Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SuperSSpeed SLC VS. Anything else

Xtreme Member
    SandForce/MLC on sata II port

and interestingly enough SandForce/MLC SATA III port is slower:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ourasi View Post
    Just manual timing from my shootingtimer, starts when i click the mouse on the .bat file and stops when i click the mouse when all apps are loaded. A little margin of error is there, since my reaction is slower then my shooting timer (that is within 5ms from i start the .bat) when clicking at the end. But on the other hand, starting 30 apps takes a bit of time, so a few hundreds is of little consequence when the difference is several seconds..

Good bootime BTW, you will notice that the full aero and GFX/sound drivers will slow the bootime, I have a 3.xxx time, but not fully operational and eyecandy OS was one of my rules in my SSD-bench thread, so I stick to my own rules... The thread btw is now at 200k views and 247 pages, so we norwegians do like our SSD's
    Norsemen are legendary for their computer genius for sure.

Xtreme Member
    I edited in my last post how to make a .bat file and some commands you can try if you have the apps in the commands installed, plug and play, and the only way to start apps on SSD's

There are some tricks to make bootime more stable, disable readyboot will make it more stable but is abit tricky, and will on average be a little slower. But it will fluctuate some with readyboot on.
    Last edited by Ourasi; 09-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    | Ci7 2600k@4.6ghz | Asus SaberTooth P67 | Sapphire HD7970 | Samsung B555 32" | Samsung 840 PRO 128gb + 2xIntel SSD 520 120GB Raid0 + 2xC300 64GB Raid0 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 | Vantage GPU=40250 |

Xtreme Member
    I dont have messenger or live on my computer. You should write up a little app kind of like ANVIL that would run a real world test. It would be another awesome piece of software from Norway.

Xtreme Member
    I can try to get Anvil to put an read only applaunch bench on his app, he is one of my threads most frequent quests and contributors after all Spesifically Seqential read - Random Read QD#1 - Random Read QD#2 - Random Read QD#3 - Random Read QD#4 - Random Read QD#5 - Random Read QD#6 - With a fixed realistic compression level of an average app. And give a total score in this alone. That would be the closest a sythetic bench would be to giving a realworld applauch score.

If you post what apps you would like to have in your .bat, I can give you the commands, just write their adress and the name of the .exe, then you can test as many apps as you'd like..
    | Ci7 2600k@4.6ghz | Asus SaberTooth P67 | Sapphire HD7970 | Samsung B555 32" | Samsung 840 PRO 128gb + 2xIntel SSD 520 120GB Raid0 + 2xC300 64GB Raid0 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 | Vantage GPU=40250 |

Xtreme Member
    That would be neat If he would do it. Everyone tests with drives empty and as secondary drives so would this work in that scenario to test a secondary drive?

Xtreme Member
    Can you give a link to the thread you are referring too?

Xtreme Member
    Yes, you can freely choose what drive you will from the dropdown menu, empty or filled, your choice. I'll give him a nudge or two to see what he thinks, a beta with this added might not be to much work as he have some already...

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1149834

Xtreme Member
    look what happens when I RAID 0 them on SATA II ports and install os on array. This is the random test.

Xtreme Member
    Just to make a quick point. If the drives were crap then Jon would say they are crap. Jon bought his drives on his own at retail. Also, if they were crap I wouldn't of put the package together. After I reviewed the S301 SLC (regular version) my email was flooded from people asking where to buy them. At the time they were limited to Hong Kong so I thought about how to bring them to the US. At the same time I wanted to kick around the idea of playing a product manager for a couple of weeks so that is what I did. I learned quite a bit. There are only 50 drives so in the grand scheme of things there aren't enough to make me a competitor to anyone. It was my way of having a little fun and one of these days I can show my grand kids something cool.

When all is said and done I'll make less than a grand on the 50 drives so this wasn't done for money either. If you really care to know the money is just getting put back into equipment for testing other products. What I have in the works with power testing and real world NAS testing will cost around 10K so it's not even like the Sig Edition SSD project is taking a big chunk out of those projects.

This is just a really cool drive that was put together for enthusiasts and friends.

It is fast as hell though. Too bad Samsung had to come along with a product that appears to be just as fast right now. We'll see what happens when the Sammy is ran at 50% full.

Xtreme Addict
    When the Samsung is 50% full, this drive would be 100% full at similar price points.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highendtoys View Post
    Just to make a quick point. If the drives were crap then Jon would say they are crap. Jon bought his drives on his own at retail. Also, if they were crap I wouldn't of put the package together. After I reviewed the S301 SLC (regular version) my email was flooded from people asking where to buy them. At the time they were limited to Hong Kong so I thought about how to bring them to the US. At the same time I wanted to kick around the idea of playing a product manager for a couple of weeks so that is what I did. I learned quite a bit. There are only 50 drives so in the grand scheme of things there aren't enough to make me a competitor to anyone. It was my way of having a little fun and one of these days I can show my grand kids something cool.

When all is said and done I'll make less than a grand on the 50 drives so this wasn't done for money either. If you really care to know the money is just getting put back into equipment for testing other products. What I have in the works with power testing and real world NAS testing will cost around 10K so it's not even like the Sig Edition SSD project is taking a big chunk out of those projects.

This is just a really cool drive that was put together for enthusiasts and friends.

It is fast as hell though. Too bad Samsung had to come along with a product that appears to be just as fast right now. We'll see what happens when the Sammy is ran at 50% full.

I have full trust in Jon and his methods of testing, was never an issue. If he says they are truly awesome drives that is good enough for me. My point was simply the price. With all the recent price drops going on, on very good drives I might add, it seems very hard for me personally to see why I would pay more than twice as much for one of these as opposed to a much cheaper(price) drive. I get that it is supposed to last so much longer but I swap out components like yesterdays news, as do a lot of you guys. Keep up the good work Bill, like reading your reviews bud.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by A||uSiOn View Post
    I would think the new Samsung 840 100K IOPS will give them a big run for the money
    It would be nice to see a head to head compare between the s301 and these new samsung 840's

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    It would be nice to see a head to head compare between the s301 and these new samsung 840's
    I will do that when I get some 840's

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogerlad View Post
    When the Samsung is 50% full, this drive would be 100% full at similar price points.
    Mine's blue...blue trumps all, 'nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by B Gates View Post
    I will do that when I get some 840's
    wooo hooooo

SLC = business grade / enterprise no doubt when this become available in quantity we plan to test this in a 24 x 128GB array for some high end VMware customers who run high concurrent user volumes with HA etc etc

Nothing comes even close to these drives, what people miss here is that this SSD basically s the enterprise market up These drives are all 1/10th the cost of literally any other SLC high performance drives so unless ANY retail consumer brand drives come out with SLC i doubt there will be ANY comparison

The only thing I was talking about is the "home grade" customers who look for performance & storage where writing 10,000PE's means nothing

Xtreme Member
    Chris...any idea how much longer until the SSs hit retail?
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wooo hooooo

SLC = business grade / enterprise no doubt when this become available in quantity we plan to test this in a 24 x 128GB array for some high end VMware customers who run high concurrent user volumes with HA etc etc

Nothing comes even close to these drives, what people miss here is that this SSD basically s the enterprise market up These drives are all 1/10th the cost of literally any other SLC high performance drives so unless ANY retail consumer brand drives come out with SLC i doubt there will be ANY comparison

The only thing I was talking about is the "home grade" customers who look for performance & storage where writing 10,000PE's means nothing
    Yes, with non-existent support these drives will be a hit in the enterprise market. Just do me a favor, send your disappointed customers to me when half their array fails or they have compatibility issues with no support team to resolve it

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    Yes, with non-existent support these drives will be a hit in the enterprise market. Just do me a favor, send your disappointed customers to me when half their array fails or they have compatibility issues with no support team to resolve it
    There will still be plenty of buyers who are still prepared to look after themselves and do their own validation (basicly suck it and see). Especially with those kinds of cost savings at stake.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Then there's also the issue of limited availability. What are any customers running these in any critical environment going to replace them with?

Xtreme Member
    The only thing limited is the blue case and sticker. The regular SuperSSpeed SLC drive goes on sale in the US soon, like next week. The inner PCB is the same.

I am Xtreme
    deleted ...

Its almost good as intel's 64GB X25-E support when we asked why did 8 of the 150 we rolled out failed within the first year there answer was send it back to us and we will investigate. Summerised Answer: " These drives were found to have defected parts a replacement drive will be sent out to you"

1. Always have a few hand full of drives spare.
    2. Always have different batches in place if possible.
    3. Always have rotations in any array of disks when servicing any slave storage node

Please tell me how having a support team for failed drives plays any part of actually maintaining and sustaining any array in house? Any sysadmin won't place the odd's in the hands of the "Enterprise" Support? Let me guess I take it you also know the fact that the Australian market literally has the worse "enterprise" support market when it comes to any SSD based arrays?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its almost good as intel's 64GB X25-E support when we asked why did 8 of the 150 we rolled out failed within the first year there answer was send it back to us and we will investigate. Summerised Answer: " These drives were found to have defected parts a replacement drive will be sent out to you"

1. Always have a few hand full of drives spare.
    2. Always have different batches in place if possible.
    3. Always have rotations in any array of disks when servicing any slave storage node

Please tell me how having a support team for failed drives plays any part of actually maintaining and sustaining any array in house? Any sysadmin won't place the odd's in the hands of the "Enterprise" Support? Let me guess I take it you also know the fact that the Australian market literally has the worse "enterprise" support market when it comes to any SSD based arrays?
    Huh, I had no idea. I wonder if these drives are tested to work upside down?

You make good points, I am just used to a model where manufacturers work closely with customers to resolve any issues they may be having.

Huh, I had no idea. I wonder if these drives are tested to work upside down?

You make good points, I am just used to a model where manufacturers work closely with customers to resolve any issues they may be having.
    Out of curiosity what manufacturers do you work with that help you resolve dead drive issues and recover your data or give you an explanation why a drive died?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast