Thread: Thermaltake eSports Theron Gaming Mouse Expose`

I am Xtreme

Thermaltake eSports Theron Gaming Mouse Expose`

About a week ago I arrive to my apartment to find a gaming mouse at my door step. So today I decided to write this expose on this mouse. Theron, the Greek word for hunter, is a fitting name for Thermaltake’s top of the line gaming mouse. Being part of the Tt eSports line means that the Theron has many unique features and design qualities. For starters Tt used a lot of feedback from top gamers to develop their eSports line of products. Just like a motherboard company might hire an overclocker, Thermaltake hires gamers for the same type of feedback and design input. I have never reviewed a mouse before, but I am a gamer, so let’s venture into the realm of the Theron to see what it has to offer.

Some specifications:
    • T.P.G. (Tt Pro Grade) Gaming Laser Sensor 5600 DPI Engine.
    • 100 - 5600 DPI Adjustable: Fully Functional on Most Surfaces.
    • 1.8 meters Braided USB Cable with Gold-Plated Connector.
    • Superb Customizable Graphical UI for Macro Keys, Advanced Performance, and Lighting-Effect Options.
    • 7 Colors of Pause-Break Lighting Effect on the Dragon logo
    • Side-light color changes by clicking frequency during Battle mode
    • Industrial Grade Rubber-Coating Finish for better Hand Grip.
    • Polling rate switch button (125/500/1000 Hz cycle), and Function-Lock Button provided to disable side button functions.
    • On-Board 128kb Memory Storage for 40 Macro Keys within 5 Game Profiles.
    • Weight-In Design for Perfect Handling Mouse Movement
    • 5 x 4.5g, up to 22.5g max
    • Body Dimension (LxWxH): 123.65 X 73.8 X 40.2 (mm)

Thermaltake supplies a bag for the mouse as well. When I reviewed their G-Unit keyboard they also supplied a case, which means that they understand gamers go to LAN parties and need to keep their hardware safe.

The mouse really has some nice curves to it, just like Charlize Theron(sorry for the pun ).

The package also has some cool stickers and some reading materials and CDROM.

There are buttons on both sides, this one can be used to launch Macros.

Here you can program these buttons, but for now they are forward and backwards.

You see a lot of cuts around the underside of the mouse; these are parts that are illuminated to colors you like. Also the Tt eSports logo also illuminates.

The scroll has a bunch of C’s molded into it, and it also illuminates. The cable is braided for strength and there is a gold plated USB connector on the other end.

There are a bunch of underside goodies, such as a polling rate button and profile button. Then you have a lock/unlock buttons which can disable the side function buttons.

What is in the mouse is a bunch of weights and a weight holder to increase or decrease the weight count. However this latch isn’t very strong and if you drop the mouse form a small distance, then the cover might come off, but the weights don’t come out.

In action the lights are pretty cool:

The Software Suite:

The software is pretty thorough, you can control polling rate down to the function of the keys.

You can also change it to battle mode, and then the lights will change with the clicking frequency.

The performance characteristics you can control are really awesome, DPI is controllable is fine steps if you click on the bars, and then everything from scroll speed to double click speed can be controlled.

Marco Keys.

Here you can pick exactly what color you want. You can also pick no color/illumination.

Impressions:
    I thought the packaging was really thorough and complete, anything you think a mouse should come with, the package included. The texture of the mouse was very nice, some thin rubberized shell with seamless curves. The click was pressure sensitive, but not too hard to press down and not overly sensitive. I was able to use the mouse without a mousepad, and the pads on the underside provided little friction on my desk. Since I don’t use a mouse pad and the laser was able to easily pick up movements and pose no issue on my desk’s surface. I really like the lights, the underside illumination is cool, but I don’t see a function to it, other than telling profiles apart. With all the weights in the mouse, the mouse isn’t very heavy. I think heavier weights might be something to think about in the future. One other issue I found was that the DPI buttons for up and down are a bit too separate, and it is hard to hit the DPI down button when one is using the mouse. I really like the idea of locking or unlocking the side function buttons with a physical button as well as the underside buttons on the mouse. The price is also very reasonable for a high quality mouse, one which allows you to change the polling rate on the fly with programmable profiles and buttons. The installation was very simple, you can just plug and play, and I didn’t have issues in UEFI either. To get ahold of the programming features of the Theron you need to install the package, and it doesn’t seem to do any bad, if you press a button like for DPI, then the DPI will show up on the screen in a little blimp. The mouse takes a bit getting used to because of its unique curves, but one thing I really like about it is that I have no issue using it for tasks other than gaming, which can’t be said about a lot of gaming keyboards. It is one great package for the price, the mouse is just very nice and it feels very high quality. I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a decently priced gaming mouse.

Xtreme Supporter
    Hi and thanks for another clear review as usual. Unless I missed it though there was no price given even a recommended one. Apart from that, great!
    Official Gigabyte UK Forum Moderator

Administrator
    Nice job Sin.

I need a new mouse and this one looks good

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mantis View Post
    Hi and thanks for another clear review as usual. Unless I missed it though there was no price given even a recommended one. Apart from that, great!
    Thanks man, yea i didn't list a price. it is $60 most places i look, new like newegg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Nice job Sin.

I need a new mouse and this one looks good
    Thanks

Looks good with some cool features retailos 70-80 here in AUS
    Member of the Austraila OC Hwbot Team