Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The "What power supply can be used for my TEC" thread

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have a TEC over here rated also 15,4V 26A. It's the CP1-12726 from Thermal Enterprises. Mine has a Qmax of 243W, but maybe u got the same?
    Last week I took an old 350W supply wich had 16A on 12V rail, and the TEC worked. With my water @ 10°C my pelt gave -18°C unloaded. Loaded this gives a big difference offcourse.
    I still wonder why your Aerocool only has 25A @ 12V, my Antec 480W has even 26A @ 12V. Maybe I try again this weekend with the Antec 480W supply.
    But if I were you, I would give it a shot, if the supply is only for the pelt, and not the intire pc. U can power-on the supply by connecting the green with a black wire on the ATX power connector.
    Remember, to be more Xtreme u can always make your own supply squizing every little bit out of the pelt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The power supply was cheap at the time and it works for what I'm using it for. I'll probably need to upgrade my main system power supply eventually, so I thought I might be able to use my old Aerocool to power a pelt.

I'm going to hold off making my own supply until I see if the Aerocool will work or not.

Thanks, Wittekakker!
    7700k @ 5.0GHz
    ASUS Z170-Deluxe
    2x8GB Avexir Raiden DDR4-3000 15-15-15-35
    Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti @ 2076/1500(6000)
    512GB Samsung PM961 + 840 Pro 256GB + some TBs
    Corsair AX1200i
    X-Star DP2710LED @ 110Hz + 40" Samsung TV

CPU and GPU under water: 9x120 rad + 3x120 + 3x120

...and an HTC Vive!

Have the OCZ 520w, want to get two 226 peltd for my Xeons. The power supply runs at 33a at 12v rail, which would not be enough to get aleast 80% of the pelts with everything else or would it... If not, what size switching supply should be used or additional psu

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lakee1
    Have the OCZ 520w, want to get two 226 peltd for my Xeons. The power supply runs at 33a at 12v rail, which would not be enough to get aleast 80% of the pelts with everything else or would it... If not, what size switching supply should be used or additional psu
    You could try getting something like this for those pelts:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-507&depa=0
    Its very cheap and has a strong 12V rail which is what you need, but you would need one for each.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Member
    You need about 20A for a 226W at 12V, I'd spec 25A (continuous!) to be safe. You're probably looking at dual supplies for that, though you may be able to find a 50A model.
    I wouldn't recommend an ATX PSU for large TECs.
    CPU Temps: Forget MBM, if it don't crash it ain't too hot.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wittekakker
    I have a TEC over here rated also 15,4V 26A. It's the CP1-12726 from Thermal Enterprises. Mine has a Qmax of 243W, but maybe u got the same?
    Last week I took an old 350W supply wich had 16A on 12V rail, and the TEC worked. With my water @ 10°C my pelt gave -18°C unloaded. Loaded this gives a big difference offcourse.
    I still wonder why your Aerocool only has 25A @ 12V, my Antec 480W has even 26A @ 12V. Maybe I try again this weekend with the Antec 480W supply.
    But if I were you, I would give it a shot, if the supply is only for the pelt, and not the intire pc. U can power-on the supply by connecting the green with a black wire on the ATX power connector.
    Remember, to be more Xtreme u can always make your own supply squizing every little bit out of the pelt
    You're likely to nuke that PSU pretty quick running such a large load on it. Fine for testing, but not a good solution for long term use.

So would it be safe to say that the cooler you keep the hot-side the more cooler ooorrr more efficient the cooled-side of the TEC. I understand about the watts but I hear so much about coolin the hot side, does that have anything to do with how the cooled-side proforms.
    Some what new to the TEC design, boutght a 226w with 320 switcher in the mail but lery about adding to sys. until i understand more.

Xtreme Member
    Yes the hot side temp matters. Generally cooling the hot side will cool the cold side by a similar amount. However TECs become less efficient as they get colder which can reduce the gains.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wires weren't gettin hot with that 16A supply.
    As I said, i tried out the 28A supply. With my water @ -7°C, I got a cold side temp of -43°C. Thats a delta t of 36°C, and wires heating a little bit. Without any heat load!

Stil have a question. If u cool one part of the hot side surface worse then other parts of the hot side, will that infect the working of the TEC?
    Example: the hottest spot is 50°C and other spots are 30°C on hot side, will that make the same cold side everywhere? And if delta T was 50°C, will the cold side then be 0°C or -20°C?
    Last edited by wittekakker; 04-26-2005 at 11:05 PM.

Sorry to interupt....agian.... ?.

