View Poll Results: For US$200, would you choose a high-end mid tower or an entry/mid-level full tower?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • High-end mid tower

17 65.38%
  • Entry/mid-level full tower

9 34.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For US$200, Would You Choose a High-End Mid Tower or an Entry/Mid-Level Full Tower?

For US$200, Would You Choose a High-End Mid Tower or an Entry/Mid-Level Full Tower?

Hi everyone.

Lian Li is currently starting to plan their next generation of products and would like your input.

Based on your preference, if you had US$200 dollars in your pocket would you be more likely to choose a high-end mid tower chassis or an entry/mid level full tower?

Feel free to post why?
    Last edited by Lian Li Tech; 09-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    GlobalPR.com.tw | Official Agency for Lian Li
    Visit Lian Li at www.Lian-Li.com
    www.facebook.com/LianLiHQ

Xtreme Addict
    Full.

I know others probably would, however I just can't find myself spending $200 on a mid tower. I would drop $200 on a nice full tower provided it had nice rad options
    Last edited by CrazyNutz; 09-05-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Legend
    How big is a PC-90? ... that with rad compartment beneath size.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    Full.

I know others probably would, however I just can't find myself spending $200 on a mid tower. I would drop $200 on a nice full tower provided it had nice rad options
    Same with me. But it would all depend on the case, if it was what I was looking for at the time then yes I would drop $200 on a mid.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    $200 on a mid any day over a full tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

PI in the face
    I could never see myself spending $200 on any type of case but thats just me. Im more in the $100 range tops
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Addict
    It really depends on how many spaces the mid tower has for hard drives with me. Most mid towers have only 3 spaces for drives, which means I am always looking at full towers because I have multiple solid state drives and large storage drives. If you could pack 8 drive bays (maybe one of them with a built in adapter for two SSDs) Im sure it would be a huge hit to anyone in my shoes. A full tower is just too big for a lot of peoples desks and the wives/girlfriends complain about computers taking up so much space, so a mid size tower is much more practical for most people.

Sure you dont need to expect to be able to support a triple 120mm radiator (or even dual 120 radiators) and a bunch of 13"+ graphics cards in a mid tower, but I bet you could make a single dual 120mm radiator up on the top fit, as well as enough space for a single really long GPU, pack out the rest with HDD spaces. People dont need DVD bays anymore, a single drive bay for a DVD/bluray is perfect for most people so keep extending those HDD spaces on up. The majority of users use digital media or flash drives now days, and just use a DVD/CD drive for the initial ripping of a new audio CD or to do the first install of Windows, beyond that they are rarely used. And you dont need a big long section for the power supply, just take the average ATX12v/EPS12v size, add 2" so the occasional extra long PSU still fits, and then pack out the rest of the bottom with hard drive bays. use a bottom mounted PSU bay, and give it some cutout spaces so wires can be routed behind the motherboard.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    How big is a PC-90? ... that with rad compartment beneath size.
    The PC-90 is a full tower.

If you want the exact dimensions, it is 230mm x 505mm x 489mm (WxHxD). Or for our American friends 9" x 19.8" x 19.2".

So the full tower for you, OldChap?

Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    It really depends on how many spaces the mid tower has for hard drives with me. Most mid towers have only 3 spaces for drives, which means I am always looking at full towers because I have multiple solid state drives and large storage drives. If you could pack 8 drive bays (maybe one of them with a built in adapter for two SSDs) Im sure it would be a huge hit to anyone in my shoes. A full tower is just too big for a lot of peoples desks and the wives/girlfriends complain about computers taking up so much space, so a mid size tower is much more practical for most people.

Sure you dont need to expect to be able to support a triple 120mm radiator (or even dual 120 radiators) and a bunch of 13"+ graphics cards in a mid tower, but I bet you could make a single dual 120mm radiator up on the top fit, as well as enough space for a single really long GPU, pack out the rest with HDD spaces. People dont need DVD bays anymore, a single drive bay for a DVD/bluray is perfect for most people so keep extending those HDD spaces on up. The majority of users use digital media or flash drives now days, and just use a DVD/CD drive for the initial ripping of a new audio CD or to do the first install of Windows, beyond that they are rarely used. And you dont need a big long section for the power supply, just take the average ATX12v/EPS12v size, add 2" so the occasional extra long PSU still fits, and then pack out the rest of the bottom with hard drive bays. use a bottom mounted PSU bay, and give it some cutout spaces so wires can be routed behind the motherboard.
    EniGmA1987, thanks for your input. So is the most important thing to you being able to install a lot of hard drives in a mid tower? How do you feel about the PC-V700? While it doesn't hold 8 3.5". It can hold up to 6 3.5" and 2 2.5". What improvements or changes would you like to see on a case like this?

Also, how do you feel about a single ODD bay on a mid tower in order to save a bit of room?

Xtreme Member
    Just spent $150 on a Cooler Master Sorm Trooper, actually. I prefer having room to work, and not having to worry about how my gfx cards will affect my CPU temps. Also, being able to fit some watercooling in there comfortable is helpful.
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
    The PC-90 is a full tower.

If you want the exact dimensions, it is 230mm x 505mm x 489mm (WxHxD). Or for our American friends 9" x 19.8" x 19.2".

So the full tower for you, OldChap?
    My first and only other case purchase was an antec 900 which I thought was a mid and this pc-90 feels like it is the same sort of size just with the quality done right

.....but if you say it is full then I want full plus that space under for 120mm rad on edge. Looking closely I think that maybe, just maybe, the answer this time around will be to use a 400*200 mounted outside on the bottom if I can figure a few fine details about feet etc.

Maybe there is some mileage in making available options and add ons for your proposed case design (like a watercooling plinth) That way folks could buy the basic case and adopt the options to suit their needs.

Just thinking aloud here .... trying to keep basic cost down but still make the design attractive to more people.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Addict
    EniGmA1987, thanks for your input. So is the most important thing to you being able to install a lot of hard drives in a mid tower? How do you feel about the PC-V700? While it doesn't hold 8 3.5". It can hold up to 6 3.5" and 2 2.5". What improvements or changes would you like to see on a case like this?

Also, how do you feel about a single ODD bay on a mid tower in order to save a bit of room?

Pretty much exactly like that, but most mid towers you see are between 18-19" in size. That tower is 15.75" which looks like it was designed specifically like that to be smaller than the competition. So pretty much take the same design, but add 3" so the PSU is down lower and extend the HDD bays down as well so it has room for an additional 2-3 drives in the front. People dont need 440mm of space for a GPU card length, big GPU cards are only 11.5" long and that isnt even 300mm length. This vertical change would bring it in line with a more normal sized mid tower and increase the usefulness. Additionally, since the PSU is front mounted and there would be another 3" of room, you should look into the possibility of adding another 4 HDD bays underneath the motherboard where the PSU normally would sit in most designs. You already use that space for 2 hard drives, but this would just be extending that to add more bays in that same location with the extra vertical space. It might even be possible to squeeze a total of 6 drive bays underneath the motherboard. That would mean you could theoretically have a total of 12 HDD bays! Design of the exterior still looks great though, that doesnt need to be changed
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 09-06-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

By the polling and the comments so far, I feel there is a consenus that people will probably pick a full tower for the most part, unless there is a mid tower case that can support at least a single dual 120" rad, long expansion cards and plenty of hard drives.

EniGmA1987 recommends at least 8 to really pull him into the mid tower world. What do the rest of you guys think? Is having 8 HDD bays just right, too much, or not enough for you?

Administrator
    8 is a lot of hard drives really.

I use 2x Intel 120gb SSD's in Raid 0, these can fit in one bay.
    Also an aditional 4 hard drives which is far more then I need really as I also have external storage.
    This is 3x 2TB drives + 1x 1TB drive for a total of 7TB storage which is plenty, for me at least.

I also see a lot of case modders who only use either 1 SSD or 2 in Raid 0 for OS, then only one more hard drive. These are for full tower cases also.

Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    I could never see myself spending $200 on any type of case but thats just me. Im more in the $100 range tops
    Nothing wrong with that. So what kind of features do you look for in a $100 case, Splave? Plenty of storage, ease of install, cooling, overall looks...?

Xtreme Member
    I would do $200-$250 but it would have be good.

my wishlist:

Full tower
    Support for all Motherboard sizes for expansion
    Support for Long Graphic Cards
    10 HDD bays mounts on the back of the motherboard tray
    removable motherboard tray
    5 ODD bays +1 for fan controller/temp monitor
    8 HDD/SDD bays at the bottom (removable)
    Support for 360/420 rads up top and bottom and 240 rad on the ODD bay
    res mount holes (aquatube or EK long tube res)
    Sound damping for silence/quiet operation
    Lain Li excellence
    Easy to use/install
    Full aluminium

Just a idea or is there a case that can do that already?
    Work/Gaming: i7-950|GB X58A-UD7|12GB Trident BBSE/XMS3|460GTX|WD 1TB BLK|Pioneer DVDRW|CM HAF-X|Win 7 Pro 64 bit|U2711|HX850|G500|G510
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    I protect my gskills like how i protect my balls
    Heatware: jimba86
    Bench:Custom Giga-bench|Win 7/XP SP3|WD 36GB Raptor|Dell 22|AX1200|MS intellimouse
    Bench 1:i7 930|water 2.0 performer|Gigabyte X58A-OC | 4GB corsair 1866 CL7|GTX 295 Quad SLI
    Bench 2:E8500|NHD14|P45-UD3P(2nd PCIEx16 slot broken.. )|2GB Corsair 8888 Cl4|GTX 260 SOC
    (Bench 3: In Progress) 4770K|F1EE|Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force| 4GB GTX1 /8GB Gskill TridentX 2666CL11 ney pro|5870 x3 on KPC tek9 slim 5.0/7.0
    Bench 4 E8600|NHD14|REX|2GB Corsair 1800 Cl7|Asus GTX 280
    Bench 5 (TBC): FX?|990FX-UD7|Gskill Flare 2000 Cl7|6970
    Server/renderbox: G3258|TT Water 2.0|Gigabyte Z87 Sniper M5|8GB Gskill Sniper 2133|gigabyte 5750|FD NODE 804

Quote Originally Posted by jimba86 View Post
    I would do $200-$250 but it would have be good.

my wishlist:

Full tower
    Support for all Motherboard sizes for expansion
    Support for Long Graphic Cards
    10 HDD bays mounts on the back of the motherboard tray
    removable motherboard tray
    5 ODD bays +1 for fan controller/temp monitor
    8 HDD/SDD bays at the bottom (removable)
    Support for 360/420 rads up top and bottom and 240 rad on the ODD bay
    res mount holes (aquatube or EK long tube res)
    Sound damping for silence/quiet operation
    Lain Li excellence
    Easy to use/install
    Full aluminium

Just a idea or is there a case that can do that already?
    Thanks for being very specific. Just a quick question, why do you want 5 ODD bays?

And no there is currently nothing in the product line with those features for around that price.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    This is a tough question because it depends on what your space allotment for the case is and also usage.
    I'm all into full tower and cubes because of more and better air flow BUT when building a system for people generally they want mid towers and not 'Those big clunky cases"
    Hey, they are clueless but they are the customer.
    If your not building a super high end screamer that has volcanoes for cpu and vid cards the mid is fine..BUT
    I still like the full towers.
    I have a G70 here that had a dual water cooled Harperton system in, then a dual 24 core AMD and a beauty to work with.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

What improvements or changes would you like to see on a case like this?
    Why no little door to hide the external front ports behind? It seems a minor detail that can't really cost all the much to build in. Naked external ports = no $$.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for being very specific. Just a quick question, why do you want 5 ODD bays?

And no there is currently nothing in the product line with those features for around that price.
    Im not sure..it just sounded overkill..would be good for backup i guess.like having a NAS inside the same case as your main system?
    Work/Gaming: i7-950|GB X58A-UD7|12GB Trident BBSE/XMS3|460GTX|WD 1TB BLK|Pioneer DVDRW|CM HAF-X|Win 7 Pro 64 bit|U2711|HX850|G500|G510
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    I protect my gskills like how i protect my balls
    Heatware: jimba86
    Bench:Custom Giga-bench|Win 7/XP SP3|WD 36GB Raptor|Dell 22|AX1200|MS intellimouse
    Bench 1:i7 930|water 2.0 performer|Gigabyte X58A-OC | 4GB corsair 1866 CL7|GTX 295 Quad SLI
    Bench 2:E8500|NHD14|P45-UD3P(2nd PCIEx16 slot broken.. )|2GB Corsair 8888 Cl4|GTX 260 SOC
    (Bench 3: In Progress) 4770K|F1EE|Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force| 4GB GTX1 /8GB Gskill TridentX 2666CL11 ney pro|5870 x3 on KPC tek9 slim 5.0/7.0
    Bench 4 E8600|NHD14|REX|2GB Corsair 1800 Cl7|Asus GTX 280
    Bench 5 (TBC): FX?|990FX-UD7|Gskill Flare 2000 Cl7|6970
    Server/renderbox: G3258|TT Water 2.0|Gigabyte Z87 Sniper M5|8GB Gskill Sniper 2133|gigabyte 5750|FD NODE 804

Quote Originally Posted by Momonishiki View Post
    Why no little door to hide the external front ports behind? It seems a minor detail that can't really cost all the much to build in. Naked external ports = no $$.
    Ok. Do you prefer the ports on the top or on the front panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    This is a tough question because it depends on what your space allotment for the case is and also usage.
    I'm all into full tower and cubes because of more and better air flow BUT when building a system for people generally they want mid towers and not 'Those big clunky cases"
    Hey, they are clueless but they are the customer.
    If your not building a super high end screamer that has volcanoes for cpu and vid cards the mid is fine..BUT
    I still like the full towers.
    I have a G70 here that had a dual water cooled Harperton system in, then a dual 24 core AMD and a beauty to work with.
    Got any pics of your G70?

Xtreme Member
    Dear Lian Li,

I bought a PC-A04B. i then put an EX-23B in the drive bays, so i had 10 hard drive spaces, in a small form factor box, with great access to all my drives for cabling etc.

if you could bring out an ALL ALUMINIUM case, that can do a mATX motherboard, a regular ATX PSU, and 12+ hdd spaces (and NO 5.25" drives!), with excellent spacing for cable routing (particularly the 24pin, 8pin eps and area for sata power and data cables) id buy it in a heartbeat to replace the A04.

ive owned 5 lian li cases, the PC-A04, V352, PC-X1000, PC-P50BW and PC-P80B.
    all have been fantastic cases, but each has that one tiny thing that makes them imperfect.
    the A04 needs more space at the back for routing the 24pin. i love with this case that you can remove drive bays entirely if you dont need them, but they are rigid if they are filled.
    the V352 had a 5.25" drive bay that couldnt have cables routed into it and had very low clearance for graphics cards with side mounted power cables.
    the X1000 needed a window side panel that showed only the motherboard compartment, and space at the top for a H100 style cooler in the roof, or to remove the roof part altogether.
    the P80 had enormous size, but the lower part was wasted when using an ATX board, without filling this area with a radiator.
    and the P50 could have had 120mm fans in the roof, allowing for H100 style coolers, as well as removing 5.25" drive bays in favour of spaces for 3.5" drives.

my next planned case is the V700. it looks great, has removable hard drive areas (my main pc runs a single ssd), and it has a precut hole for the 8pin EPS connector.
    my only concern is the spacing for the two 120mm fans in the roof allows for a H100, but im concerned there will not be clearance for my motherboard (a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5, but many motherboards have similar PWM coolers along the top edge)

Im a big fan of the mechanisms you use, please continue to use the PCI locks present in the X1000, as well as the door latch style seen on the X1000.

-i think that was sort of a rant, but i hope it made some sense.

i7 4770K [L315B347]
    Gigabyte Z97 SOC Force
    F3-2600C10D-8GTXD | F3-2666C11Q-16GTXD
    GTX780 Epower2
    Corsair AX1200i
    TRUE Copper| Custom Water | Kingpin Venom 6.66 | Kingpin Tek-9 Fat

i7 4770K [L312B515] | Asus Max VI Impact | 2x8GB Kingston 1600c10
    600GB WD Velociraptor
    GTX580 Classified
    Silverstone M600W Strider
    Coolermaster Elite 130

i3 3225 | Asrock B75M Pro3 | 2x4gb Kingston 1333c9
    Intel 520 60GB | LSI 9211-8i | 6x Seagate 4TB
    Silverstone M600W Strider
    Silverstone GD08

Admin
    As for me I would pick a mid size case. I,m tierd of big cases. $200 is too much for a mid size case. so go figure.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Addict
    I am very interested in seeing a HTPC case that will hold more than five HDDS and at least one full size video card at the same time and that is watercooling friendly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast