Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Response to GTX Series Voltage Control

Xtreme Enthusiast

Nvidia Response to GTX Series Voltage Control

Are you ready for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by brightsideofnews.com, 3rd October 2012
    We contacted Nvidia for comment and received a response from their Senior PR Manager, Bryan Del Rizzo with the following,

"Green Light was created to help ensure that all of the GTX boards in the market all have great acoustics, temperatures, and mechanicals. This helps to ensure our GTX customers get the highest quality product that runs quiet, cool, and fits in their PC. GTX is a measureable brand, and Green Light is a promise to ensure that the brand remains as strong as possible by making sure the products brought to market meet our highest quality requirements.

Reducing RMAs has never been a focus of Green Light.

We support overvoltaging up to a limit on our products, but have a maximum reliability spec that is intended to protect the life of the product. We don’t want to see customers disappointed when their card dies in a year or two because the voltage was raised too high.

Regarding overvoltaging above our max spec, we offer AICs two choices:

· Ensure the GPU stays within our operating specs and have a full warranty from NVIDIA.

· Allow the GPU to be manually operated outside specs in which case NVIDIA provides no warranty.

We prefer AICs ensure the GPU stays within spec and encourage this through warranty support, but it’s ultimately up to the AIC what they want to do. Their choice does not affect allocation. And this has no bearing on the end user warranty provided by the AIC. It is simply a warranty between NVIDIA and the AIC.

With Green Light, we don’t really go out of the way to look for ways that AICs enable manual OV. As I stated, this isn’t the core purpose of the program. Yes, you’ve seen some cases of boards getting out into the market with OV features only to have them disabled later. This is due to the fact that AICs decided later that they would prefer to have a warranty. This is simply a choice the AICs each need to make for themselves. How, or when they make this decision, is entirely up to them.

With regards to your MSI comment below, we gave MSI the same choice I referenced above -- change their SW to disable OV above our reliability limit or not obtain a warranty. They simply chose to change their software in lieu of the warranty. Their choice. It is not ours to make, and we don’t influence them one way or the other.

In short, Green Light is an especially important program for a major, new product introduction like Kepler, where our AICs don’t have a lot of experience building and working with our new technologies, but also extends the flexibility to AICs who provide a design that can operate outside of the reliability limits of the board. And, if you look at the products in the market today, there is obviously evidence of differentiation. You only need to look at the large assortment of high quality Kepler boards available today, including standard and overclocked editions."
    What does this mean for consumers?
    This essentially breaks down to giving consumers fewer options between their cards and limits the innovation that AIBs are capable of implementing in their products. If Nvidia is limiting the AIBs within a set of parameters on their non-reference cards, then they are hurting those board vendors' most profitable products. This gives consumers less choice, while enabling Nvidia to theoretically have lower RMAs. Such a program does, however, make sense if you think about the perception of Nvidia if all of their board partners are running amok. They obviously have to have a certain level of control over what their AIBs do with their GPUs if they are going to warranty them. But, we believe that Nvidia has gone too far in their restrictions on board partners and amount of control they exercise in the process.

So, the Green Light program is a program that we believe hurts AIBs and consumers while enabling Nvidia to reduce their RMA rate and improve their margins. If you are an Nvidia investor, this is great news, but if you are a consumer, this is clearly bad news. Nvidia claims that this has to do with the quality of the product and smoothness of launches, however, we believe that in the end it's all about money.
    Source
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme 3D Team
    With regards to your MSI comment below, we gave MSI the same choice I referenced above -- change their SW to disable OV above our reliability limit or not obtain a warranty. They simply chose to change their software in lieu of the warranty. Their choice. It is not ours to make, and we don’t influence them one way or the other.
    This is getting out of hand...
    Most consumers do not know what Afterburner is or overclock their GPUs, then the ones that do either seek help in forums or know what they are doing...