For two 24v 437w TEC at 32amps..can it be powered by a 12v 800w at 36amps.

Kinda muck up with this...please explian

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, since u will be using only 12V, the current the TEC's need will be much lower then 32 ampére. IF they were linear, they would use 16A then, and since 16*2 = 32, u'r supply would be able to give enough power. But, watch out with some pc power supply's, there is some real junk out there.
    And also: I'm not quit sure the TEC's would use 16A @ 12V. IF they were linear they would, but only IF.

Sorry to interupt....agian.... ?.

For two 24v 437w TEC at 32amps..can it be powered by a 12v 800w at 36amps.

Kinda muck up with this...please explian
    Sorry my question might have been worded wrong...each TEC is 24v 437w at 32amps
    The power supply is the Meanwell SCN-800w 12v at 66amps...so once again can they be powered with that psu.

Sorry still learning

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Since you take a power supply with 12V, the TEC's will only get 12V. This is not going to destroy u'r supply or something, so don't be affraid, but it is just like that. So the TEC's get only 50% of there maximum voltage. If the TEC's work @ lower voltage, they will also drain less current. Let's say TEC's react linear, they would only ask 50% of the the maximum current -> 32/2=16A If they were linear, but I can't answer that question.
    So if each TEC is only using 16A, u could almost use 4 TEC's on that supply.
    But then again: why buying such a big TEC if u only use halve of it. Then u'r better with a smaller one i guess.

Ok now Im starting to understand how this work so the main concern is matching the volts so not to loose 50% of every thing else. But yet addin two TEC to say the Meanwell SCN-800 24v 33amps.. I will still be cutting the amps in half too 16amps so I need to make sure that the TEC will evan operate at such low amps than required. So I need to be looking for a power supply for one TEC*2 which i have not yet found a 24v with 66amps

?...with the amps, when adding two TECs the amps will be cut in half but not the volts
    psu
    http://www.computronics.com.au/meanwell/scn-800/
    TEC
    http://www.frozencpu.com/exp-04.html
    To all...Safe Journeys

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Putting the TEC's on the meanwell SCN800 will destroy the supply. The TEC's will ask more current then the supply can give, so the supply will be working >100%.
    Can u work more effective then 100%? Don't think so The supply will be able to hold it a few moments, but after a period it will die. I killled 2 supply's last week by doing this.
    Normally u use the TEC's in parralell on your supply, wich means the voltage keeps the same for each TEC (24V), and the current we be sepperated for each TEC. If u give each TEC 24V, they will each need 30A. So conecting those in paralell, u will need a 24V 60A supply, atleast. The Meanwell SCN1k5 will do the job.

dammmm....wit everything was lookin good til I scrolled all the way down bout fell out my jar...my wife asked if i was okay . But it is a 220 which i don't think will work for me unless.......I use a voltage converter.
    To all...Safe Journeys

Xtreme Member

What about tec's wired in a series?

I know it's possible to hook up tec's this way as I've seen it mentioned around the web but does anyone know how this affects the power requirements?

I've got a ghetto tec that I robbed from a cooler/warmer. It has a little switching psu that gives 5.8a@12v according to the label. I don't know what the tec is rated at but lets pretend its 60 watts.

If I hook the positive of the first tec to the supply and then the negative to a second 60 watt tec then the negative of tec 2 to the negative supply lead what happens?

I know a 60watt tec is too weak to stic on much of anything. My question is more theoretical than practical as far as actual cpu cooling.

Anybody know? To make it work what volts/amps would I need in theory?

tia

CCBBE 0610DPMW 2800@1.33v - X1900XT 256mb - Twinmos powerchip 2-3-3-8 230ish - XFI Xtreme Gamer - OCZ Powerstream 520 Adjustable-AeroCool Spiral Galaxy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, u could use them in series too.
    Connecting in series, the current will be the same for the two TEC's, but the voltage wont. Were in parallell the current is devided into two for each component (if they are the same...), putting them in series the voltage will be devided into two.
    So with 2 12V/6A TEC's, u will need a 12V 12A supply with TEC's in parallell, or a 24V 6A supply with TEC's in serie.
    I would use parallell, because I think it's safer. U see, when one of the two TEC's has a little different resistance, it will get more voltage then the other:
    U=R*I, so more R and I stays the same, U will be bigger.
    That could be a problem if the difference in R is more bigger then u think it might be, and one of the TEC's will get more U then it's maximum voltage it may get.
    So U > Umax of the TEC -> doing this much will kill the TEC.
    With two TEC's that are the same u wont have much problem, but there is always a possibility it could happen. With TEC's in parallell, u can never have this. If u don't take a 24V supply with 2 12V TEC's in parallell that is
    I'm not quit sure about this theorie, I'm no teacher in electronics, I'm just using some basic formules if learned once I was still @ school. But it makes sence to me.
    And if u really were about to do use the TEC's, just use parallell, it had been done all around the world, so no worries for u then

Xtreme Member
    hey guys, i gotta question with a bunch of ambiguity here. im finally gonan put a AMD heatsink on my vid card, but i ahve a pelt here from a while back. form what i rember its a 127 watt pelt form dangerden. yea i know this is a worthless number but i cant find out what kidn it was, or any signifcant measurements about this unit. a firend jsut gave me an old power supply an "extremo power super silent power supply 550w" wiht NO modle number on it at all. he bought this unit for 13 dollars aobut a year ago and it is the lightest supply i;ve ever picked up, so im kidna doubting it can really put out anywere near 550watts. the lines are 3.3=28A 5= 30a 12v= 11a.

now to the question. do any of you think that i can reap any kinda of benfit using acpu coller and pelt? or will i be creating more heat that dissapating, and do you think this powersupply will power anything worth a pile of rubble?

anything you guys can thinkg of/find, tis much appreciated. thnx again.
    i has a aych dee thirtee ate sevin-d.
    and a puter.
    wif a screen.
    an mouse.
    hai.

OCZ powerstream?

I was wondering if an OCZ powerstream (520w) with 33a on 12V would be sufficient for one 226W tec? This would be the only powersupply I would be using for the whole system. On it I have an overclocked opteron 165 (300x9 @ 1.65V) overclocked 7800GTX, 2 HD's, 1 optical drive, DFI expert mobo, swiftech 120 Rev3a watercooling, sb audigy 2.
    Intel Q6700 @ 3.37
    2x2gb OCZ DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-20
    EVGA 790i Ultra
    4870x2
    4x40gb Sata 2 Raid 0
    OCZ 700W PSU
    Custom Danger Den Waterloop

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benefit14snake
    I was wondering if an OCZ powerstream (520w) with 33a on 12V would be sufficient for one 226W tec? This would be the only powersupply I would be using for the whole system. On it I have an overclocked opteron 165 (300x9 @ 1.65V) overclocked 7800GTX, 2 HD's, 1 optical drive, DFI expert mobo, swiftech 120 Rev3a watercooling, sb audigy 2.
    you need a second powersupply to power the tec
    Single 7800GT 3dMark2001 54939 3dMark03 22547 3dMark05 9968 3dMark06 5590 Aquamark 150656

Ok thanks!
    Intel Q6700 @ 3.37
    2x2gb OCZ DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-20
    EVGA 790i Ultra
    4870x2
    4x40gb Sata 2 Raid 0
    OCZ 700W PSU
    Custom Danger Den Waterloop

Xtreme Member

ive read the power supply thread

ive looked at 50 different power supplies all i want is something that sits on my desk looks decent HAS A KNOB ON THE FRONT TO VARY THE VOLTAGE from 5v to 18v or what ever the correct max voltage should be for one of these devices. It will only power a SINGLE MCW5002-AT™ LIQUID COOLED THERMOELECTRIC ASSEMBLY that claims it draws the following specs: 226Watts 25A at 12V thermoelectric module. Oh and by the way i would like to not have to ebay my left nut just to pay for the damn thing. can someone point me to a specific make or makes and a few model numbers that will fit the bill.
    Thanks a Ton
    Lee

Just wondering what sort of wattage i want for a tec. my chip is clocked at
    3.025GHZ (3700+ sandi) using a arctic cooler 64 PRO. at load it is appox 45 degrees. Could i use a SFF PSU on its own to power a tec im only after using a single tec on the loop.

I need to run two 80w pelts on a normal ATX PC power supply via molex. The pelts are all that will be on the power supply. I have two power supplys:

DC +3.5V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5Vsb
    Output 17A 13A 15A 0.3A 0.8A 2A

Enhance Electronics Co., LTD. Model No. ENP-220D 200W Power Supply

AC Output Current +3.5V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5Vsb
    10A/5A 26.0A 32.0A 13.0A 0.5A 0.8V 2.0A

Raidmax Model No. KY-520ATX 420W Power Supply

Can either of these power supplys handle two 80w pelts via molex? Also for my application of one of the pelts I actually want condensation to form on the cool side. How much condensation do you think would form?

Thanks

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast