Thread: HELP: BSOD when putting in a encrypted laptop drive in pc

Xtreme Addict

HELP: BSOD when putting in a encrypted laptop drive in pc

I got a 250 gig laptop drive from a cousin of mine.
    I'm supposed to format it, and that's it.

It's pass encrypted.
    Back in the day I heard all you need to do is stick it in a pc and format it and the pass will be gone.
    I don't need to recover the info off it, just clear it and make it useable for the laptop it came with again...

Unfortunately, this is not working out.
    Windows takes a few mins to start.
    After getting to it, the disk manager doen't have the drive listed, device manager does though.
    After about a min of being in windows 7, it bsod's, no matter what.
    Does the 0x7e bsod thing.

The really bad thing is the usb stick I got is only 2 gigs and I can't fit linux, or windows on it .
    the laptop drive is taking up my dvd burner's sata cable and power cable, when it's hooked up anyways.

I'm wondering if I stick it in raid mode and used the raid bios to clear the drive (if there's an option for that, I think there might of been...)

If I had a working dos it would probably do the trick.
    But win7... I can't get a working emu in it so I can format my stick correctly for dos.
    Perhaps if I add dos using bcdedit to my ssd bootup drive... hmm
    I'm gonna have chill for a min and then try those 2 things.

Anyone have any ideas?

Update:
    I tried dos, it says write protect error in fdisk.
    I tried the raid rom, secure erase, didn't work still.

I'm out of idea's.
    It won't even let me format, causes win7 to bsod for no reason, etc.

What's really weird is that the last time I booted it into win7, for the heck of it I went into aida64 before it bsod'ed on me.
    It's a seagate drive, a 5400.4.
    Yet in aida64, the drive comes up as a wdc drive, western digital.
    And it's for sure not any of mine.
    I was looking at the details and it bsod'ed on me so whatevers.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to tell my cousin to charge the dude (who's laptop was sent to my cousin to be fixed).
    To charge for a new drive, ruffly 40-50 $.
    Plus the fee to do the work...

I freaking hate consumer baised encryption...
    It does not belong on consumer laptops...
    I still got my expensive ibm z61 that was pass protected when I bought it, can't even boot that pos.
    Ohwell ^^, it looks like a perfectly good drive is going in the trash, that bugs me but... what do you do.. ^^
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 10-06-2012 at 05:37 AM.

NooB MOD
    I know this thread is old, but you or your cousin might still have it and it might be salvageable. Download Hirens BootCD 15.2 and first run SeaTools on the drive to make sure it's fine. If it is, you can try one of the disk wiping utilities, I know there's a WD utility that'll do it included on the disc.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v