Thread: Transplant - Laptop parts into Mini-ITX?

Xtreme Cruncher

Transplant - Laptop parts into Mini-ITX?

Been ages since I was last here, but a slightly unusual situation has appeared and I could do with some opinions, though this was the right place to come

So I've got an old CAD laptop, a Dell Precision M4600, which I mostly use for Adobe Apps and a bit of gaming. It's got a Core i7 and I guess this is one of the socket 988 processors? Will check spec later, I've also got 2x 4Gb DDR3 Sodimms in there at the moment and it ticks along OK. The GPU is an ATi FirePro M5950 card.

Thing is, I'd like to squeak a bit more performance out of it for Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2; I hover around high 20s to low 30s fps on Battlefield at the moment, that's 1920x with low/medium settings. The upgrade a few weeks ago from 4Gb to 8Gb made little impact on fps. So this got me thinking, maybe transferring the processor/RAM/HDD out of the laptop and into a mini-itx might be the way to go, and stick a half-decent GPU in there? Seems hard to locate, but I found this Jetway board and CM case linked below - sensible to go this route?

I do also have a derelict Q6600 desktop with 4Gb RAM in a tower, with a decent PSU & half decent NVidia gpu etc, so I can harvest parts from this to try and make the best of both. Is this worth bothering with, or simply easier to get a new motherboard bundle and refit the desktop? It's only that nice i7 CPU that make me think about cannibalising the Laptop but I'm not sure if the performance is worth it basically!

Board:
    http://www.logicsupply.co.uk/mainboa...ore/nf98-qm57/

ITX Case:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coole...4x25-hdd-usb-3

Cheers!

Xtreme Member
    which i7 cpu, that is important to know. as the 2nd/3rd gen i's will only work on socket G2 boards, that board is socket G. that also happens to be the same board im using right now with a i3 330m, pico 120WD, GT 430. the case is a solid choice IMO.

other things to know is, is the q6600 stock or oc'd? this will matter for gaming since some games respond more to higher cpu speed. even though i's are more efficient per clock core 2 is still a solid cpu if the clocks are right.
    Intel Pentium G3258 | ASRock Z97M OC Formula | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3-1600 | Galaxy GTX660 GC | Samsung PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 250GB FDE |

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Comensing Shock Therapy!"

HeatWare