Thread: Remote computer access

Xtreme Cruncher

Remote computer access

Ok I want to keep my one computer running 6 GPU threads but it needs babysitting.

What can I use to remote in through the internet from work to babysit this machine?

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Squire|Shuttle SD36G5M| R.I.P.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Some time ago I was using combo of Hamachi and VPN. It worked good enough for my needs...
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
    Ok I want to keep my one computer running 6 GPU threads but it needs babysitting.

What can I use to remote in through the internet from work to babysit this machine?
    I use teamviewer. If they won't let you install it on your work machine you can run it as a service. That's what I do. I'm typing this from work via teamviewer.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm the IT manager... I can do whatever I want lol

Thanks I'll look into it.

Any ports need to be forward? or does it work properly with the routers NAT/UPNP?
    Last edited by Bun-Bun; 10-22-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Not Yours!
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    I use teamviewer. If they won't let you install it on your work machine you can run it as a service. That's what I do. I'm typing this from work via teamviewer.
    Same here only I got admin rights at work so I got it installed on my lappy

I use LogMeIn. Works great, no ports to deal with either unless you have a hardware firewall with strict rules or something.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Administrator
    TeamViewer is very simple and can be made to auto start so you don't have to worry about it. But it is some what slow on response when doing things.

I used RADMIN for a long time and had a very fast connection. It was a little bit of a pain getting setup at first but its more responsive when using it.

But now I just use TeamViewer as most of my stuff changes around a lot these days.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
    I'm the IT manager... I can do whatever I want lol

Thanks I'll look into it.

Any ports need to be forward? or does it work properly with the routers NAT/UPNP?
    No ports to forward. Just install and make sure you allow it through your firewall.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Chrome has a remote add on 2, I hear it works fine.
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmm Chrome addon... ill have to check it out.

Looking over everyones suggestions I have gone with teamviewer. What I like about it is it keeps track of all your installations online so you just log in and a list of your computers pops up. Plus it gives full control of the connected PC (ie. I can restart it or shut it down). It runs a little slow but for its ease of use its worth it. Plus babysitting crunchers doesn't require a lot so the somewhat slow access is fine.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sorry for the thread revival.

Question about teamviewer: This won't mess up gpu crunching, will it? I seem to vaguely recall some issue with windows reverting to a generic video driver if accessed remotely (don't remember which method of remote access caused this though).

Thanks for any input.

HWiNFO Author
    This is true for Remote Desktop (included in Windows). I don't know if teamviewer causes the same and would like to know that too.

Quote Originally Posted by my87csx481 View Post

Question about teamviewer: This won't mess up gpu crunching, will it? I seem to vaguely recall some issue with windows reverting to a generic video driver if accessed remotely (don't remember which method of remote access caused this though).

Thanks for any input.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by my87csx481 View Post

Thanks for any input.
    Teamviewer works fine for me. Log in all the time to check Boinctasks to see what's going on or to change settings to catch those sneaky betas when thy appear, which is usually when I'm at work.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'll try to play with it tonight.

HWiNFO Author
    Just installed TeamViewer and it seems a session doesn't cause the machine to switch to VGA driver. So working pretty well.

Xtreme Member
    Do any of these remote-access programs prevent bots from trying to brute-force a login via the internet?

I was leaving the port for Windoze Rmote Desktop (3389) open in my modem/router's firewall for me to log in when away.
    Forgot to close the access after my return. I couldn't work out why there was a 2nd winlogon process appearing & disappearing in task manager every second or so, until I noticed the network activity LED on the machine flashing in little bursts every sec or so when the network should have been quiet. Average of 14kBps dowloading, which would be a real nuisance if you've got limited bandwidth or quota. I tracked it down to unauthorised login attempts via remote desktop. I got the IP address of the source, found his ISP (location Amsterdam) and the ISP's range of IPs and firewalled them out. Network was immediately quiet. For a while. A couple of weeks later it was happening again, this time from ISP Hutchison/Hong Kong.
    I disabled port 3389, and that's why I'm here ...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindFreddie View Post
    Do any of these remote-access programs prevent bots from trying to brute-force a login via the internet?
    You'll need to use some network tools to prevent unauthorized IPs from initiating a connection. Sure the IP can be spoofed and all but it's better than nothing. I use IP based access rules together with a SSH proxy virtual machine. This does two things: allows connections from my allowed list of IPs, and then requires an encryption key to login to SSH (no password authentication). Once in to the SSH proxy I can forward ports as needed (ie: pt 3389). Without password authentication there isn't much to brute force, even if they do happen to spoof a correct IP and get access to the SSH server login.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Addict
    teamviewer 8
    Ultra VNC

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindFreddie View Post

I was leaving the port for Windoze Rmote Desktop (3389) open in my modem/router's firewall for me to log in when away.
    Forgot to close the access after my return. I couldn't work out why there was a 2nd winlogon process appearing & disappearing in task manager every second or so, until I noticed the network activity LED on the machine flashing in little bursts every sec or so when the network should have been quiet. Average of 14kBps dowloading, which would be a real nuisance if you've got limited bandwidth or quota. I tracked it down to unauthorised login attempts via remote desktop. I got the IP address of the source, found his ISP (location Amsterdam) and the ISP's range of IPs and firewalled them out. Network was immediately quiet. For a while. A couple of weeks later it was happening again, this time from ISP Hutchison/Hong Kong.
    I disabled port 3389, and that's why I'm here ...
    I'm not that familiar with WRD, but surely there's a setting to limit the number of login attempts in a given time period. Three per IP per 24 hours should be tight enough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i use tightvnc. it's small, secure and doesn't interfere with crunching or folding. you can use the ultra vnc standalone client with it as well. so no install for the client. it has good session control and supports various encryption protocols. you can change the port settings and limit access to specific ip's, etc

Xtreme Cruncher
    Team viewer they would be brute force attacking your teamviewer account, not individual computers as you log into your teamviewer account to gain access to your machines. It also has whitelisting and blacklisting capabilities as well.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea deluxe View Post
    Ultra VNC
    yep thats what I use, really anything works, if it works

Xtreme Member
    I use Logmein for both professional and personal use.
    Main advantage to me is that even if you have access to the webinterface, you will still be asked for valid account credentials that are valid for the target PC, like domain account, local admin, whatever :P.
    So even when you lose control over the webconsole there is no instant access from any potential attacker.

Never tried it on Linux systems, but I usually have some sort of VPN or SSH for that :P

Main Rig:
    - i7 2600k + Noctua NH-C14 - GTX 570
    - 16 GB RAM - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    - 1x 256GB Corsair Performance Pro SSD
    - 1x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD

Agree on Teamviewer being pretty straightforward and easy. Use it on all my systems as an easy way to remote in from my phone and make changes if needed.

For monitoring I like PC Monitor. Installs on the computer, you use the app on your phone. Allows complete control of PC through app with easy access to hardware details.

Mostly like PC Monitor for its sending of alerts based on user defined conditions. Have it setup to send alerts if temperature on CPU cores pases a certain temp. Also have it setup to send a notification if a process stops, use that to let me know if Boinc.exe/mgr stopped. Have had that happen a couple of times.