Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SuperSSpeed SLC VS. Anything else

Xtreme Member

SuperSSpeed SLC VS. Anything else

I got way off track in the TRIM thread and apologize for that so I 'm making a different thread. This is a thread to explore The new SuperSSpeed SandForce SLC 128GB $275 drives. Some think Vertex 4 or others may be faster so we can explore that here. I am of the opinion they are the fastest consumer SSD ever made.

check this out:

this is a SANDFORCE drive with INCOMPRESSIBLE data. This is the worlds fastest SATA III drive its 128GB SLC costs $275 its this drive: http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/myd...sandforce-ssd/

this was run on 11.6 driver

AS-SSD:
    Last edited by B Gates; 09-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.oreilly View Post
    a bit below a Vertex 4...and the write latency...
    read latency is faster than the V4 and it has nearly twice the performance of the V4 in real world testing. The Vertex 4 isn't even in the same league. When in RAID 0 these drives really put the V4 in RAID 0 to shame. here are the access times in raid 0:

full reviews coming very soon

Xtreme Member
    i don't know which real world you speak of, but for half the storage (and a sandforce controlled drive to boot..arg), and at a $100 premium over a 256gb V4, plus questionable support (never heard of this 'brand'), it must be performing unmentionable acts for you, to praise it in such a manner...sorry, off topic...
    here this will explain it better:

Workstation is the same as a typical user environment. Notice TWICE the performance of a V4

Drives filled 50% with data. Notice Vertex 4 scores 39,000 and the SuperSSpeed scores 69,000 one is a Ferrari the other a Buick

Xtreme Member
    after seeing vantage tests give compressible results for supposed incompressible situations...i guess i don't value it as 'real world', though it's nice to see slc at such low prices. would be nice to see it in other ssds controlled by something other than sandforce, and as for the 'parent' company being in the US, that's great, but after going through many US based forums of other companies, i guess i would want to know a bit more re their support, especially with something 'new' like this coupling of slc on the sandforce targeted for consumer use in the US (i'll have to check them out), but we are way off topic at this point...
    What do you value as real world? Vantage is as real world as it gets and so is PassMark.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jax7480 View Post
    What kind of stripe size did you use for the V4's?
    64K for all but those were SuperSSpeed drives not V4's. V4's access times in RAID 0 look like this:

you can see that the V4's in RAID 0 have a read latency thats 4 times slower than the SuperSSpeeds in RAID 0 and a write latency thats 2 times slower than the SuperSpeeds

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    I am new to SSD drives and was slow to adopt because I wanted to wait a few years until the technology matured. How are these drives in terms of reliability and stability compared to the Intel 520 Series?
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    I am new to SSD drives and was slow to adopt because I wanted to wait a few years until the technology matured. How are these drives in terms of reliability and stability compared to the Intel 520 Series?
    There will be a full review up at http://www.rwlabs.com/ this weekend. The reliability on paper is better than the 520 because the S301 has 100,000 P/E cycle SLC NAND and the 520 has 5000 P/E cycle MLC NAND. Only time will tell how reliable something new is otherwise.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Time tells all that's for sure. I have read that the nand on the super speed are pretty much enterprise level grade nand bu my question is how stable is the firmware of super speed?
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Member
    The SuperSSpeed uses 5.03 firmware. This is new firmware has great performance so far and it has restored TRIM for drives on 5 series firmware http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?id=692 but again this is new firmware so time will have to tell.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Is that your website Bill?
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    Is that your website Bill?
    I review SSD's for that site.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Thank you.
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Xtreme Member
    looks very nice - and i can see you get what you pay for

looking at your graphs, you mention the V4 but it does not look like its the drive that give the SuperSSpeed to most competition - or did i miss something, like the Intel 520 seems to fare better then the V4

Henrik

Xtreme Member
    The 520 is was the previous champ. I was talking about the V4 because another guy was comparing the V4 to the SuperSSpeed Drive. You are correct the 520 is the closest competition.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    A little off topic here but kinda the same. B. Gates what is your take on the latest Intel RST Drivers 11.6.0.1030 just using them for the AHCI Driver instead of the default MSAHCI Drivers are they stable or is there a problem with them as I have seen that some have posted issues to the effect that Intel forgot to add something for the system info or something to that effect.
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Xtreme Member
    I've tested 4 or 5 different drives with 11.6 and the performance is great:

I would definitely recommend you use 11.6 over MSAHCI. Memory leak is fixed too.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gates View Post
    I've tested 4 or 5 different drives with 11.6 and the performance is great:

I would definitely recommend you use 11.6 over MSAHCI. Memory leak is fixed too.
    Seeing how I am new to this SSD thing. The Program that you have above what is that for just raid or caching? Does it serve any purpose for a single SSD Drive installed on a system?
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Xtreme Member
    Yes you can create raid volumes with it as long as you have set RAID in bios. You can use it for caching too. The program is just the GUI that comes built into the driver when installed in windows.

Xtreme Member
    Hard for me to see past the price quite frankly. Any of the drives I have now will most likely outlast my lifetime, so saying this will will last twice as long doesn't really do much for me. Does better in benching sure,( some bench's, not all ) but not going to be noticeable in an OS environment imho. My plextors are plenty fast enough for me.

I was asking for stripe size for V4's because after a lot of testing with 2 of these drives in Raid0 (2, 128GB) the best stripe size (surprisingly enough) was found to be 4K.
    Would be more that happy to test those SuperSSpeed SLC, but unfortunatelly, I do not leave is the US.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jax7480 View Post
    I was asking for stripe size for V4's because after a lot of testing with 2 of these drives in Raid0 (2, 128GB) the best stripe size (surprisingly enough) was found to be 4K.
    Would be more that happy to test those SuperSSpeed SLC, but unfortunatelly, I do not leave is the US.
    4k is fastest for Vantage

Not only.
    I have made tests in IOMeter, Anvils SU, AS SSD and Vantage. Vantage had the biggest differences, but all others benches were fast or faster (with 4K) as well.
    OS was installed in the drives at all times.
    This is only in V4's. All other drives hate 4K stripe.

RAIDer
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gates View Post
    I got way off track in the TRIM thread and apologize for that so I 'm making a different thread. This is a thread to explore The new SuperSSpeed SandForce SLC 128GB $275 drives. Some think Vertex 4 or others may be faster so we can explore that here. I am of the opinion they are the fastest consumer SSD ever made.

check this out:

this is a SANDFORCE drive with INCOMPRESSIBLE data. This is the worlds fastest SATA III drive its 128GB SLC costs $275 its this drive: http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/myd...sandforce-ssd/

this was run on 11.6 driver

AS-SSD:
    For comparing:
    one Plextor m3p 128gb @ LSI 9207 no cache.

VS. Anything else:

8xr0
    Yes I want 8x SuperSSpeed SLC

Well this is Xtreme storage, so here is 12xR0 software raid...
    Last edited by Nizzen; 02-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Xtreme Member
    WOW! Thats pretty awesome Nizzen

I would think the new Samsung 840 100K IOPS will give them a big run for the money

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast