Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Becomes the Most Valuable Public Company Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Hey, if people want to throw away money on such products as "You're all holding it wrong!" (anybody remember that fiasco with the iphone? I bet you do) or paying massively over-inflated prices for something thats built as cheaply and poorly as possible just for a logo then by all means go ahead. Pretty much everyone I know who are techs work for companies like Virgin, are network administrators responsible for the smooth running of large companies IT departs or universities etc. Out of all of those only one has a Apple product, the ipad, and even that she only has because it was given to her.

Perhaps you should verse yourself on a companies track record and familliarise yourself of the components that are used before defending something you clearly know very little about.

I truly hate apple for their patent trolling, and overpriced hardware, but they are not cheaply made. The quality is definately there, and they do have features that PC manufacturers are failing to bring to the market (who the wants a POS 1300x768 resolution on a 15" screen?). The imacs have a nice case and a screen that is unrivaled in the laptop world (heck even desktops are barely catching up to that IPS). They obviously know this as well considering how much they are charging for it, but it's not like there is competition or anything. So hate apple as much as you want, but don't spew BS about bad quality. They are higher quality than 85% of the windows laptops, but cost more than 99% of them.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by stardust8750 View Post
    All this means is that Apple rips its customers off more then any other company.
    I have working i pod, but no software to get, or to install.
    Why they even sell ipod to me, without software.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    sorry duble post, it was lag

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stardust8750 View Post
    All this means is that Apple rips its customers off more then any other company.
    This exactly. Overpriced, under performing products. Dumb Lemmings buying everything and anything apple puts out.
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz| Corsair H100i | MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Edition | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2.4GHZ | eVGA GTX 780 | Creative Sound Blaster ZxR | Samsung 500GB SSD/4TB Storage | LG 14X BLu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX1050 | Corsair Air 540 | Asus VG248QE 144HZ Monitor

Xtreme Addict
    Finally someone caught on to the BS:

In 2010 dollars, Microsoft's $618B USD valuation would be over $820B USD. While inflation data is still being finalized for last year, it would likely be somewhere in the ballpark of $850B USD in today's money (The Columbia Journalism Review says $856B USD in today's money, although it admits to goofing by saying that International Business Machines, Inc. (IBM) in 1967 was the most valuable, failing to realize that the data it was working off of was already adjusted).
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=25475

Also a nice story to end this Apple loving day on a much more honest note:

"The saying goes: Don't with the person that serves your food," a former Apple Genius tells me over IM. "Don't with the person who repairs your computer." He—we'll call him Ronald—spent six years as a member of Apple's Genius squad in a busy Southwestern store. It was a model store: shiny as the best of them, teeming, making money. But in back rooms and in plain sight, the employees ran wild: giving away computers, stealing phones, drunkenly destroying customer property. Ronald saw (and did) it all.
    http://gizmodo.com/5936324/exclusive...ore-in-america
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Member
    Wonder how it compares to the East Indian Company or the VOC in their heyday.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biznatch View Post
    The imacs have a nice case and a screen that is unrivaled in the laptop world (heck even desktops are barely catching up to that IPS).
    I just want to correct you on that one, mobile workstations have 10-bit IPS screens which are better (colour reproduction).
    Phenom II x6 1090T BE|Crosshair IV Formula|Corsair 4x2GB DDR3|Sapphire HD5870|Adaptec 2405 + Hitachi Ultrastar 15k 450GB SAS, Toshiba MBD2147RC 146GB 10k SAS, Samsung F3 1TB, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 5900RPM, WD Black 2TB, Seagate Barracuda ST2000M001 2TB|Asus Xonar Essence ST + HD600|Corsair HX850|HPZR24w|Fractal Define XL Black|Windows 7 X64 Pro
    Backup/Storage server:
    HP Proliant ML350 G4|2 x Xeon "Nocona" 3GHz|4GB DDR1 ECC|Storage (SCSI): 3x10k 72GB + 10k 300GB + 15k 300GB + Ultrium460 tape drive|Storage (SATA): Adaptec 2810SA + 2 x WD Caviar 250GB RAID0 + Seagate 250GB|Windows Server 2008r2 Datacenter
    Other:
    HP Proliant DL380 G5|Xeon 5150|4GB FB DDR2 ECC|HP Smart Array P400-256MB cache|3x10k 146GB SAS in RAID 0 + 10k 146GB SAS|2x800W|ATi FireGL V7700|Samsung 226BW|Windows Server 2008r2 Enterprise
    HP DL320 G5|Xeon 3150 2.13GHz|1GB DDR2 ECC|2x80GB RAID 0|Windows Server 2008r2 Standard
    Laptop:
    HP 8560w|i5-2540M|2x4GB DDR3|AMD FirePro M5950|Samsung 840 Pro 256GB|Windows 7 X64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by repman View Post
    I just want to correct you on that one, mobile workstations have 10-bit IPS screens which are better (colour reproduction).
    Which mobile workstations? There is nothing really mainstream right now, even in workstations, that rivals the displays they are using. The only options I know of to get a similar screen is to pay 1k+ for a dell, or get one of those IPS screens coming out of korea.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HelixPC View Post
    This exactly. Overpriced, under performing products. Dumb Lemmings buying everything and anything apple puts out.
    Sigh, define performance?

We are an apple and HP shop. Are the HPs cheaper, in most cases yes. Are they faster in benchmarks, in most cases yes. Do they perform better, in most cases no. The macs browse the internet, run email, run office, run skype, run adobe, just fine. Once things are fast enough you can't really tell. When it comes to reliability over the lifespan of the laptop the macpros are ahead of the HPs in general. Furthermore outside of really high end workstation laptops the macs are just better built, with better displays, and more comfortable to use. Hell in many cases the macbook pro is a better Windows or linux platform than the HP is.

You might define performance by synthetic benchmarks, FPS in games, and how fast you can run super pi. But when deploying computers to end users performance is how stable they are with the program they need for their work, how usable they are, how much time my techs have to spend fixing them, and how often they break down. It's in these areas apple out performs windows options.

Currently there is a massive amount of money to be made doing contract IT work. Because of boneheaded IT departments that complain about apple and try to keep them out of their shop. Despite apple being used by most college students now and the senior management wanting them. One of my friends makes a killing by offering to support what companies want. They can fire their IT department and get a contractor who will support it and he gets the cash. His entire, rather sucessfull, business exists entirely on putting techs who hate apple out of a job.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by koc View Post
    %99 of the people that i know they use apple products, and they are not stupid at all, and its not the people fault if apple become a monster, its just because there is NO a good Competitor for apple product.
    I used most of the tablets in the market and almost all the Samsung products, and there are one can run smoothly and nicely like iPhone or ipad.
    Not mention the hundred thousands of games the apps.
    I am not calling people idiots, and I know lots of people with great IT knowledge that has Apple products too...
    However in common for for the apple owners with decent IT knowledge, is they use it because it is what was GIVEN to them by their job... I honestly only know one IT shark that uses macbook, Xyala

But I tend to disagree on what you say...
    Laptop; IBM ThinkPad is a highly worthy contestant, X series beat mac in every single way, except monitor if you buy the CHEAP monitor option They are offered in IPS as well.....
    On the phone side; Samsung is a great alternative, no?
    mp3 player, sure the ipod got something...
    ipad is quite a product as well, tablet market I'll give you - Apple got a great headstart, because nobody else realised the market potential
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    All that really proves is that there are more and more idiots in the world. I don't know a single IT tech who will buy Apple products.
    I know a few that would.

Though me I won't buy an apple product at all. Sure if its given to me then yeah I'll use it otherwise, no way.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biznatch View Post
    Which mobile workstations? There is nothing really mainstream right now, even in workstations, that rivals the displays they are using. The only options I know of to get a similar screen is to pay 1k+ for a dell, or get one of those IPS screens coming out of korea.
    HP, and Dell. And it doesn't matter if it's not mainstream (since when are 10-bit displays meant for mainstream?!), my point was that there is better out there.
    Phenom II x6 1090T BE|Crosshair IV Formula|Corsair 4x2GB DDR3|Sapphire HD5870|Adaptec 2405 + Hitachi Ultrastar 15k 450GB SAS, Toshiba MBD2147RC 146GB 10k SAS, Samsung F3 1TB, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 5900RPM, WD Black 2TB, Seagate Barracuda ST2000M001 2TB|Asus Xonar Essence ST + HD600|Corsair HX850|HPZR24w|Fractal Define XL Black|Windows 7 X64 Pro
    Backup/Storage server:
    HP Proliant ML350 G4|2 x Xeon "Nocona" 3GHz|4GB DDR1 ECC|Storage (SCSI): 3x10k 72GB + 10k 300GB + 15k 300GB + Ultrium460 tape drive|Storage (SATA): Adaptec 2810SA + 2 x WD Caviar 250GB RAID0 + Seagate 250GB|Windows Server 2008r2 Datacenter
    Other:
    HP Proliant DL380 G5|Xeon 5150|4GB FB DDR2 ECC|HP Smart Array P400-256MB cache|3x10k 146GB SAS in RAID 0 + 10k 146GB SAS|2x800W|ATi FireGL V7700|Samsung 226BW|Windows Server 2008r2 Enterprise
    HP DL320 G5|Xeon 3150 2.13GHz|1GB DDR2 ECC|2x80GB RAID 0|Windows Server 2008r2 Standard
    Laptop:
    HP 8560w|i5-2540M|2x4GB DDR3|AMD FirePro M5950|Samsung 840 Pro 256GB|Windows 7 X64 Pro

There are excellent reasons to use an Apple, here are some from a software guy’s POV:

If you are a programmer,

1. You can develop enterprise level UNIX applications using vi editor on the almost totally POSIX compliant Apple shell and have them ready to be deployed to a mainframe Sun SPARC or an IBM zEnterprise System with NO code change.

2. You can boot into Microsoft 7 Professional running Visual Studio.NET and SQL Server and write code for a PeopleSoft module.

3. You can be running Oracle 11i and write an enterprise level JSQL procedure.

4. Develop an iPhone app, Android app or Windows phone app.

All of the above on ONE fully supported legitimate commercial base without remotely accessing another system.

Yes, you can have your Linux, virtual machines and emulators and even a Yeeloong , but try setting up 1, 2, 3, 4 without breaking a sweat.

I am sure that Sys Admins and DBA's also have something to say about multi-platform advantages.

xtreme energy
    xytrius, why do you need Mac for 1.-3.? You know that you can do the same without it As for Iphone apps, yea, Apple is kinda forcing you to buy it because they do not support Iphone app development on other platforms.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    xytrius, why do you need Mac for 1.-3.? You know that you can do the same without it As for Iphone apps, yea, Apple is kinda forcing you to buy it because they do not support Iphone app development on other platforms.
    create a vm mac os....problem solved. esxi gives great performance with vm's.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Northeast Ohio, Where the weather changes every 30 min...
    You don't need a Mac for 1-3, but you can do all three on the same OS.

In college when I was working with OpenGL development I found it much easier to test code on my Mac. Everything up to OpenGL 2.1 was readily available, but when I ported code to Windows to test on my desktop there was a bunch of other stuff to worry about. I actually would have preferred to have a faster graphics card for the Mac because it would have made everything much easier.
    Not much to say right now.

xtreme energy
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    create a vm mac os....problem solved. esxi gives great performance with vm's.
    Sure but the last time I checked this was violating Apple's license agreement. You can run one copy of the OS X on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. Maybe things have changed since the release of "Mountain Lion" but I doubt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12