Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon RAMDisk Released

Xtreme Addict

AMD Radeon RAMDisk Released

AMD's Radeon RAMDisk software, launched along with its desktop A-Series "Trinity" APUs, is being pitched to consumers as a trial software. A combination of A-Series "Trinity" APUs and AMD-certified memory lets you use the software to create a RAMDisk which works in conjuction with the primary HDD/SSD much in the same way as Intel Smart Response tech or NVELO Dataplex, it's just that the cache SSD is replaced by the system memory, an infinitely faster and more durable caching medium. The software juggles data from the primary drive to the RAMDisk based on its heat (frequency of access). Used with DDR3-1600 MHz memory, users could see data access speeds of up to 25.6 GB/s (gigabytes per second), a 1,700-times speedup over conventional HDD. When off the trial, a license to use the software can be bought for $19.
    Source: Techpowerup

I have downloaded the trial. Its limited to 4gig because I have Corsair not the rebranded OCZ. Ram usage is currently 86% while cores are stable 1-3%. I'm going to stick with the trial and use it for a week before I commit 20 bucks.
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So instead of caching the RAM memory on the HDD, it caches it in a second set of RAM??? Can we just say Redundancy department of Redundancy. Or am I just being naive?
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Addict
    ^^^^^
    Wha? Since when has anyone ever cached RAM on a hard drive?
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's taking a portion of your available RAM and creates a caching tier that it will cache data from HDD/SSD onto.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    ^^^^^
    Page file

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    ^^^^^
    Edit: I just realized the absurdity of this comment. You do it everyday. Im doing it now and so are you unless you turned it off....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    It's taking a portion of your available RAM and creates a caching tier that it will cache data from HDD/SSD onto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    Page file
    I know what page filing is. If you have enough RAM to create a RAM Disk to page file, you dont need to page file. Just turn it off...
    Last edited by StAndrew; 10-11-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Addict
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    Just buy an SSD instead

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    I found this interesting:

Test conducted in AMD Labs measuring read and write speed performance of AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk using Crystal Disk Mark 3.0.1 benchmark versus the HDD. Hard disk had sequential read speed of 72.7MB/s and write speed of 70.92MB/s versus the RAMDisk sequential read speed of 6150MB/s and write speed of 8694MB/s. Specifications: CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K RAM: 16 GB AMD Entertainment Edition Memory 1600 Mhz 8-9-8-24, Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-VDeluxe, System: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition: HDD: Western Digital Raptor 10000 RPM 73 GB: RAMDisk: 8GB. RMD-2
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Interesting. Im still a bit confused though. I mean, from what I understand it basically works as a HDD cache in the RAM. But since RAM cannot store data after it loses power (ie. shutdown) doesnt it have to be copied back into the RAM after the PC boots up? Shouldnt take long though

Im downloading it, hope it supports my Z68
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

SLC
    Isn't this just standard ramdisk software from dataram with an AMD logo on it? I used that software for many months before. It works well, although keep in mind that the speed up you will see in games will be minimal in comparison to a decent SSD.

From a LOT of testing, the game load times were something in this realm:

From HDD - 20s
    From normal SSD (like an M4 Raid0) - 9s
    From fast SSD (IOdrive Raid0) - 8s
    From Ramdisk - 7s

So yes, it is faster but only a little since once you switch to SSDs, the limit is your CPU speed for the most part.

If this is ramdisk software, then all it does is create a new storage space on your PC where you can place things. So, to take advantage, you usually need to put your entire game on it (and thus you need loads of RAM).
    Last edited by One_Hertz; 10-11-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Edit: I just realized the absurdity of this comment. You do it everyday. Im doing it now and so are you unless you turned it off....
    keyword: caching

definition of cache: "component that transparently stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster"

a pagefile is not used for speed purposes; it's used for storage purposes.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    keyword: caching

definition of cache: "component that transparently stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster"

a pagefile is not used for speed purposes; it's used for storage purposes.
    You're splitting hairs. I still dont see why you would make a RAM disk for page file .
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anyone that cares about RAMDisk may want to check this Thread I made in Flat Assembler Forum less than two months ago. It will give you a lot of insight and ideas of where it can be useful. It is a niche reserved for true power users, didn't saw current generation enthusiasts toying with these.
    Also, if you want a freeware utility without the ridiculous low 4 GB limit, you may want to try Gavotte RAMDisk instead.

Already using Asrock XFast RAM for some time and I think is the same...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/

Imdisk here is a free RAMdisk. Someone has also made a guide on how to make a RAMDisk on boot/etc. So some of us may have asked the advantage of ramdisks? Well, for one, some apps crash without pagefiles for no reason, and call it placebo, I got the feeling that windows still does some sort of caching on the drive elsewhere with pagefile disabled. IMO, SSDs fixes everything.

Also, on those rare occasions where I had to burn 100 DVDs, I plug in my DVD-RW array, put the .iso image in the RAMdisk, and start burning.

I may have sung praises for RAMdisks but I haven't found a good reason to have a permanent one in my computer yet. Also, I kinda need all 16 GB on my computer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, people also uses it for browser caches as these bypasses pagefiles. As for why they didn't turn off the cache in the first place, well, chrome doesn't allow you to do that, and it seems to be faster, which is also probably placebo. For Firefox, I'm not sure but there's probably some sort of code path that sucks if cache is disabled. I'm not obsessed enough to check the caching code for firefox or chrome though.

IMO either browser got their own problems. Chrome locking up as it shoves the main thread to focus on the loading site, rather than only specify like 90% load to it. Firefox and its horrible plugin-container, and there's a bug that didn't let us disable it. Oh well. (I always got that feeling that Firefox 3.6 and the early Firefox webgl alphas were faster. Too bad, they both don't have HTML5)

Please try to ignore my browser posts as those were off-topic. My bad.
    Last edited by blindbox; 10-11-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    You're splitting hairs. I still dont see why you would make a RAM disk for page file .
    ...splitting hairs? thats the entire purpose of a cache in the first place. if its not to improve speed, what the hell is the point of L1, L2, and L3?

not sure why you're so confused...its just a ramdisk.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_chill View Post
    Just buy an SSD instead
    I think this would be much faster actually.
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i use primo ramdisk ultimate myself. setup a few ram drives for at bootup for users folder, program files and common files along with temp. uses about 10GB of ram, but not all are saved. saving once adds no time to shut down, and very rarely do i reboot the computer, although it adds no noticeable time to bootup. For small apps like comodo dragon and my users folders, it was a very noticeable performance improvement.

With 32GB of ram, i still have space to put my game of choice TF2 onto a ram disk when i want to play that also. If nothing else it saves on disk writes to the SSD, especially since its faster to load ram disk images to ram from HD storage in my raid 0 then it was from the SSD, being single files in >GB sizes.

Overall its awesome, the setup i true imaged and if anything goes wrong i just restore it in 3 minutes and update my software once i get into windows, even though most is already upto date stored on ram disks for program files and users directories.

It actually made a massive difference in web browsing and youtube experience to have it all in ram.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    Isn't this just standard ramdisk software from dataram with an AMD logo on it?
    Yes.

/thread

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    ...splitting hairs? thats the entire purpose of a cache in the first place. if its not to improve speed, what the hell is the point of L1, L2, and L3?

not sure why you're so confused...its just a ramdisk.
    The way I read it, it was to improve page file speeds (ie, for me, cache the RAM). In my experience, if you have enough RAM to create a RAM disk for page file, just turning off Page file would be more benefitial . I can see how installing programs on the RAM disk for quicker loading would be nice...
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This program sounds similar to FancyCache. FC functions as a buffer between the cpu and hard drive system to cache data for much quicker retrieval. FC gets the same HDD bench test scores because of the efficiency of caching to physical ram. With FC, the user can specify how much ram to associate with the target HDD.

