Thread: Question about mounting backplate to non watercooled card.

Question about mounting backplate to non watercooled card.

Hi I'am hoping some one could help me with a small problem i have come across. I have a toxic 6950 + the EK 6970 V2 backplate for it. However I'am trying to mount it with out the water block and that has created some problems. All the screws line up correctly as you can see in the picture i linked. However the X bracket on the GPU(circled in green on the picture)would be removed if i had the waterblock.

So im left with a few options:

1 - Remove the X bracket and mount the backplate.
    2 - mount the backplate over the X bracket. this means the backplate makes contact with the bracket and also the whole backplate is a bit too high up.
    3 - (Would rather avoid this) Drill 4 holes in the backplate where the bracket is and just put the screws there and remove the X bracket.

So I'am looking to know if it will be a problem to remove the X bracket or maybe just mount the backplate over it? Has anyone had this problem in the past? The backplate is purely for cosmetic purposes i don't really care about what ever temp diff it will bring with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6950 toxic.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	130034

Xtreme Addict
    I'd remove the x bracket, and use new "big headed" screws (or possible a washer with the original screws) around the GPU to utilize the backplate for stability instead of the X bracket.

But tbh, the X bracket is pretty weak anyway, and doesn't help much if you want higher pressure than default.

edit: as always, take care when mounting, and make sure no components are shorting.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    can't really tell but i think you have to remove the x bar for the plate to fit right