Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALWAYS wear a seatbelt!

AMD Fanboy
    Originally posted by Jeff
    Funny thing is I grew up wearing one so I feel strange when I don't have one on. Even if I jump into the car to talk to my wife or someone at work, I just get this horrible feeling without it on... even when we're not moving.
    im with you.. im the same way. i feel all weird and dirty if i dont have it on.

@ the guy in teh vid.. oww....
    Dell Studio XPS16... no desktop
    yes i have AIM, yes you can send me a message. EvilSpork3 i dare you.

Xtreme Legend
    Originally posted by Smizack
    I'll never wear one again. I know 2 people that died from them, and a few years ago I was in a pretty bad car wreck, and they said if we had ours on we (me and the driver) would both be dead.

F*** seatbelts.

I see. So you choose to gamble on the 1% or so chance that a seatbelt would kill you...
    having already cheated death once you still bet on the 1% rather than the 99%??? Thats like playing Russian roulette and consider it safer than not playing it

idd, what are the odds that the seatbelt cuts you to death ...

do you really think that they still be alive WITHOUT the seatbelt?

sometimes ppl drive SO fast, that they die no matter what safety stuff the car is supplied with...

I ALWAYS WEAR MY BELT..and i'm goddamn proud of it, if it saves my life...great...if it doesn't...bad luck

just my
    SOON) Dual Core Opteron 165 - Shuttle SN25P - 2*512MB TCCD - 36GB+2*250GB - X800GTO²
    Dual AMD 1800+ MP - 3*200GB + 3*300GB RAID5 - LSI MegaRAID 150.6
    Acer TM 4000 LMi - Hyundai ImageQuest Q17

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by Ow_jeih
    idd, what are the odds that the seatbelt cuts you to death ...
    I don't think it's so much of the "cutting" as it is people worry that it will be hard to get off and they will burn up or something...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i always wear it.. as people said.. doesn't feel right not wearing one. knocking on wood - never needed one so far, hoping it to stay that way. and i don't fear the bruises. the only thing that frightens me is the idea of being stuck in a burning car due to that belt. but i always got a pocket knife around, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    not wearing a belt can get you far - far from the car . back in his late teens, early twens my dad sat in the back of a car, my mom on the front passenger. well their friend driving it managed to flip it and my dad was launched out of the car, hitting the fields past the car - nothing did happen to him, but i guess you only have that kind of luck once in your life. needless to say he didn't wear a belt then. btw, my mom and the driver got out of the car with minor cuts and stuff from the windscreen - they apparently did wear the belts

and just check the force of that impact. it seems he got it on the front left part of the car, then had a good spin and finally hit something else - that's when he ends up in the right rear corner, half out of the window. - from all of that video it seems like the guy maybe ran a red and got hit or sth.. he seems sleepy and all before the impact
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Xtremely Large Member
    If you're worried about getting out of the seatbelt, you can pick up a seatbelt cutter for a few pounds/dollars, problem solved.
    I've heard it all, I've seen it all, I've done it all. I just don't remember any of it.

DFI LanParty UT NF3 | A-64 3200+ | 1Gb OCZ EL DDR PC-3500 Limited Edition
    Radeon X800XT | Audigy 2 | 2x WD 74Gb Raptors | 60Gb IBM | 20Gb Maxtor
    OCZ PowerStream 520w | Mach II GT Cooled

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yea, i got my swiss army knife - that should do it.
    only times i ever drove without a belt was in me good olde m113a1 in my army days. 11tons with 246ps raw power, lol. almost chipped some teeth after jumping a few feet at about 80km/h on some icy trail with it. yay that landing put a 1cm deep cut into the bottom plate of the tank, wrecked part of the suspension and the "lead-wheel" - oh my <g> - didn't notice this until about 1/2 year later on inspection .
    oh that tank didn't have belts anyway...
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

I am lame
    Originally posted by JCviggen
    I see. So you choose to gamble on the 1% or so chance that a seatbelt would kill you...
    having already cheated death once you still bet on the 1% rather than the 99%??? Thats like playing Russian roulette and consider it safer than not playing it
    If you look at it like that - Then I cheated death by not wearing my seatbelt.

And for a perspective, 3 people I know died (would have) from seatbelts and no one I know has ever died from not wearing one.

So, if that's your 1% then yeah, that's what I'm betting on.

I am lame
    Originally posted by st0nedpenguin
    If you're worried about getting out of the seatbelt, you can pick up a seatbelt cutter for a few pounds/dollars, problem solved.
    That's not gonna do you any good when your knocked out and the belt is suffocating you.

Xtreme Member
    As an over the road trucker for the past 12 years I've seen more than a few serious wrecks. In my opinion, the best way to prevent accidents and injurys is to drive intelligently.
    Unfortunately, very few people do. Best bet , be smart, drive defensive, don't take chances. I have over 2 million logged miles,accident-free, and in my experience, seat belts do not improve your chances of surviving a wreck, at least not on the open highway at high speeds.
    For the record, I'm semi-retired (pun intended),I still own a tractor- trailer, but I hired a driver and I'm now a stay at home single parent.
    BTW, like any good trucker, I always buckle up when driving through a weigh-station. I never use it otherwise, car or truck.
    I find them to restricting.
    Chances of dieing while not wearing a seat belt? Last time I checked it was about 50-50. Haven't seen any statistics for a couple of years now. Stats are readily available in many truck oriented publications.
    Last edited by mrzee; 02-05-2004 at 04:28 AM.

P4C800-E Deluxe
    P4 3.0c 30 capper @
    280x15,5:4;4200MHz
    2x512 Zeus BH5
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2 Raptors,raid 0
    Prometeia Cooled

I Never Sleep

X. I. P.
    The problem with any seat belt statistics is that they all require a judgement call.

You have many factors, including such as:

Was the accident a "survivable" accident

Was/were the accident victims attended to in a timely manner by the emergency services system?

What was the mechanism of the accident? For instance, in a "T-bone" accident seat belts do little for the victims in the vehicle being T-boned. But the occupants of the vehicle hitting head-on into the other vehicle are being protected by their seat belts.

So, statistics - whether they favor wearing or not wearting seat belts - mean very little.

Not wearing a seat belt in an "air-bag" accident is a known cause of "submarine" types of injuries - the bag forces the victim down and under the dash area, causing crumpling injuries to the body, including the spine. That's one of the few areas where statistics can be useful - the conditions triggering the air bag limit the variables.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

I am lame
    Originally posted by sjohnson
    The problem with any seat belt statistics is that they all require a judgement call.

You have many factors, including such as:

Was the accident a "survivable" accident
    That also could depend on a seatbelt. Like my crash - Not survivable with a seatbelt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12