Thread: After a Awesome Vacation thinking about moving to the US

After a Awesome Vacation thinking about moving to the US

Good Morning all,

After a awesome vacation to the US, we're thinking about moving to the US.
    So we did a bit of research and the easiest way would be to find a job... and so the question is...

Does someone have a job for me?

IT related would ofcourse be the best

Hope someone has either ideas about finding a job or maybe does have one for me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Edit: Just found your thread

Where do you plan on staying while your working (friends/ family)?
    Any particular state you have in mind and why ?
    What type of climate do you prefer?
    Do you plan on getting a car so you can commute or do you want to ride a bicycle/ scooter/ motorcycle?
    Do you plan on buying a house or renting a house/ apt?

All I can say is that there are a lot of IT jobs in California (at least in SoCal, cannot speak for NorCal). Of all my ex co-workers, the last one of us just started his career last week. The rest of us started our IT careers about a year ago. ($20 to $30/hr)
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 08-20-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Hi thanks for the quick response,

The plan is to stay in a rental home or buy one if its possible, and to get a car ofcourse , the state doesn't matter that much at this point. I did like California when i was there .

Are the jobs mostely software related or also hardware/networking or custommer support.
    The job i have at this point is to fix computers either on the spot or at the company's tech desk. And also custommer related
    because i have to support them when something doesn't work and explain how certain functions work.
    Mostely work from 40 to 60+ hours depending on the need, sometimes 7 days a week.

What do you mean by climate?

greets
    Last edited by FaYt; 08-20-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    How long were you in the US for ?

There's a big difference between enjoying a nice long holiday and living there. Usually need to spend atleast 6 months or so first.

Yeah i know there's a big difference between vacation time and living working.
    But still wanna go there and see if we can make a living in the US.
    We were already thinking about moving before our vacation and this just was the turning point to say lets try it ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quick response while I am studying up on Guild Wars 2.

Our jobs were all hardware/networking/ computer related.
    We all 40hours a week, Monday through Friday and overtime if needed.

By climate, I mean do you like dry or humid areas? Do you like the Sun or do you like rain?

I'm originally from Spokane, WA and I moved to California about 7.5years ago. I love it here! The cars, the weather and the people.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2

I'm from holland so i'm used to the rain :P but i do love the climate in California real nice and warm so thats no problem.
    Love to work in shorts :P instead of long and heavy and warm jeans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There is a phrase in the US, "California casual".

Most career oriented businesses in California allow shorts, flip flops, etc etc. It really is pretty casual.

Thats just awesome.
    Here i am wearing protective shoes in case a pc falls on my feet ....and clothes that looks like i'm gonna go into freezing weather while its 30celsius....

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    There is a phrase in the US, "California casual".

Most career oriented businesses in California allow shorts, flip flops, etc etc. It really is pretty casual.
    Thats pretty much true for many places.

CA's weather is pretty nice also. Sure we get a few days/weeks of hot weather in the summer and mild winters. That really depends on where you want to live. But over all the weather is mild. Where I am at in the Central Valley I can be on the Coast or high up in the moutians in a few hours. Down south LA area thats also true but in addition you also have the desert near by.

We do not get the extreme weathers like the rest of the country seems to.

Taxes and the price of gas are high here tho

Well if u compare the taxes and gas prices to my country.... u guys would laugh at yours :P its so expensive here its 1 liter of gas for €1.82 and the taxes on food etc. are 21% so...
    freaking expansive :P

And the weather sucks.. its either to cold or to hot (and when it gets hot its to moist..)

At this point i'm looking in to making my resume... it's a bit different then i'm used to

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by FaYt View Post
    Well if u compare the taxes and gas prices to my country.... u guys would laugh at yours :P its so expensive here its 1 liter of gas for €1.82 and the taxes on food etc. are 21% so...
    freaking expansive :P

And the weather sucks.. its either to cold or to hot (and when it gets hot its to moist..)
    Well, if you're ok with crap weather, Texas will fix everything else on your list.

One of the largest IT states, second only to California, and not by as much as you might think...
    Some of the cheapest gas in the country. ($3.32/gallon at last fill up)
    Cheapest land in the country (and consequently housing is cheap - rent or buy)
    Sales tax, 7%. Income Tax, 0%. But there is a property tax to be aware of...

And actually mid texas weather isn't too bad. Austin is actually pretty nice most of the year. Houston is WAY too humid, but lots of IT. Dallas has "cold" winters and you have to deal with people who can't drive on ice, but really, it's not that cold and there's lots of IT. San Antonio is actually pretty nice too (for the parts of the year I've been there) but doesn't have many IT jobs to my knowledge. El Paso... is pretty much New Mexico, so look at their weather - hot but dry, and don't know about jobs.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

I thought Texas was always hot... sometimes a decent rain and the rest of the year hot

Xtreme Cruncher
    Texas is HUGE so while generally hot all areas are not the same.
    I lived in San Antonio for a couple of years and while it's not typically a tech hotspot I moved there to take a 2 year contract with USAA doing some sftw dev back in the late 90s. That cemented my switch from boring manufacturing planning (it wasn't really that bad) to IT It was quite hot in the summer and never really got cold even in mid winter, I have a pic of me stringing xmas lights outside in shorts

Haha thats sweet , yeah hope to sell my house here in the Netherlands asap and move over to the US (don't yet know where, just somewhere where its warm ) and get a job

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Crash View Post
    Texas is HUGE so while generally hot all areas are not the same.
    I lived in San Antonio for a couple of years and while it's not typically a tech hotspot I moved there to take a 2 year contract with USAA doing some sftw dev back in the late 90s. That cemented my switch from boring manufacturing planning (it wasn't really that bad) to IT It was quite hot in the summer and never really got cold even in mid winter, I have a pic of me stringing xmas lights outside in shorts
    Last Christmas it was warm enough to go swimming in Houston... but two years before, it snowed! So it varries. Never gets the bitter cold of up North, or parts of Europe, but most winters you need a half decent jacket no matter where you are in Texas.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

But whith snow.. you have a nice christmas ...

Xtreme Addict
    Dallas is a pretty good tech hotspot. However I have to admit the west cost weather is much nicer. Up here in north texas we get super hot summers, and damn cold winters.
    Last edited by CrazyNutz; 08-31-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Addict
    Join me in Minnesota, we can do some subzero benching on air 5 months of the year! :p

i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Don't forget to tell him about your President, and your health care, and that if his dog poo's on your lawn without your written consent, then he will be sued! There are parts of CANADA that are further south than the state of Washington, that get less snow. We have great healthcare, a Prime minister, and If your dog poo's on my lawn, we can drink a beer and watch our kids clean it up, and Yes we have Igloo's, why, Because I AM CANADIAN!
    i7-4770k|Asus Maximus VI Formula|16gb G.skill Ripjaws|Swiftech Apogee XT|Swiftech MCR320QP|EK X3 250 Reservoir|EK DCP4.0 pump| Evga GTX760 FTW 4gb w/EK WB

Xtreme Addict
    Another victim of media sensationalism ^^^ This cracks me up
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Hahaha, well whoever gets me a job i join right in , and i do have a dog :P but its a small dog so no big poo issues

and Tool_462 are those temps in minus not plus..? thats sick...
    Last edited by FaYt; 09-01-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Insane over here....taxe raise 21 % over everything.. it was 19% (on food it is 6%)