The response quoted is supposed to veil what is really happening? Nvidia makes it look like the AIB partners are the bad guys here...but they are pressuring partners into either giving up all warranty from Nvidia (even on inherently faulty GPUs) or give consumers an option to increase voltage on their cards, which voids the manufacturer warranty anyway.
    Reducing RMAs has never been a focus of Green Light.
    NVIDIA, WTF? Playing bully to every partner you have will never get you anywhere...
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 10-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Smile

Wanna look under my kilt?
    WTF? I mean, REALLY..... people are whining that nVidia have a warranty and rules that have to be abided by in order to keep that warranty intact.

Last time I checked, overclocking invalidated all warranties and that (overclocking) very frequently involves increasing voltages. We've dealt with those warranty conditions from day one and now we're whining that a component company is doing the same.

We have absolutely no right to complain. A company can put whatever rules it likes onto the parts it makes.

Put yourself in the shoes of any company. Would you put your time and money into making something, then having someone take it, bounce it off the walls, kick it down the street, sweeping it up into a dustpan, tipping it out at your feet and saying "give me another one"
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    WTF? I mean, REALLY..... people are whining that nVidia have a warranty and rules that have to be abided by in order to keep that warranty intact.

Last time I checked, overclocking invalidated all warranties and that (overclocking) very frequently involves increasing voltages. We've dealt with those warranty conditions from day one and now we're whining that a component company is doing the same.

We have absolutely no right to complain. A company can put whatever rules it likes onto the parts it makes.

Put yourself in the shoes of any company. Would you put your time and money into making something, then having someone take it, bounce it off the walls, kick it down the street, sweeping it up into a dustpan, tipping it out at your feet and saying "give me another one"
    Are you missing something here, or ignoring things?
    1. NVIDIA says "remove any options for the consumer to increase voltage or no warranty for you, this includes external options and also software that you make that can be installed and run"
    2. EVGA removes EVBOT from 680 classy cards, MSI gets "caught" overvolting cards over normal VID like they have been for generations, on both NVIDIA and AMD, even before boost
    3. NVIDIA then claims this has nothing to do with reducing RMAs but reaffirms the fact that they will not provide warranty for companies that allow over-voltage at user's own risk, which already voids the end user's warranty with that company

NVIDIA is assuming here that both the consumer and also board partner will be lying to them in case of an RMA while simultaneously lying about the goal of their "Green Light" program/restrictions.

This is to do nothing but
    A. Give NVIDIA more power over AIBs and innovation (looks like vendors that want NVIDIA warranty should not stick NVIDIA GPUs on robust OC-oriented PCBs anymore, stock VRM should do fine)
    B. Pretend they are making a much larger profit because RMAs will drop significantly on their side when partners do not allow consumers to over-voltage and OC, kill cards, lie, then the partner does not lie about the reason the GPU is defective?

You may say "put your shoes into any company" but I feel this is going to lessen sales more, hurting partners, and eventually ruining NVIDIA than it will make up in recovered money from less "defective" parts.
    Smile

In reply to

1/ Voltage is voltage, the method doesn't matter.

2/ Previous generations don't matter. These are the warranty conditions now.

3/ This is a -bit- of a gray area, yes. No warranty for ANY of the chips, even if (random example) 95% went into a ref design with no adjustment. I guess a blanket rule is MUCH easier than adding exceptions, but I guess this bit COULD have been handled with more finesse, yes.

Not necessarily lying, no. I think you're being a bit harsh there.

If it does give nVidia more "power over AIBs" its only in relation to their own products which comes back to my original statement about the manufacturer making whatever rules it wants about the use of its parts. Stock VRMs ARE fine, that's why nVidia design and release them. non-ref DO bring improvements, but generally small.

If RMAs drop, would that not prove that nV were right to do it? Plus, is the OC community going to firmly decide if we're a big player or a small fish? If we're a small fish, nV really don't need to care about annoying a small number of people. If we're a big fish, nV will have a nice, small RMA rate. We can all spin this any way we want.....and so can nV.

If nV want to ruin themselves, fine. Let them. You can't save someone from themselves. Look at Apple and their set of rules. We and complain about them, but they're doing fine.

Disclaimer: I am not an nV fanboy, despite my well-known fondness for benching their cards. I would say the same thing in favour of any company. Any and every company has the right to put whatever rules to its products that it likes, regarding safe operating margins. It might end up with fewer customers as a result, that's the balance they have to strike.
    Last edited by K404; 10-03-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I guess their will be no MSI GTX 780 Lightning now, I mean, what is the point of MSI designing such a great card if it can't do what it's intended for?

Sad times.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

It might change with the next gen.

nV didn't allow non-ref G80, but did allow non-ref G92, then didn't on the first GT200, then opened up the design ref on the later GT200 cards.

nV didn't allow OC on.....I can't remember what card it was, but that changed in the next product release.

Even if they don't have non-ref, designers can cut back on a lot of work, testing and PR and sell products with no effort on their part. True, they miss the PR of having the best/most appealing card for that series, but given the general availability of them, that in itself in a 2-sided bit of PR.
    Last edited by K404; 10-03-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtreme Addict
    Eh if anything it just means good aftermarker cards (DCUII, Lightnings etc) will have an even large premium.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My $.02:

I think all companies who make enthusiast parts should provide the ability to unlock all multipliers, frequencies, and voltages.

However; I also think they should do so by mechanical or software switch that allows them to know if you have, and that doing so voids your warranty, period.

That way comnpanies can sell a part and have some idea what the return rate will be based on their testing, and enthusiasts have the ability to tinker away at their own risk.

Would seem an equitable solution for all concerned. I liked AMD's "AUSUM" switch idea. Have seen way too many guys on forums, "WTF?! Product X suxorz! I'm on my fourth defective card. I put an second 60mm case fan on my case, should be more than adequate for the 33% overvolt my JangoTek 683W PSU can easily supply!" that I'd mess around with "OK you can up the clocks but not the volts, but only with stock heatsinks on every other Thursdays" companies seem to be moving to.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

I am Xtreme
    This is crappy news, while everyone is expanding OCing, nvidia is giving us no alternative than to OC ATI.

Xtreme Addict
    Makes my dual bios look all that much sweeter...

Eventually Nvidia will change though, I am sure.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    Makes my dual bios look all that much sweeter...

Eventually Nvidia will change though, I am sure.
    Only if they perceive lost business demands it.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

i have to agree on not warrantying over volting, but i cannot see why you would not cover overclocking on something like the lightning and classified that are sold as overclocking cards. i also hate when companies try to say that the warranty is void if you remove the heatsink just to have your card fail or be unstable due to a dirty heatsink/fan or thermal paste that was not up to spec affter a year and not applied properly to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    This is crappy news, while everyone is expanding OCing, nvidia is giving us no alternative than to OC ATI.
    isntt that what intel has been doing by making you only able to overclock $200+ chips. the only time it matters is when you need the word of mouth or to build a fan base, and NV has long parts contracts already in place and divided enthusiast alignments making the rest of DIY something that they do not really care about ATM.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 10-03-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its messed up. In lamens terms nvidia is saying.
    If your software tool or dual bios, lets any card go beyond set max voltages by nvidia
    All your brands cards will have no warranty from nvidia. Not only the cards you let this on.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg83 View Post
    Its messed up. In lamens terms nvidia is saying.
    If your software tool or dual bios, lets any card go beyond set max voltages by nvidia
    All your brands cards will have no warranty from nvidia. Not only the cards you let this on.
    that is what i got out of it, and it sucks.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Only if they perceive lost business demands it.
    Yeah, and when a larger percentage of Steam users are using GTX670 than 7970 and 7950 combined by a good margin I doubt that they'll be in a rush to change their minds. 660ti seems to be off to a really good start too.

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like Nvidia is just up to its usual self again.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

i reall dont get this

anyone can put this on normal words ?
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by andressergio View Post
    i reall dont get this

anyone can put this on normal words ?
    overVolting Kepler = No warranty... like it or not

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
    Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.4Ghz (Zalman CNPS9700 LED)
    Corsair Twin2X4096-6400C4DHX @ DDR2-1066
    RIP GeForce 9800 GX2 715/1720/1050
    2 x 500GB WD Caviar SE (RAID 0)
    Corsair HX-620W
    ACER P243WAID 1920 x 1200

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    isntt that what intel has been doing by making you only able to overclock $200+ chips. the only time it matters is when you need the word of mouth or to build a fan base, and NV has long parts contracts already in place and divided enthusiast alignments making the rest of DIY something that they do not really care about ATM.
    No because they also are offering you full OC protection warranty. Sure they could unlock the bottom, but for the price it isn't bad. You can get a 2500K for $150 and go, or a 3570K. At least on the top end they are unlocking and offering protection.

Also all the motherboard makers have started to really embrace overclocking.

Also even AMD is pushing OCing on their lower end even though it doesn't perform the best.

IMO overclocking has come a long way in the past decade, this is just a giant step back.

Xtreme Addict
    It boils down to Nvidia saying we will warranty the AIC's parts if they stay within our specs, if they exceed the specs its up to the AIC to warranty the parts and eat the cost.

Obviously people can overvolt and overclock Nvidia cards but Nvidia themselves will not provide warranty to AIC's for parts that "exceed" Nvidia's spec or offer a means to exceed allowable specs.

Basically for an AIC if you want to remove the rev limiter you have to accept full liability for any failures.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    It boils down to Nvidia saying we will warranty the AIC's parts if they stay within our specs, if they exceed the specs its up to the AIC to warranty the parts and eat the cost.

Obviously people can overvolt and overclock Nvidia cards but Nvidia themselves will not provide warranty to AIC's for parts that "exceed" Nvidia's spec or offer a means to exceed allowable specs.

Basically for an AIC if you want to remove the rev limiter you have to accept full liability for any failures.
    To me that seems a very fair way to approach the situation.

NVIDIA sells chips they warrant will work up to X volts, not "X volts + whatever the AIC desires". The AIC can overvolt as they see fit, but I see no reason NVIDIA should warrant spec that is not their own.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Yeah, and when a larger percentage of Steam users are using GTX670 than 7970 and 7950 combined by a good margin I doubt that they'll be in a rush to change their minds. 660ti seems to be off to a really good start too.
    I haven't looked at STEAM in a while, that is pretty impressive. I get why they tried it, but IMO AMD blew a huge opportunity launching 7970 at $500+.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    To me that seems a very fair way to approach the situation.
    I can't imagine any manufacturer who would want to accept the liability/cost of warranty from a product exceeding its engineering spec.

It doesn't matter what the product is, if you exceed the engineered limit you are pretty much on your own.

As a consumer the thing I don't like is that it limits the choice I have if I don't even care about warranty and want to fry my card for the hell of it, if I wanted to.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

If you had a new motor installed by a profesisonal service in a car and the engine blew because you over-revved it, would you take it back to the dealership (manufacturer) and demand a new motor? Would you go back to the installer and demand a new motor?

People seem to be getting angry at the fact nVidia doesn't cover ALL the variants the AIC's create using the nVidia default spec, but have a single agreement in place that covers all the AIC cards produced. It's not nVidia demanding people to make 'superwtfoverclockedlightning' cards. AIC's do this. If they stood behind their product they'd go with their own warranty system, right?

I own two GTX 680 Lightnings, I was willing to pay a premium for that extra headroom so I could crank up my graphics, yet I still believe that it's my own fault if they crap out before I choose to replace them. I fully support nVidia on this choice.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast