Thread: Fan control with GA-EP45-UD3L v1.0

Xtreme Member

Fan control with GA-EP45-UD3L v1.0

I have a GA-EP45-UD3L (rev. 1.0) motherboard and am trying to get my fans to automatically adjust based on need. I have some simple fan controllers that don't seem to be working as advertised and I want to make sure it isn't my fault.

Case:
    Lian-Li A05NB
    Here are my fans:
    3x 140mm Yate Loon Low Speed (1000 rpm)
    3x Gentle Typhoon 1450 rpm

Fan control/etc:
    2x Phobya Y-Cable 3Pin Molex to 6x 3Pin Molex 60cm
    Sunbeamtech Rheosmart PCI Fan Controller
    2 4-pin fan headers on motherboard (CPU and SYS_FAN2)
    2 3-pin fan headers on motherboard (POWER and SYS_FAN1)
    CPU voltage or PWM BIOS settings.

Now I have the three Yates on the top case panel blowing downward on to my GPU stock fan. One GT is blowing in towards a Tuniq CPU heatsink that has another GT in the middle. The third GT is on exhaust he front panel and HDD cage. I like the positive pressure and everything is cool, but I'd like some automation for sleepy time. I have the Phobya splitter on the 3 yate loons plugged into either the SYS_FAN1 since they're fairly quiet at full power.

I assume the 4-pin SYS_FAN2 header is PWM, but I can't get it to do anything. When I had the GTs connected (minus CPU) they both just went a steady 740ish rpms. I haven't noticed any PWM controll, but the two GTs are usually around 1275rpm when the rheostant is on PWM.

Right now I have the CPU GT plugged into the POWER header so it's at full rpm. The case intake and exhaust GTs are on the sunbeamtech rheostat controller plugged into the CPU header with BIOS controll enabled via PWM option. The two GTs are controllable from 800-1380 rpm.

The sunbeamtech rheosmart controller is quirky. I swear the electronics are backwards or something because the selector switch enables the manual voltage knob when pointed toward PWM and no control when pointed toward voltage.

So....Is there anyway I can have all my fans contolled via PWM? I do have 3 free 3-pin plugs on the Phobya splitter. I also have an additional Phobya splitter and a Akasa SMART PWM 5-Fan adapter - it does have a molex connector, so maybe that might be better than the phobya splitters?

It's probably my stock GPU fan that's creating all the noise, but I'd like the control figured out regardless.

Thanks for the help!

DSC06005 - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by liguhy; 09-26-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: figuring out the new attachment system

Xtreme Enthusiast

BIOS for the Quiet Fan Options

Just check in the BIOS settings that you have an option for Quiet Fan and you can set the Level of the fan there for less noise. You can set Target CPU Temp and Fan Speed to reduce the noise.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    Just check in the BIOS settings that you have an option for Quiet Fan and you can set the Level of the fan there for less noise. You can set Target CPU Temp and Fan Speed to reduce the noise.
    There isn't any Quiet Fan option in BIOS. I have the latest version according to Gigabyte's product page and forums I've searched online. All I have is fail alarm options for my four fan headers and two additional options for the CPU. I can enable, disable, or auto CPU BIOS control. Auto let's BIOS read the fan and set it (which won't work for my non-PWM fans). Enable gives a second option to regulate according to CPU temperature via voltage or PWM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by liguhy View Post
    There isn't any Quiet Fan option in BIOS. I have the latest version according to Gigabyte's product page and forums I've searched online. All I have is fail alarm options for my four fan headers and two additional options for the CPU. I can enable, disable, or auto CPU BIOS control. Auto let's BIOS read the fan and set it (which won't work for my non-PWM fans). Enable gives a second option to regulate according to CPU temperature via voltage or PWM.
    you need gigabyes Easytune for fan control.
    you can then set a slope on graph for the speed you want from what the software reads in bios
    enable the cpu fan and set for [Voltage] if using a three pin fan.
    [PWM] is for the 4 pin pwm Fans
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    you need gigabyes Easytune for fan control.
    you can then set a slope on graph for the speed you want from what the software reads in bios
    enable the cpu fan and set for [Voltage] if using a three pin fan.
    [PWM] is for the 4 pin pwm Fans
    Thanks for the help!

I've downloaded and messed around with EasyTune. As far as I know there's only one useful tab, titled "smart" that allows you to change the fan's response to a temperature reading on the CPU. The 4-pin CPU header has correctly worked for any fan or fan splitter I have plugged into it regardless if I use EasyTune or not. What I don't understand, and EasyTune doesn't seem to help out on, is my 4-pin SYS_FAN2 header. I assume it's PWM and if I could get it to work, I'd have my GT case fans automatically adjust with it and my CPU fan adjust via the CPU header. The 3 Yate intake fans are quiet enough I'd just run at full blast, unless the header could handle those 3 and the two GTs. It says on the label it can handle 30 watts each channel and I have a both a 3-pin splitter and 4-pin splitter I could use in serial. Ideally, I'd use the sunbeamtech rheostat to allow either PWM or voltage controll to the whatever SYS_FAN2 header powers.