FC is only beta, freebie, as long as the beta doesn't expire. So far, when the beta expires, go to the above link & redownload the latest beta. Been using for the past 8 months. It works well. Very cool to see another software product that's similar to it. These programs make sense of having >8 G ram.
    Last edited by Sailindawg; 10-12-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

I am Xtreme
    i looked into ram disks about 4 years ago when i got my first SSD to help extend its life. it was a waste of time then, and i dont see it that different now.

AMD needs to be more worried about laptops being sold with dual channel ram as the standard first. its killing their APUs.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Regarding to this...

A combination of A-Series "Trinity" APUs and AMD-certified memory lets you use the software to create a RAMDisk which works in conjuction with the primary HDD/SSD much in the same way as Intel Smart Response tech or NVELO Dataplex, it's just that the cache SSD is replaced by the system memory, an infinitely faster and more durable caching medium. The software juggles data from the primary drive to the RAMDisk based on its heat (frequency of access).
    A RAMDisk does NOT work like that. It could possibily can, but you will need Software support (Mostly from OS side I suppose) for being able to use a RAMDisk for caching a SSD/HDD. The only thing that a RAMDisk should be able to do to be considered one is reserving RAM space then presenting it to the OS as if it was a dull storage device instead of system RAM, it doesn't need to have any specialized functionality. And considering that this Radeon RAMDisk tool is based on DataRAM, I doubt it does so, because I don't recall hearing that DataRAM was capable of adding any sort of caching layer when I was looking for a RAMDisk tool 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i looked into ram disks about 4 years ago when i got my first SSD to help extend its life. it was a waste of time then, and i dont see it that different now.
    RAMDisk were always useful for the few people that had an actual use for them. Every now and then you will hear some guy talking wonders about RAMDisk to use as Adobe applications Scratch Disk, for Browser or some other applications caching, etc. They do wonders for many of these. They're faster than a SSD, it doesn't have wear issues like an SSD do, and considering that all these fall into "temporal files" category, restarting the machine will automatically clean up everything there. Oh, and you CAN use a RAMDisk without needing to have an SSD, meaning that the potential users could be much higher (Assuming you already have lots of RAM installed).
    However, what hinders RAMDisk is usually capacity. You could manage to get caching under control in a 1 GB RAMDisk, something that any actual machine could afford to do. Now, try to make a RAMDisk big enough to copy World of Warcraft or any 10 GB+ game. Either you have the capacity, or you don't, and almost everyone will fall in the second category. That means that you need a ton of investment on RAM capacity to actually make a RAMDisk big enough for gaming purposes. But considering that there is ton of people around here that spends 400 U$D per big component (CPU, GPU, Motherboard), at current prices not getting 16/32 GB of RAM is pretty stupid. Possibily many will regret not getting RAM now that is dirt cheap than if there is any other natural catastrophe that destroys a DRAM manufacturer facility that makes price skyrocket like happened with Hard Disks.

Besides, a RAMDisk allows for some interesing hacks like the one I mentioned in the link I provided in my other Post. Albeit a bit TOO late to the party, being able to use all my 4 GB of RAM in good old WXP SP3 via a PAE-based RAMDisk with minimal configuration involved isn't something to not look at, right?
    Last edited by zir_blazer; 10-12-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    another reason i use ramdisk, making custom copies of windows with rt7lite. for temp folder and iso folder. making it so i can get it done in about 15 minutes, instead of over an hour of processing.

plus using it for users/temp/application program files directories and common files, the 5-8 seconds it added at startup, results in everything loaded immediately once in windows. thats pulling it from HD raid to ramdisk instead of my SSD, lowering reads and writes from the SSD. leaving only windows on the SSD at this time. it uses 10GB of my ram, but only has to load 4GB in image files.
    Makes web browsing etc super fact, installing programs from ramdisk to ramdisk is also very enjoyable :P

other day i saw 1600MHz 2x8GB corsairs at newegg.ca for $65 a pop, so its not expensive at all for 32GB of ram and i am expecting to see 16GB unbuffered dimms any time now with these prices.
    Last edited by Greg83; 10-12-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast