Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 77

Thread: AMD to cuts up to 30 percent of its work force..

  1. #51
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,977
    Indeed, AMD is trying to navigate some very tough times at the moment, best wishes to those people on the bubble.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

  2. #52
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    163
    AMD need to push hard for heterogeneous computing. Based on the anandtech bench of the handbrake openCL version, with GPU accelerated apps + steamroller, AMD will definitely close the gap to Intel to an acceptable level.

  3. #53
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg83 View Post
    so, in other words. expensive employees are the cause of the loss and they need to move to mexico like general motors to remain competitive in the NAFTA
    and 100 million of that loss, was on overproducing llano processors and then having to write it down.

    are these actual cost losses, or imaginary sale losses?

    what is that $30 million in losses, not accounted for by llano overproduction. if they sold it for less before hand, it would have all sold and there wouldn't have been all this being wrote down. hopefully now they focus more on cheap labor and making product to sell. instead of some game for king of the hill.

    and what better time to buy up all those public stocks and privatize the company again.
    Engineers and employees in general are expensive. They aren't the cause of the loss, but the current management doesn't believe they can afford the amount of emplyees they have long term and keep the company afloat. None of this has anything to do with NAFTA, moving jobs to Mexico, or any such thing. Even with a discount, OEMs won't pile up processors they don't think they can sell, because it is a liability for them as well, so just chopping the price isn't a solution.

  4. #54
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Troy Wisconsin
    Posts
    707
    Lets all just hope if this is true that its just "trimming the fat" of the work force.
    HAF922 (3 fan upgraded) 700w ModXtreme
    MSI GD-65 // HIS 5850 // Saitek Esclipse
    Core i5 750 @ 3.32Ghz (OC Genie) Megahalem w/ 1200rpm Scythe Slipstream
    G. Skill RipJaws DDR3 2000 4x2 gig
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB // 5:1 Dell Surround
    24inch Samsung ToC // MX518

  5. #55
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Miichiigan
    Posts
    516
    I really feel bad for AMD.
    Competition is a must in a free market, and AMD is Intel's only real competition in the x86/ 64 market.
    I think my next system I buy will contain and AMD setup.
    I'm only exacerbating the situation by continuously buying Intel chips.
    Heatware, Ebay, Facebook
    Current Laptop:
    Cyber Power PC
    Xplorer X1M
    Intel Core i7 3610qm
    8GB DDR3 1333
    240GB OCZ Agility
    Nvidia Geforce GT650m 2GB GDDR5
    1TB Toshiba external portable drive

    Backup Laptop:
    Asus G60JX
    Intel Core i7 720qm
    8GB DDR3 1333
    256GB ADATA
    Nvidia Geforce GTS 360m 1GB GDDR5
    640GB Western Digital external portable drive

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    566
    You are 100% correct!

    In addition AMD products are good products that provide excellent value, especially Trinity laptop/desktop and now Vishera. Opteron products aren't bad either but AMD needs to up their game a bit. Dollar-for-dollar AMD delivers as much or more than Intel and hardware review sites are finally starting to point this out. Few people buy the over-hyped, super high price model APU, CPU, GPU.

    One very good reason not to buy Intel products - if you have a moral compass, is because of their chronic violations of law and extreme efforts to eliminate competition and more importantly consumer choice. If AMD didn't exist you would still be paying $600 for the equivalent of a P90...

    Consumers have extreme power if they are smart enough to use it. With competition, Intel must lower their prices to maintain sales volume. If enough people buy AMD, Intel will be forced to lower their prices, guaranteed.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 10-22-2012 at 06:00 PM.

  7. #57
    Xtremely High Voltage Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    16,043
    look, I'm an AMD fan, but I'm running an i7-2600k. Why? Because AMD failed to deliver. No, Intel delivered much, much more for my dollar this time around. Had AMD been comparable I would have bought an AMD in a heartbeat. I waited, Bulldozer came, disappointed the crap out of me, and I got SB.

    And please, don't appeal to the "moral compass" thing. I have one. What intel did in the past was bad. I'm not so sure they're still doing the same. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that intel wins the performance crown handily in most cases (obviously in some things they still suck, their GPU stuff is still sad lol). And we all know where we would be if intel was the only player. But at the same time, if someone is going for all out power I'm not going to tell them to buy AMD. That said, the vast majority of PCs I build for people are AMD because in most of the cases AMD has the bang/buck or the features needed at particular price points.

    My parents only have a Core 2 right now because I got the CPU/board for free (mostly due to previous user error lol) and it was faster than their old system. If I had built them a rig with newer parts it would most likely be AMD as that would easily do all they need at a little nicer price point.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

  8. #58
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West hartford, CT
    Posts
    2,792
    i dunno how rory read is not fired yet?

    i understand hes trying his hardest to pick AMD up off the floor, but man AMD has a history of horrible management and seems like every page they turn its another problem

    they deserve whatever they get.

    im with charlie.... AMD's board has no idea wtf they r doing they should be fired lol

    temesh, kabini, and kaveri seem like a long long long way off i dunno how they survive until then.
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    look, I'm an AMD fan, but I'm running an i7-2600k. Why? Because AMD failed to deliver. No, Intel delivered much, much more for my dollar this time around. Had AMD been comparable I would have bought an AMD in a heartbeat. I waited, Bulldozer came, disappointed the crap out of me, and I got SB.

    And please, don't appeal to the "moral compass" thing. I have one. What intel did in the past was bad. I'm not so sure they're still doing the same. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that intel wins the performance crown handily in most cases (obviously in some things they still suck, their GPU stuff is still sad lol). And we all know where we would be if intel was the only player. But at the same time, if someone is going for all out power I'm not going to tell them to buy AMD. That said, the vast majority of PCs I build for people are AMD because in most of the cases AMD has the bang/buck or the features needed at particular price points.

    My parents only have a Core 2 right now because I got the CPU/board for free (mostly due to previous user error lol) and it was faster than their old system. If I had built them a rig with newer parts it would most likely be AMD as that would easily do all they need at a little nicer price point.
    You're entitled to spend your money whatever way makes you happy.

    Most people don't just ignore the past to create momentary joy, if they really have a moral compass or understand the laws of supply and demand - which is even more important than instant gratification. I'm sure that AMD is doing all that they can to meet your needs. They seem to be supplying the products that most people desire. There is nothing that an Intel CPU can do that an AMD CPU can't do except inflate synthetic benches. This reality is lost on many people however.

    As noted in the past, very few people percentage wise buy the highest priced, over-hyped CPU. The thinking man buys what best serves his needs at the best price. They don't get caught up in the hype. They understand that benches are synthetic and do not always represent actual PC performance. They use accurate information to make informed decisions that meet their needs.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 10-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.

  10. #60
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,657
    When you only have two brands to choose from you generally choose the stronger brand name with only minimal knowledge of the product.

    Most folks don't buy all generic grocery's even though all you need is the calories, the cheapest car that suits their needs, the cheapest adequate clothing, the cheapest motor oil for their car, the cheapest smart phone for their needs, the cheapest tools that fundamentally perform that same task as expensive brands, etc.

    Business is straight forward, sell people something they want to buy and make enough profit in the process to support the business.

    AMD has diluted their branding and profitability by trying to competing with low ASP's rather than selling the strengths of their product which killed brand perception like a cheap knock off part.

    When AMD had highly competitive offerings they had high ASP's and profits to match, like $1000 FX cpu's, cheapest entry level dual core was around $300 if I remember correctly.

    The only "over" hyping I have seen with cpu launches has more often than not come from the AMD side to be honest.
    Last edited by highoctane; 10-22-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

    Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

    AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

  11. #61
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    You are 100% correct!

    In addition AMD products are good products that provide excellent value, especially Trinity laptop/desktop and now Vishera. Opteron products aren't bad either but AMD needs to up their game a bit. Dollar-for-dollar AMD delivers as much or more than Intel and hardware review sites are finally starting to point this out. Few people buy the over-hyped, super high price model APU, CPU, GPU.

    One very good reason not to buy Intel products - if you have a moral compass, is because of their chronic violations of law and extreme efforts to eliminate competition and more importantly consumer choice. If AMD didn't exist you would still be paying $600 for the equivalent of a P90...

    Consumers have extreme power if they are smart enough to use it. With competition, Intel must lower their prices to maintain sales volume. If enough people buy AMD, Intel will be forced to lower their prices, guaranteed.
    Ah. So we should keep buying bad AMD processors so intel will sell their good processors to people other than us for less? Do we ever get to buy the good processors? Or are we just supposed to keep buying the bad ones so other people get good prices on the good ones?
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

  12. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Ah. So we should keep buying bad AMD processors so intel will sell their good processors to people other than us for less? Do we ever get to buy the good processors? Or are we just supposed to keep buying the bad ones so other people get good prices on the good ones?
    Actually AMD doesn't sell any "bad processors" though many uninformed consumers are unaware of this fact. I suggest people vote their conscience.

    The "over-hyping" is Intel $1000 processors, $300 Ivy Bridge CPUs that run hot and don't overclock well, etc.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 10-22-2012 at 08:53 PM.

  13. #63
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,192
    For $300 tell me something that competes from AMD.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

  14. #64
    Xtremely High Voltage Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    16,043
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    You're entitled to spend your money whatever way makes you happy.

    Most people don't just ignore the past to create momentary joy, if they really have a moral compass or understand the laws of supply and demand - which is even more important than instant gratification. I'm sure that AMD is doing all that they can to meet your needs. They seem to be supplying the products that most people desire. There is nothing that an Intel CPU can do that an AMD CPU can't do except inflate synthetic benches. This reality is lost on many people however.

    As noted in the past, very few people percentage wise buy the highest priced, over-hyped CPU. The thinking man buys what best serves his needs at the best price. They don't get caught up in the hype. They understand that benches are synthetic and do not always represent actual PC performance. They use accurate information to make informed decisions that meet their needs.
    Uh, no. For what I do there is a very clear difference between the two. Trust me, if there wasn't I'd still be running my AMD rig. Stop with your "you're stupid/immoral/etc if you buy intel" speech (that's at least how it is coming across). I didn't buy the highest priced over hyped CPU. A 2600k was hardly the highest priced CPU out there. Plus I got it used Ivy Bridge, well, I'm not convinced on it since it has poor thermals and is not near enough of a speed boost to worry about given what I have now. Even if I didn't I'd still probably go for SB over IB because of the reasons listed.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

  15. #65
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    Actually AMD doesn't sell any "bad processors" though many uninformed consumers are unaware of this fact. I suggest people vote their conscience.

    The "over-hyping" is Intel $1000 processors, $300 Ivy Bridge CPUs that run hot and don't overclock well, etc.
    I'm a computer gamer. My conscience can't give me minimum framerates with a single gpu or scaling with two or more, and neither can a FX8350. (not to mention the extra 80+ watts of heat in the case) Sorry intel just offers more balanced solutions.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

  16. #66
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,192
    We are long past AMD being able to compete. Its just a slow demise until or if they break the big blue up. With ARM coming quick they may not need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

  17. #67
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    163
    Yeah there's a anantech benchmark showing a trinity getting above 100% improvement with a GPU accelerated app, but i don't see enough GPU accelerated apps out there so that AMD can rely so much on APU's.

  18. #68
    Wanna look under my kilt?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Glasgow-ish U.K.
    Posts
    4,455
    wrong thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

    why?
    ______

    Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

  19. #69
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    wrong thread?
    more like hilarious thread, Tajoh and SA at their best. I was searching for the "AMD won't make it past 2012" but couldn't find it.

  20. #70
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West hartford, CT
    Posts
    2,792
    It is pretty amazing that AMD is still around

    Round of applause
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

  21. #71
    Xtreme Member AbortRetryFail?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    367
    With the never-ending, on-going raging flammability of Tajoh's pantaloons, it's surprising we have not seen his spontaneous combustion ...

  22. #72
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,432
    ahh this was quite the funny/frustrating thread back in the day.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

  23. #73
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia / Europe
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post
    With the never-ending, on-going raging flammability of Tajoh's pantaloons, it's surprising we have not seen his spontaneous combustion ...
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

  24. #74
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    look, I'm an AMD fan, but I'm running an i7-2600k. Why? Because AMD failed to deliver. No, Intel delivered much, much more for my dollar this time around. Had AMD been comparable I would have bought an AMD in a heartbeat. I waited, Bulldozer came, disappointed the crap out of me, and I got SB...
    I fully agree and faced the same exact situation as you. I liked AMD because it was the first system I ever built, and I continued to buy them until it was no longer a good decision due to performance differences.
    In the end, every smart buyer will take the best performance for his dollar, but there will be a bottom line, and AMD is delivering below that line on a lot of CPUs save a few...
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

  25. #75
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Budaors, Hungary.
    Posts
    143
    They were back in the black last quarter, their APUs seem to be doing fine, the graphics department is doing fine... I call BS.

    "We are going to hell, so bring your sunblock..."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •