Thread: project ::: momentum ::: Cooler Master COSMOS II liquid cooling worklog

project ::: momentum ::: Cooler Master COSMOS II liquid cooling worklog

I've been a keen follower of this forum for a while now and I've always been impressed with the amazing work all of you do with your builds.

This has inspired me to post mine.

I present to you project ::: momentum :::

Why 'momentum', you ask? This is not only the first liquid cooling build I've done, but also the first build I've done in 10 years. In a sense, I hope this build builds considerable momentum - computers have always been a keen passion of mine but I haven't really had sufficient resources to do it. I hope ::: momentum ::: would change this, for the better!

I am definitely more proficient with words than I'm with photos, so I've RyanK, a close friend of mine, who's helping with the photos. All the photos you'll see in this worklog are the result of his very deft ability with the camera. We'll talk more about the photographic equipment used in another post in the near future.

When it comes to expertise with tools, which may be needed depending on the situation, I've another great mate, SamW helping out.

As you can see, I am neither good at photography, nor am I nimble with tools. Now that I've successfully portrayed myself as a totally useless character in our team of three (), here's our first picture:

Speak soon,
    dr-

Xtreme Addict
    Moar pics!

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Moar pics!

-PB
    There will be a further photoshoot on Saturday PB, as it was night when we shot the first load of pictures last Sunday. So, stay tuned!

more photos on the progress coming up!

How has everyone been?

So the Spring weather was really good this weekend, and I probably spent more time outdoors than I really should have

And no, I do not do pom poms in my spare time.

I can almost hear the collective "d'ohs" from all of you, so here's a photo teaser:

There's more images to come, possibly tomorrow or the day after. Stay tuned!

removal of some Cosmos II case parts, plus some of the parts I'm using in the build

Here's an update!

I first removed some parts in the Cooler Master Cosmos II to clear some space for watercooling equipment.

Here's the lower compartment dual 120mm fan holder:

------

And the HDD drive cage with space for three 3.5mm HDDs from the lower portion of the upper compartment's HDD drive bay area which is directly behind the intake 200mm fan in the front of the case which has blue LEDs. Confused yet?

------

My radiator fans. I have had the opportunity to test these fans, and even at 3,000rpm the sound signature is so pleasant! No way I'm going to run them at 3,000rpm of course!

------

Scythe Himuros. I haven't quite decided whether to use them or not in this build, but they could come in handy at some stage.

Beautiful enclosures, aren't they?

------

Till next time,
    dr-

Post spanner in the works!

Hey everyone!

My apologies for the lack of updates - things in the personal space haven't been too ideal, but I have not been slacking around I promise, and work has been ongoing, albeit at a more leisurely pace.

All is on hold now, because of this:

Yep, a screw thread broke in the CPU retention bracket. It is at the fixers now as I type.

However, in fine time travelling tradition, here's what happened up till then...

------

Got myself a Noctua HN-D14 to test the rig first prior to putting it under water. And the next few pictures show dumbo here trying to replace the fans with my Scythe GTs - only to find out that the screw holes are totally enclosed. This meant the supplied fan clips could not be threaded through the fan to be mounted on the heatsink.

There was a lot of cursing that day.

------

Attention then turned to the motherboard. It's the Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi. I was torn between this or the X79-UP4. But the UP5-WiFi had something the UP-4 lacked - a power button on the board. In the interim I was planning to place this rig on my TV console and not in my case, so a power button would be mighty helpful.

In short, I paid $100 more for a power button. Not the most prudent of decision I must add.

However, look at that board. I mean, it's really pretty isn't it?

And the D14 goes on:

------

And I spent the next few weeks enjoying my new rig. I probably spent a bit too much time enjoying it, but it was mighty quiet on air cooling alone. And Team Fortress 2 was just too addictive

Watercooling parts started trickling (pun intended!) in, and the CPU was cleaned for the mounting of the waterblock:

The last photo was the fateful moment before the screw broke (see my first photo). I thought I understood Ikea so much that instructions weren't that important. I have learnt my lesson, I promise. No more shenanigans.

------

And on that rather sad note, that's all I have for now folks! Thanks for tuning in. Leave a comment or question - I'd happy to answer them
    Last edited by dr-; 11-18-2012 at 04:44 PM.