Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Areca 1882ix-12 4G

Xtreme Guru
    You certainly cant go wrong with the Areca
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Member
    computurd,

You have been giving it some very good write-up's which is what made me think that this would be the better way in the long run, and if I get ver 3, I can take it to the next workstation - if they don't change the slots by then ;-)
    knowing my luck ;-)

thanks
    Henrik

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilenvidia View Post
    Hi guys,

Xmas just came early and I recieved today a very nice package from "terasphere" which is the selling on eBay in the link above

FYI: Just wanted to add that it was a pleasure to deal with terasphere, communication was quick and informative, package was well packed, and it was delivered quickly across the world (US to AUS)

I got an Areca 1882ix-24 Ver:3.0 with 4GB cache module and BBU - very excited ;-) haven't installed it

Does anyone need any photos of any of this before i install it - I believe that computurd, have covered it extremely well already

Now, I just need some hints as how to set this up the best way ;-) please, thanks

Henrik
    Last edited by tived; 09-07-2012 at 01:21 AM.

silver wall jumper X
    Quote Originally Posted by tived View Post
    Hi guys,

Xmas just came early ......

Now, I just need some hints as how to set this up the best way ;-) please, thanks

Henrik
    Setup best way for what purpose? Be glad to help - but there are so many options in the settings to optimze for!

Xtreme Member
    Hi Mike,

thanks very much for taking the time.

Purpose!!! I use this workstation for photo editing, in partiucalar panoramic image, comprised of a few images to several hundreds, most files are in the 20mb to 100mb, with some small sidecar files (xmp), to end up as multi gigabyte file sizes but so far not over 20GB

My philosophy so far is that i need a three step storage solution + backup, which comprises of an OS array(4xSSD), for OS and applications, then an array(8xSSD) for temp/scratch file as well as any page-file, and finally an array(8xHDD) where i store my data on.

The way I see how the data travels in the system is that i load files onto a Storage(array), I then load the images into my program (PHOTOSHOP/BRIDGE, PTGUI, AUTOPANO,etc..) FIRST FOR A RAW TO TIFF CONVERSION (16-BIT), then these get rendered by the PANO program, which both are multi-core aware, in the this process, despite my 48-96GB of ram uses a lot of temp space (currently have 8-900gb (8x120gb)), it then gets saved back to the storage array.

up till recently i use the setup in my sig, but i have since added the Areca 1882ix 24ch to the mix, as i felt i wasn't getting enough throughput on my two IBM M1015 controllers - I admit I could have been getting all this wrong, which is why i am asking for some help here.

The options i have at the moment, is that i have the onboard intel controller but its only SATA-2 and I think is limiting my 4xINTEL 520's, i have the two IBM M1015 8x and the Areca 1882ix 24x. all up i have 12x INTEL 520 120GB, but could add more and i have 8x seagate sv35 which was the wrong drives to buy!!!

i look at the performance that others are getting and i am scratching my soon to be bald head for why i can't get similar results? So i am wondering what i am doing wrong here, i have been reading COMPUTURD's (Paul) articles and how he is getting 1.5GB/s on just 3 INTEL 520 on the Highpoint, surely my ARECA should be able to perform better then it. ????

I really appreciate any help - sorry if i have hi-jacked this thread, its somehow related to the Areca 1882ix Ver 3 ;-)

thanks

Henrik
    Henrik
    A Dane Down Under

Current systems:
    EVGA Classified SR-2
    Lian Li PC-V2120 Black, Antec 1200 PSU,
    2x X5650 (20x 190 APPROX 4.2GHZ), CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    (48gb) 6x 8Gb Kingston ECC 1333 KVR1333D3D4R9S/8GI, Boot: 8R0 SAMSUNG 830 129GB ARECA 1882IX-4GB CACHE - Scratch disk: 2x6R0 INTEL 520 120GB's, 2x IBM M1015/LSI 9240-8i, Asus GTX-580

ASUS P5W64 WS PRO, QX-6700 (Extreme Quadcore) 2.66Ghz, 4x2GB HyberX, various hard drives and GT-7600

Tyan S2895 K8WE 2x 285 Opteron's 8x 2gb DDR400 1x nVidia GT-8800 2x 1 TB Samsung F1 (not very nice) Chenbro SR-107 case

Monitors: NEC 2690v2 & Dell 2405 & 2x ASUS VE246H

The new Raid Monster King

Would you believe this?

http://www.areca.us/support/download...og20130614.pdf

The Super Saiyajin raid card

Areca 1883ix-xx ports.
    Dual core Arm cpu at 1200Mhz
    Upgradable up to 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz
    12Gb/s SAS drives.
    Thanks Areca, our wishes were listened eheh. 8GB cache Jesus Lord.

I am Xtreme
    Good find! Availability??

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    Good find! Availability??

I don't know. Maybe at the end of this year or January.
    What kind of Arm cpu would be available? Whatever, it will run the same kernell compiler as the the previous ones.
    I was interested on the 1224i-8 for sata ssd but when I discovered this pdf...upgradable up to 8GB Jesus Lord...I think I will wait a bit to see some reviews of this super saiyajin card lol

I am Xtreme
    ^^ i need to start saving my pennies!

Heheh. I need to another 1000-1200? card with 8GB olympic pool cache, all the OS system running on buffer and cache.
    That's we geek benchmarkers love to use...even LSI 93xx can't be compared to this...

Xtreme Member
    Not trying to sound nitwitted or na?ve...but is the controller cache (RAM) non-volatile in any way, on this new controller?
    I really dig these hardware solutions, but a non-volatile cache would make the product a lot better for end-users i think (yes, i know these products aren't intentionally developed for this market).
    Non-volatile cache would allow for any file usage analysation to take place on a much better and more refined scale (assuming you don't just want to keep your system up and running for at least a whole month etc. etc.).
    Da_maniaC's Rig (Eclipse) | Client / Server port for DooM!

Quote Originally Posted by Da_maniaC View Post
    Not trying to sound nitwitted or na?ve...but is the controller cache (RAM) non-volatile in any way, on this new controller?
    I really dig these hardware solutions, but a non-volatile cache would make the product a lot better for end-users i think (yes, i know these products aren't intentionally developed for this market).
    Non-volatile cache would allow for any file usage analysation to take place on a much better and more refined scale (assuming you don't just want to keep your system up and running for at least a whole month etc. etc.).
    Yes, you are right. I have a adaptec series 6 with ZMM (zero maintenance module) wich consists on 4GB SLC nand flash to protect the 512mb ddr2 controller cache and this approach is really good. No worries, charge in minutes, always ready to protect.
    For me, the only con of areca is that they only offer traditional battery protection instead of flash based.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12