Thread: The future of GPU crunching

Xtreme Legend

The future of GPU crunching

A question and the given answer over at WCG

Q
    Soon all projects optimized for GPU?

HCC ends in 37 days, is there a chance that other projects are optimized for the GPU?

[Mar 30, 2013 8:58:08 AM]
    ...and the reply:

SekeRob
    Community Advisor

Ah, zarck. What gave you the impression anything else would be "optimized" for GPU. The message is unchanged. Only particular sciences can be ported, AND must have enough run time. Given a typical project gets about 50-60 computing years per day, it would need a project that would last at least 6 months so say 55*180 or roughly 10,000 computing years, else WCG wont board them... simple as that. Too costly to host anything smaller. None 'are' and none will be far as CA's know coming along, so if there were, it would be a rather big surprise for everyone. Stay tuned and lock in to the Beta Announcement forum where the first word would be spoken in public. No sooner as per WCG practiced policy.

edit: As for the HCC ending... in 6 days the number will be frozen at 31 till an official update is made. Read posts by cubes or any of the techs, often (by) Viktors.
    Make hay while the sun shines Gentlemen, for in about 5 weeks, things they are a changin'

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    That makes things easier for me. No longer do I need to contemplate getting another GPU for HCC, and my power bill will be cut way down. It's amazing how quickly this project has been completed with the power of GPUs.

Xtreme Member
    We need to up our work load now!

Xtreme Member
    Message received. Upped my WU's for the 7770 to 16. So far so good.

I may have something else to help for the long run, assuming that all the parts work once I get them.....
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit