Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 Extreme OC session with Team.AU boys with a bunch of world records

Cool GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 Extreme OC session with Team.AU boys with a bunch of world records

Hey fellas,

It's been a long time since i started a thread on any forum sheesh. Forums have generally been quiet, wouldnt surprise me if Sandy Bridge had a bit to do with it also but extreme is back with Intel Ivy Bridge and what better way to unleash but to crank a nice CPU with the GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7.

TeamAU boys creating havoc in these sessions
    • SniperOZ
    • Bob(nz)
    • Uncle Fester
    • dinos22

HiCookie and Vivi joined in the party as well

Test system:

• GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 (F3 OC bios > get it here thanks to Stasio!)
    • GIGABYTE GTX580SOC GPU
    • GIGABYTE 7970 GPU (with GHz core)
    • Intel Core i7 3770K
    • Corsair Dominator Platinum (Samsung ICs)
    • G.Skill Trident X (Samsung ICs)
    • Kingpin Fatty GPU pot
    • Kingpin Venom CPU pot (AWESOME!)
    • Corsair AX1200 (single card)
    • CoolerMaster 1500W (for full 4WAY LN2 rig, it's awesome )
    • Windows XP Pro and Win7 64bit

Evil pot

There's a whole bunch of stuff that's very handy for extreme OC crowds with this board. i'll go over a couple of things that have been very handy for me

LN2 switch. What it does is drop your multi to 16x straight away as soon as you flick it. Anything you bench to the max/on the edge would have given some nervous moments if you've ever lost runs on screenshots. i know i have and this really is a great piece of mind. it's a hardware switch and it works 100% as it should every time. It also helps keep the pot cooler when you're trying to have a quick bench session and want to bring the temp down. If you are shooting for quick benchmarks like frequency or 1M etc etc you can also use it to get a few more degrees on the CPU before you crank the benchmark. Works a treat with Aquamark3 also as you can start the bench and flick the switch while it loads and flick it back as it finishes. I used it with my 3DMARK01 benching as well between tests when i was running on the edge. You'll probably pick up extra CPU frequency in benchmarks like that easily.

This shot has a couple of other things on there which can come in handy. You can disable dual bios and select specific bios to test with. Might be handy for troubleshooting. I've mainly had it in default position to be honest.

The black PCIe 16x slot is bypassing PLX chip so you can bench single card via that slot which should not add latency. In early testing we found that 2way, 3way and 4way was actually faster via PLX chip so that should be the ideal lane config for any number of cards to bench. Black slot is also away from the CPU pot and PLX a bit so that is kinda good for single card with fat pot and fat insulation on the back of the first card. I try not to let condensation and ice buildup stop the session a bit early hence the fat foam on back of GPUs

The board is real nice for some hardcore 3D benching. We've benched with a whole bunch of CPUs and cards and it just kept going. One thing that id didnt like as most others is condensation in DIMM slots and you have to take it easy with grease or it can give a headache if there's too much.

I've only benched with Samsung based ICs like G.Skill TridentX and a bit with Corsair Dominators also as they are good for just about everything other than 32M SuperPi, that's right, even 3D01 is faster with them. I did get some emails from a couple of guys testing with PSCs not clocking too great and probably a little better on the UD5H or UP5 once you dial them in properly. i havent had a chance to play yet but just passing on what i know so far as im sure there would be a few interested guys.

Bottom line though it is turning into a cracker extreme overclocking board. I like how predictable the behaviour is and it just does what you want every time. We've put it though it's paces in a bunch of different benchmarks and if OC drops off usually you've just lost mount and have to remount or if things are playing up it might be DIMM slots if you dont use grease or have really good airflow. Everyone benches and insulates differently but ive found greasing up the board a bit with vasoline and then toilet paper in the cracks (LOL) and some towels on top with good airflow works best.

GIGABYTE Tweak Launcher (GTL) mod
    For those of you that dont have a UP7 youngpro come up with an awesome "mod" for the GIGABYTE Tweak Launcher (GTL) Software. I have a full guide in the GIGABYTE Extreme OC section at Kingpin forum, jump over here and find out how to control CPU frequency with just Function keys and nothing else (it works AWESOME).

Indepth look at GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7
    Here is a really detailed look at the UP7 board also which covers some serious details you won't see anywhere else
    http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1974
    Thanks Sin0822!

TeamAU boys had a bench session with UP7s recently and put together a few nice runs. Btw Team.AU on HWBOT is made up of youngpro, dinos22 and Uncle Fester who've joined into this one account as HWBOT will move to a different style of competition for Pro OC (teams). We live far away and dont really bench together that much but for a lot of guys that is not the case and they do bench a lot together and suspicions sometimes get raised (whether for wrong or right reasons). Anyways we've already made the move.

We took out the Unigine Heaven DX11 world record. CPU was at 6.2GHz while three GIGABYTE 7970 OC graphics cards were running at 1600/1800 Crossfire frequencies.

For more results visit www.hwbot.org.

Score link

3DMARK03 4way global world record was also smashed on the same platform with 7970 4way crossfire!

CPU was at 6.66GHz

Score link

Team.AU also dropped another score with CPU clocking at 6.7GHz and a third fastest 3DMARK01 in the world.

pretty stoked with this one even though there was a fair bit more left in the run.

Score link

We also did some 4WAY 3DMARK06 which we'll redo at some point with a better chip

Score Link

Aquamark3 CPU frequency was only possible because of the LN2 switch. Efficiency wasnt great as we didnt really plan to bench this and didnt prep for it. We'll redo this with a nice 7970 and a good OS and an even higher clocking CPU

Last edited by Team.AU; 10-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    awesome benching men, and excellent writeup.

The venom pot is teh sex, makes me wish I would have bought a gold one as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Awesome results and great looking board keep up the good work
    Member of the Austraila OC Hwbot Team

Xtreme Member
    great results guys and a great write up too.

congratulations on the world records!
    Work/Gaming: i7-950|GB X58A-UD7|12GB Trident BBSE/XMS3|460GTX|WD 1TB BLK|Pioneer DVDRW|CM HAF-X|Win 7 Pro 64 bit|U2711|HX850|G500|G510
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    I protect my gskills like how i protect my balls
    Heatware: jimba86
    Bench:Custom Giga-bench|Win 7/XP SP3|WD 36GB Raptor|Dell 22|AX1200|MS intellimouse
    Bench 1:i7 930|water 2.0 performer|Gigabyte X58A-OC | 4GB corsair 1866 CL7|GTX 295 Quad SLI
    Bench 2:E8500|NHD14|P45-UD3P(2nd PCIEx16 slot broken.. )|2GB Corsair 8888 Cl4|GTX 260 SOC
    (Bench 3: In Progress) 4770K|F1EE|Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force| 4GB GTX1 /8GB Gskill TridentX 2666CL11 ney pro|5870 x3 on KPC tek9 slim 5.0/7.0
    Bench 4 E8600|NHD14|REX|2GB Corsair 1800 Cl7|Asus GTX 280
    Bench 5 (TBC): FX?|990FX-UD7|Gskill Flare 2000 Cl7|6970
    Server/renderbox: G3258|TT Water 2.0|Gigabyte Z87 Sniper M5|8GB Gskill Sniper 2133|gigabyte 5750|FD NODE 804

Awesome Scores. Congratulations on the world records
    Sorry for my bad english

take me to the manbar
    wicked stuff!

Fester pulled off a nice 3dmark06 4-way record in the end. UP7 is ready for domination

Aussie God
    Good god that is a sexy setup!
    Amazing looking pot by the master himself, Vinb0.

Good results, y u no convert to European?

Cheeky question, Dino, can you please send me details on modding for GTX580 SOC, the SOC Tuner does not work in XP for me.
    Last edited by M.Beier; 10-12-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

I am Xtreme
    nice job guys!

Xtreme Legend
    hey Vivi, it was good catching up with ya mate. too bad we didnt get another go on that GTX680 of yours with a proper clocking CPU. that would have raped dude
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Champion
    WOW. Fantastic mb
    2010 MSI MOA Grand Final #4
    2011 MSI MOA APAC #2
    2012 MSI MOA APAC #4
    2012 MSI MOA Grand Final #1 Champion

take me to the manbar
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    hey Vivi, it was good catching up with ya mate. too bad we didnt get another go on that GTX680 of yours with a proper clocking CPU. that would have raped dude
    likewise. Some 3dmark06 would have been delicious!

Great job, Im a fan of this team.... and board.
    UD7 / I950 / OCZ SSD / PATRIOT DDR3 8 8 8 24 2000MHZ / 600 watt psu.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by batlecryawesome View Post
    Great job, Im a fan of this team.... and board.
    thanks dude!
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Member
    Great results, and I might say great board...TEAM AU rocks as always....

Xtreme Member
    We need more of those hilarious Team AU livestreams lads!
    My pot is bigger than your pot

WHAU!!!!

XIP
    Awesome looking board

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    Awesome looking board
    the board IS awesome. Looking at the AM3 result, it gives me hope for my chip with the ln2 switch. Hopefully I can pull a bit more efficiency out of my 32m using 2 cores
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme Member
    Great results guys

By the way...is F3 BIOS best for extreme overclocking on UP7? on air I think that F4 is a little better than F3

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Storm View Post
    Great results guys

By the way...is F3 BIOS best for extreme overclocking on UP7? on air I think that F4 is a little better than F3
    1.85v vcore limitation with F4.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gappo View Post
    We need more of those hilarious Team AU livestreams lads!
    maaaaan dont mention that. we go a bit nuts on livestream and never do anything properly hahahah

we're collectively thinking livestream is a curse cause we just turn into clowns and totally forget about overclocking LMAO
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Storm View Post
    Great results guys

what seems to have improved mate?
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Pie assassin
    what seems to have improved mate?
    psc compatibility seems to have been improved ever so slightly... i can pass a 32m at a little higher than 2560 on f4. f3 2520ish is the limit for me (not at home to pull exact numbers.)

silver wall jumper X
    Awesome results and great looking board!!! How long was that bench session? All in one go?

Xtreme Legend
    it was over a bunch of days, it was all virgin gear that needed testing, modding (GPU shims and couple of resistors) and testing. Bought a few chips also and found a nice 3D chip so it all came together on the last day just about
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

silver wall jumper X
    it was over a bunch of days, it was all virgin gear that needed testing, modding (GPU shims and couple of resistors) and testing. Bought a few chips also and found a nice 3D chip so it all came together on the last day just about

Great work! Sounds like fun times!!! Was dusting off some gear in the last few days too, hopefully I get lucky with a nice 3D chip too one day Looks like a super solid platform you guys were benching on! How was the coldbug/coldboot?

So still going at it? Were is 05!!!???
    Last edited by mike; 10-18-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast