 3 updates now, so we will probably see an update next time.

Dont see what the big deal is.
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 10-23-2012 at 05:35 AM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

I'm not sure why people think Windows XP support ended!? Millions of computers will get Windows XP updates for two more years, Microsoft does not end Windows XP support until 2014!

Sure individual software companies may not support it but video card drivers should support Windows XP for two more years imho. nVidia sometimes releases Windows XP versions of their drivers only after releasing Windows 7 drivers but the thing that's troubling with Catalyst 12.10 is that there is no Windows XP listed in the official Release Notes.

If Catalyst 12.9 Beta is the last version of Catalyst for Windows XP they should say so, but it's unclear right now. I use a multi boot as do many people, I hope AMD does not end Windows XP support yet.

Xtreme Member
    Microsoft is dropping security updates and support for XP in Aug 2014.
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...=en-gb&c2=1173

RussC
    My Rig
    PII955-C2 3.8GHz, 2.5MHz NB
    GSkill 2x2GB DDR3-2400@900MHz
    M4A87T Antec 900 Case, Custom Mods x5Fans
    Custom Water Cooling: 15x12 3-Core Radiator
    4xSunon 4.5W Fans, DD12V-D5 Laing Variable Pump
    DD MC-TDX Water Block
    700W OZC ModX Power Supply
    GB HD6970OC2 Video Card
    2x150GB Raptor Raid

Quote Originally Posted by c627627 View Post
    I'm not sure why people think Windows XP support ended!? Millions of computers will get Windows XP updates for two more years, Microsoft does not end Windows XP support until 2014!

Sure individual software companies may not support it but video card drivers should support Windows XP for two more years imho. nVidia sometimes releases Windows XP versions of their drivers only after releasing Windows 7 drivers but the thing that's troubling with Catalyst 12.10 is that there is no Windows XP listed in the official Release Notes.

If Catalyst 12.9 Beta is the last version of Catalyst for Windows XP they should say so, but it's unclear right now. I use a multi boot as do many people, I hope AMD does not end Windows XP support yet.
    As was said earlier, AMD only does XP driver updates once every quarter or so now.

I hope by 2014 that millions of XP boxes won't exist anymore. XP was good but its time is well over. By 2014 it will be 13 years old, and the newest PC that came with XP will be at least 6 years old. By 2014 the majority had better not be XP anymore.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Brilliant Idiot
    XP is easier to steal........that about sums it up.

People crying about losing XP probably want full support and FREE ( stolen ) win 7. It's good to bench with but XP has ran its course and win7 is actually good.....the only reason to stay xp other than benchmarks before was vista.
    Last edited by chew*; 10-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Hey, not all free Win7 is stolen. Friend gave me his old copy because he bought a new PC that already had 7 so he had no need of his original
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Windows XP and 32bits are dead ... just accept it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post

People crying about losing XP probably want full support and FREE ( stolen ) win 7.
    I know I shouldn't, but everytime I see people talking about piracy without knowing what they're talking about I lose my temper...
    What you said is one of the worst possible points to make a comparision about WXP and W7. Albeit W7 is harder to crack than good old WXP corporate edition (That simply worked out of the box because it didn't needed activation), it is nonetheless possible to anyone that got enough common sense to read a TXT file and follow the instructions. If that is too hard to do, then you are not a pirate. And please, use the word "pirate", not "steal", because they're NOT the same, unless the antipiracy ads succeded in brainwashing you.
    Besides, as Bill Gates said once, piracy is part of the strategy of Microsoft to make Windows platform the mainstream and de facto standard:

As long as they are going to steal, we want them to steal ours. They’ll get sort of addicted, and then we’ll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade
    Basically, by using Windows, even if I didn't paid for it, I'm helping Microsoft to have a bigger OS marketshare and thus potentially more Software developers for its platform, feeding the egg-and-chicken scenario. If people was forced to pay for Software, Windows would become a small niche in third world countries where paying 100+ U$D for something that is so easy to duplicate is, plain and simply, ridiculous (That money is better spend on food, or a faster computer to actually being able to run and enjoy the Software). For Microsoft, being pirated is better than being replaced by a free Linux distribution. So actually, we could even state that piracy hurts MORE free Open Source Software market penetration while helps Microsoft to hold onto its massive OS marketshare by letting pirates get away with it. I can guarantee you that without piracy, Microsoft wouldn't be where it is at, so when you're talking about Windows piracy, never forget this fact.

So, what about me? I'm still using WXP SP3. If I wanted to have W7 for free, I would have done so a long time ago, so that is not the reason why I didn't upgrade. WXP, albeit old as a dinosaur, is a very fine OS, the only thing I'm missing from W7 is a few features that I don't have any use for (DirectX 11? No, sorry, no game I play requieres that), so I don't see any real need to upgrade when most of the things I do works fine, and the things that I can't get to work on WXP, don't work either on W7.
    One decade ago I always upgraded to the last version of whatever Software I used (Applications or Drivers), but these days I'm far from the upgrading bandwagon because if you have something that works well enough, there is no need to fix what isn't broken. I'm started to get tired of seeing annoying bugs introduced more often that not in every new release, usually in GPU Drivers, that simply made me to not think about upgrading unless I have a real need to. And in the case of a BIG upgrade like a OS change, I would actually have to learn how to deal with whatever new obstacles W7 brings to the table that I currently know how to deal with in WXP. So, what do I win by switching to W7? Losing productive time that I need to spend learning how to tweak it to suit my tastes, so I can do with W7 the same thing that I can do on WXP? Thanks, but no. And if the day comes where I have to leave the sinking WXP ship, I would actually go to the Linux side (Where I have to learn how to deal with a new OS as with W7, but for what I want is MUCH MORE useful) instead of continue helping Microsoft maintain the marketshare.
    Microsoft will miss pirates when we become extint. They will have to compete against something that is free, and is not itself.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    and all patents on windows are illegal as the sole and only legal purpose of patents is to recover all costs involved in the ideas creation.
    that has been long done for windows. it is legally having to be opened up to competition long ago, no locked source, but shared source codes.
    otherwise no free market system can exist.

oh and none of us are pirates. for piracy requires us profiting from the sale of the product. we simply had personal copies nothing more. completely legal and nothing wrong with.
    its not like we're canadian tv broadcasters, taking free to air usa broadcasts, removing their commercials , adding our own and profiting from that. actual piracy.

besides just like the PVR. no commercials are counted for those who recording and not watching live, thus not supporting the tv shows any more then a free copier from the internet.
    just like a copy of windows you didn't pay for, you're only saying hey wait, your patent is null and void, you recovered costs. i will not support your financial fraud causing loss to my physical quality of life in violation of common law 3. i am not costing you anything by not paying for another copy of windows 7 x64. for i didn't cost you anything, nor am i selling it, profiting from it.
    Last edited by Greg83; 10-23-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    As was said earlier, AMD only does XP driver updates once every quarter or so now.

I hope by 2014 that millions of XP boxes won't exist anymore. XP was good but its time is well over. By 2014 it will be 13 years old, and the newest PC that came with XP will be at least 6 years old. By 2014 the majority had better not be XP anymore.
    As was said earlier where? All I can find out is news about Quarterly switch for all operating systems. Did you find out something specific about Windows XP because 12.10 official and Beta and 12.11 Beta no longer list Windows XP, there are no Windows XP drivers after 12.9 Beta...

As for Windows XP.

1. Millions of grandmas have zero reason to upgrade from Windows XP. Web browsing and email and doing nothing else, and they should upgrade, why?

• Windows XP allows you to group files or folders on different parts of the screen whereas in Windows 7, you can *only* do this on its Desktop and nowhere else. Windows 7 has no option to turn Auto-Arrange off. If you need to do this for business, you have one option and one option only for grouping files/folders in order to sort them out: Windows XP.

• Windows 7 Search Engine is more difficult to use and not as reliable as Windows XP Search Engine. No GUI, and I always have to reboot from Win7 to WinXP to do a search and make sure a file is not really there because I caught Windows 7 search not finding files which existed and even took screen shots of it, they replaced a user friendly Windows XP search engine with a difficult to use and what's worse, unreliable one.

• Error-checking an external drive under Windows 7 results in a memory leak. If you use Windows 7 to check a (large) external drive for errors, you will run out of system resources due to a memory leak bug. There is no known fix to this day (!) I cannot wait to test this on Windows 8 in a couple of weeks.

Minor annoyance:
    • When you right click on a web shortcut link, the correct current location of its custom icon is not displayed. But this is a problem on every system from which IE 6 is removed and replaced by Internet Explorer 7 or later, even if you use other web browsers.

That + Grandmas is the reason Windows XP will be used long after its support ends two years from now. It's not about using Windows w/o paying Microsoft. I am grateful to corporate America for twisting Microsoft's arm to both pull development resources away from creating future Windows Vista and use them instead to create Windows XP Service Pack 2 back in the day and more importantly to extend Windows XP support until 2014.

Since both OfficeMax and amazon are giving $30 store credit with pre-order,
    http://www.officemax.com/technology/...ct-prod4260960

I used my OfficeMax Coupon to get it for $69.99-$10 coupon-$30 store credit = $29.99

$29.99 instead of $300 Microsoft used to charge for Windows retail takes a lot of arguments away from not paying for the OS, but that is a valid but separate topic. Not everyone uses their computer the same way as any one of us here does. That is why Windows XP will be with us for a long time to come, even beyond 2014.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-NGO View Post

didnt amd already comment on this like months ago?

there not gonna do monthly updates for products 5000 series and below
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

We are talking about Operating Systems, not card versions.

I'm not sure how many Microsoft products you've watched get phased out. Major products have multiple end dates with the dates marking the end of increasingly more important aspects of support related to that product.

With Windows, Microsoft first warns that the end is coming. Then they stop selling retail editions of that product. Later they stop sales of OEM/preinstalled editions.

As a retail product, XP hasn't been on store shelves for over four years. As a pre-installed product, XP hasn't been available for over two years.

Mainstream support ended three and a half years ago. This means that if you bought a retail copy in a store in 2009 and called Microsoft with a problem, they're no longer obligated to provide support to you. They're still releasing updates for everybody, but technically speaking they could exclude you as a retail customer. They won't...but they have the right.

It is extended support that is ending in 2014. At that point Microsoft has no obligation to provide support to the commercial customers that extended support is for. They will no longer have any obligations to anyone for support of any kind and will start to slow down how aggressively they patch the platform. At first there won't be any immediately visible sign of this, but as time moves on issues will be discovered that are too difficult to fix without major rewrites of portions of the OS. Microsoft will opt to just let the issue slide. Eventually they'll quit posting updates altogether.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

OK, I was only referring to accessing Windows Updates and we will be able to do that for two more years. Perhaps I should have worded it differently

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post
    Windows XP and 32bits are dead ... just accept it
    extended MS support only ends in 2014, it's the second or third most popular OS on the latest Steam Survey (Windows XP 32 bit
    11.89%), the thing is, XP is still adequate for many uses... and it's not that MS didn't try to kill it sooner to force the upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post

People crying about losing XP probably want full support and FREE ( stolen ) win 7. It's good to bench with but XP has ran its course and win7 is actually good.....the only reason to stay xp other than benchmarks before was vista.
    Windows 7 is as easy to pirate...
    Windows 8 is harder from what I heard, maybe that's why people dislike Metro?

Xtreme Member
    As for Windows XP.

1. Millions of grandmas have zero reason to upgrade from Windows XP.
    you're ing kidding me right?

you think grandma plays games? much less updates her graphics drivers?

but yes, everyone should upgrade from XP because its security model is freaking garbage. that alone is a reason to upgrade.
    Last edited by Generic user #2; 10-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    didnt amd already comment on this like months ago?

there not gonna do monthly updates for products 5000 series and below
    It was 4000 series and below.

ahmet mahmut dursunogullari strikes again... uhhh i guess??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast