Thread: Intel Supermicro Server

Xtreme Enthusiast

Intel Supermicro Server

So a store owner shows me his new Supermicro server he plans to use in his small drafting business. I ask him "What OS?" uhh, don't know... "How much ram?" uhh, What's ram? "How much did you pay?" uhm, about $3000usd.
    I look inside and it has a Dual processor MB with 16 ram slots BUT, there is only 1 CPU and 2 sticks of ram! He does think it has mirrored raid (doesn't know what that means) and has dual PS but unknown to him what wattage. It is in a long mid tower case, 1 optic drive and the rest of the front is hot swap HD bays. Just says Supermicro and Inel Xeon on the front.
    Any clue what this thing is or where to look for a model#? The model# on his receit does not cross reference anything....
    Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh yeah, it is a new Server
    Last edited by PaganII; 09-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.

If there aren't any labels on the rear of the case with the Chassis part #, the motherboard ought to be silk-screened with it's model #. With that, you should be able to cross-reference with Supermicro's list of complete systems to see which contain that particular Mobo.
    Anarcho-Hippie Hackasaurus Rex!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks, ya I didn't have much access to it. Just seems like a waste of $3000usd for a 2 employee drafting shop. They don't need dual PS or Hot Swap much less a Dual CPU MB (with only 1 cpu) and 2 sticks of ram. Seems like a waste of about $2000. Could have used any ole Quad core and a lot more ram.

i would guess that they got this http://www.supermicro.com/products/s...ys-7047a-t.cfm and they did get ripped off for about $1500 most likely if did not come with software. if it came with cad stufff they may not have been ripped off.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 09-27-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks zanzabar, ya that looks like it but that 1 has 2 CPUs and a single PS. The one he was told to buy is only a server not a workstation. His buddy from high school said that is what they use for the School District of which he is the Admin (chuckle chuckle). A 2 man operation hardly needs what a school district uses! They just wanted to view each others work since 1 works from home and the other from the shop. A simple 2 way remote desktop with the computers they had should do for that? I don't know how he plans to set it up since he doesn't know what ram slots are...

# AS-SVRIMF1209
    Last edited by PaganII; 09-27-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: model#

Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    Thanks zanzabar, ya that looks like it but that 1 has 2 CPUs and a single PS. The one he was told to buy is only a server not a workstation. His buddy from high school said that is what they use for the School District of which he is the Admin (chuckle chuckle). A 2 man operation hardly needs what a school district uses! They just wanted to view each others work since 1 works from home and the other from the shop. A simple 2 way remote desktop with the computers they had should do for that? I don't know how he plans to set it up since he doesn't know what ram slots are...

# AS-SVRIMF1209
    i thought i linked the dual psu one. the server and workstations are the same from super micro the only difference is if it has a rack case or a tower. they also come bare bones (no ram, no psu, no graphics,) that way the vendor configures it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi