View Poll Results: For US$200, would you choose a high-end mid tower or an entry/mid-level full tower?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • High-end mid tower

17 65.38%
  • Entry/mid-level full tower

9 34.62%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For US$200, Would You Choose a High-End Mid Tower or an Entry/Mid-Level Full Tower?

Xtreme Addict
    Many of the people here seem to be calling for more 3.5" HDD spaces

Another thing I would like to add is that I wish more of your towers used 120mm fans on the top rather than 140mm. Sure you can push more air with the bigger fans and usually quieter, but all the premade closed loop water coolers (like Corsair H80, H100, Antec Kuhler, etc) use the 120mm size so they dont fit right at the top of the case. A real problem when that is the only place the dual radiators would even have a chance of fitting.
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 09-10-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Quote Originally Posted by runmc View Post
    As for me I would pick a mid size case. I,m tierd of big cases. $200 is too much for a mid size case. so go figure.
    What price range do you go for? What features do you expect for your desired price point?
    GlobalPR.com.tw | Official Agency for Lian Li
    Visit Lian Li at www.Lian-Li.com
    www.facebook.com/LianLiHQ

Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Many of the people here seem to be calling for more 3.5" HDD spaces

Another thing I would like to add is that I wish more of your towers used 120mm fans on the top rather than 140mm. Sure you can push more air with the bigger fans and usually quieter, but all the premade closed loop water coolers (like Corsair H80, H100, Antec Kuhler, etc) use the 120mm size so they dont fit right at the top of the case. A real problem when that is the only place the dual radiators would even have a chance of fitting.
    More water cooling support also seems to be a general consensus.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
    What price range do you go for? What features do you expect for your desired price point?
    You'll have to excuse Ron(runmc) he's an old fart like me except you'd need the 'Jaws of Life" to pry his wallet open..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jaws of life.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	129957
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    More water cooling support also seems to be a general consensus.
    The one thing I couldn't find a few years back was a tower case deep enough to get a 560 rad into..
    605mm in length..
    IMHO what is needed is a BIG tower with enough room under the top or in the bottom (or both) to drop a big rad and the ascoiated parts into.
    I did water cool a G70 with a EATX dual SM Harpertown system and had room inside the bottom for a 320 rad but thats a few years back and now most
    of the people want room for a 420 rad
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Member
    I want the train case to become a standard feature in the lian LI lineup..that thing looks awesome..can make the track bigger?
    Work/Gaming: i7-950|GB X58A-UD7|12GB Trident BBSE/XMS3|460GTX|WD 1TB BLK|Pioneer DVDRW|CM HAF-X|Win 7 Pro 64 bit|U2711|HX850|G500|G510
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    I protect my gskills like how i protect my balls
    Heatware: jimba86
    Bench:Custom Giga-bench|Win 7/XP SP3|WD 36GB Raptor|Dell 22|AX1200|MS intellimouse
    Bench 1:i7 930|water 2.0 performer|Gigabyte X58A-OC | 4GB corsair 1866 CL7|GTX 295 Quad SLI
    Bench 2:E8500|NHD14|P45-UD3P(2nd PCIEx16 slot broken.. )|2GB Corsair 8888 Cl4|GTX 260 SOC
    (Bench 3: In Progress) 4770K|F1EE|Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force| 4GB GTX1 /8GB Gskill TridentX 2666CL11 ney pro|5870 x3 on KPC tek9 slim 5.0/7.0
    Bench 4 E8600|NHD14|REX|2GB Corsair 1800 Cl7|Asus GTX 280
    Bench 5 (TBC): FX?|990FX-UD7|Gskill Flare 2000 Cl7|6970
    Server/renderbox: G3258|TT Water 2.0|Gigabyte Z87 Sniper M5|8GB Gskill Sniper 2133|gigabyte 5750|FD NODE 804

Quote Originally Posted by jimba86 View Post
    I want the train case to become a standard feature in the lian LI lineup..that thing looks awesome..can make the track bigger?
    The train is a comin'. Hold tight. Can't say too much before the release date but there will be an option to have a longer track.

Quote Originally Posted by AVulgarPicture View Post
    Dear Lian Li,

I bought a PC-A04B. i then put an EX-23B in the drive bays, so i had 10 hard drive spaces, in a small form factor box, with great access to all my drives for cabling etc.

if you could bring out an ALL ALUMINIUM case, that can do a mATX motherboard, a regular ATX PSU, and 12+ hdd spaces (and NO 5.25" drives!), with excellent spacing for cable routing (particularly the 24pin, 8pin eps and area for sata power and data cables) id buy it in a heartbeat to replace the A04.

ive owned 5 lian li cases, the PC-A04, V352, PC-X1000, PC-P50BW and PC-P80B.
    all have been fantastic cases, but each has that one tiny thing that makes them imperfect.
    the A04 needs more space at the back for routing the 24pin. i love with this case that you can remove drive bays entirely if you dont need them, but they are rigid if they are filled.
    the V352 had a 5.25" drive bay that couldnt have cables routed into it and had very low clearance for graphics cards with side mounted power cables.
    the X1000 needed a window side panel that showed only the motherboard compartment, and space at the top for a H100 style cooler in the roof, or to remove the roof part altogether.
    the P80 had enormous size, but the lower part was wasted when using an ATX board, without filling this area with a radiator.
    and the P50 could have had 120mm fans in the roof, allowing for H100 style coolers, as well as removing 5.25" drive bays in favour of spaces for 3.5" drives.

my next planned case is the V700. it looks great, has removable hard drive areas (my main pc runs a single ssd), and it has a precut hole for the 8pin EPS connector.
    my only concern is the spacing for the two 120mm fans in the roof allows for a H100, but im concerned there will not be clearance for my motherboard (a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5, but many motherboards have similar PWM coolers along the top edge)

Im a big fan of the mechanisms you use, please continue to use the PCI locks present in the X1000, as well as the door latch style seen on the X1000.

-i think that was sort of a rant, but i hope it made some sense.
    Rant away.

Yes, you may have a little trouble with a water cooling setup in the PC-V700 without some modifications.

Xtreme Enthusiast

$100 is my limit

My current buying habbit in mid case is the Coolermaster Elite 370RC for around $40USD without the PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119255

But I would like something better for around $100, nothing special, mATX, 1DVD,4HDs(1SSD+3clockwork HD),1 STANDARD SIZE Graphics card(GT 430 Fermi), air cooled for hot rooms with no AC on in the day.

I just want a well built case that does not vibrate with PSU, HD and does not make a coke can look well made.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Standard features for a mid tower

360 radiator without modding at the top or bottom
    A place to mount your pump.. (mounting pump location should be a standard now.)
    Front 140mm or 200mm Intake fan
    Cable management built in with all black cables
    Optional Color theme: For example ROG boards with black and red inside the chassis or all black for that Sabertooth look
    SSD Mounts without adding additional 3.25 brackets

I would pay 200 for a case loaded with those features. For a full tower I would expect all of those features above but with bigger radiator mounts.
    Last edited by idleuser; 09-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Ok. Do you prefer the ports on the top or on the front panel?
    See the Silverstone TJ-09 for what seems a perfect solution with regard to the front ports. Sorry for mentioning the Silverstone name!

Quote Originally Posted by Momonishiki View Post
    See the Silverstone TJ-09 for what seems a perfect solution with regard to the front ports. Sorry for mentioning the Silverstone name!
    No need to apologize. It is always good to know what people like.

Quote Originally Posted by idleuser View Post
    Standard features for a mid tower

360 radiator without modding at the top or bottom
    A place to mount your pump.. (mounting pump location should be a standard now.)
    Front 140mm or 200mm Intake fan
    Cable management built in with all black cables
    Optional Color theme: For example ROG boards with black and red inside the chassis or all black for that Sabertooth look
    SSD Mounts without adding additional 3.25 brackets

I would pay 200 for a case loaded with those features. For a full tower I would expect all of those features above but with bigger radiator mounts.
    How many 3.5" and 2.5" do you usually use in a system?

Xtreme 3D Team
    I'm not sure what the alu equivalent of the Steel PC-K56W is but I'd happily pay $200 for an aluminum version with black interior and 2x120mm or viable 2x140mm top radiator mount and completely removable interior 3.5" HDD cage and 2x 5.25 to 3.5 bay converters + 1x 5.25 to 4x 2.5 converter.

That would allow 2x120mm + 1x120mm + opt 1x120mm radiators while leaving space for a floor mounted pump and res in the 3.5 bay area while also cramming in up to 4 SSDs and 2x HDDs + 2x optical.

Another problem I have with most of Lian-Li's cases is actually the use of 140mm top exhaust fans and non-standard spacing or no room for a radiator. While I understand the idea of using them (more surface area, quieter) it would save me a lot of headache to just have 1x120mm there due to crap fan choices in 140mm flavor.

I know that is a lot to ask in accessories/modularity but that is what I'd like in a $200 budget.

I currently run a Lancool PC-K62W with Swiftech radbox and Swiftech 3x120mm QP, it would be nice to have 2x120 and 2 1x120s internally mounted in a mid tower.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 09-12-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    for my build, I usually use 4 bays max. 2 x SSD and 2 x hdd

Michalius
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Another problem I have with most of Lian-Li's cases is actually the use of 140mm top exhaust fans and non-standard spacing or no room for a radiator. While I understand the idea of using them (more surface area, quieter) it would save me a lot of headache to just have 1x120mm there due to crap fan choices in 140mm flavor.
    This is the major issue I've come across as well. I bought the PC-V700 (which is amazing by the way) in hopes of doing a full loop. If the top 120mm fan mounts were moved just one inch closer to the side panel, there would be plenty enough clearance for any 240mm rad up top. I figured the reason why this wasn't done was to keep it symmetrical, but then I saw the PC-V650, where the top fan is mounted all the way to the motherboard side of the case.

Just offset the top mounts for 120mm fans, and you don't even need to add additional space above the motherboard tray, retaining the fantastic compact designs that Lian Li has.

But to answer the OP question:

I'll gladly pay any price for small-mid tower Lian Li case that is watercooling friendly. So my answer would definitely be for the mid tower, as that's what I did precisely when I bought the V700. I really think the Lian Li strength is in offering unique designs and compact cases that you can't buy from anyone else. If you build a full tower, you have to compete with the likes of the Shinobi XL or Switch 810, and I see no way of Lian Li being able to do that on a price front due to the added expense of aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I'm not sure what the alu equivalent of the Steel PC-K56W is but I'd happily pay $200 for an aluminum version with black interior and 2x120mm or viable 2x140mm top radiator mount and completely removable interior 3.5" HDD cage and 2x 5.25 to 3.5 bay converters + 1x 5.25 to 4x 2.5 converter.

That would allow 2x120mm + 1x120mm + opt 1x120mm radiators while leaving space for a floor mounted pump and res in the 3.5 bay area while also cramming in up to 4 SSDs and 2x HDDs + 2x optical.

I know that is a lot to ask in accessories/modularity but that is what I'd like in a $200 budget.

I currently run a Lancool PC-K62W with Swiftech radbox and Swiftech 3x120mm QP, it would be nice to have 2x120 and 2 1x120s internally mounted in a mid tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michalius View Post
    This is the major issue I've come across as well. I bought the PC-V700 (which is amazing by the way) in hopes of doing a full loop. If the top 120mm fan mounts were moved just one inch closer to the side panel, there would be plenty enough clearance for any 240mm rad up top. I figured the reason why this wasn't done was to keep it symmetrical, but then I saw the PC-V650, where the top fan is mounted all the way to the motherboard side of the case.

Just offset the top mounts for 120mm fans, and you don't even need to add additional space above the motherboard tray, retaining the fantastic compact designs that Lian Li has.

But to answer the OP question:

I'll gladly pay any price for small-mid tower Lian Li case that is watercooling friendly. So my answer would definitely be for the mid tower, as that's what I did precisely when I bought the V700. I really think the Lian Li strength is in offering unique designs and compact cases that you can't buy from anyone else. If you build a full tower, you have to compete with the likes of the Shinobi XL or Switch 810, and I see no way of Lian Li being able to do that on a price front due to the added expense of aluminum.
    The non-standard top fan spacing is something that seems to come up a lot. Definitely something Lian Li should implement on the next generation.

Admin
    I would think $150 - $175 for good mid tower. I have the LIAN LI PC-9F Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case that I bought back in 2010 for $162.00. Now it sells for $120. This has been a perfect case for me. I only used two of the three external drive bays. And six internals are more than enough.

Lian Li - great cases!!
    Last edited by runmc; 09-13-2012 at 03:35 AM.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Got any pics of your G70?
    ahh, maybe but you have to remember that here PC's are "working beasts"
    cases are for protection from something falling on the board so I tend to lose the side covers,ect..
    That G70 was also cut on the inside bottom for a 320 rad way back when.
    Not as pretty as whenh it got here but still IMHO a hell of a design.
    Now here's my new one and yes, under $200.00...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12