Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OBR source:"Why are Gigabyte boards worst ocers then other?"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    sorry but i think everybody here missing the point. first question everybody should ask here is "if intel has a spec of 43 capacitors why gigabyte doesnt obey this spec? especially while as everybody said that components are dirty cheap for them.". yes article is aiming us to gigabyte cant overclock well idea which is completely wrong but come on this OBR leave that not fact silly ideas to them. But question still stays we should get a logical answer. "if intel has a spec of 43 capacitors why gigabyte doesnt obey this spec? especially while as everybody said that components are dirty cheap for them."
    Yeah, I like my overclocking boards to follow Intel spec as closely as possible. That's why I only bench and overclock with

Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Kromosto,

The spec does not state 43 caps, rather a nominal resistance/capacitance value as a guide not a hard set rule. It is up to the builders to design to spec or improve/tweak as they see fit. Some could argue that a 4 phase VR is just as good as a 24 phase VR, it is how the builder implements the design.

Attachment 129340
    ok example is hitting the bullseye . so that part is a lie too.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    I think that the one thing that can be concluded from this thread is that you get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap board, you may not only get fewer features, but less overall quality (inferior design, poorer quality capacitors, etc). A more expensive board may cost more, but should be better quality. Folks should keep that fact in mind when buying a board and not make a decision based solely on a board's feature set.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    Yeah, I like my overclocking boards to follow Intel spec as closely as possible. That's why I only bench and overclock with

you like that skull arent you . dont get me wrong following intel specs is not important to me but if there is a spec (and Fugger said there is no spec like this so not for this example) i expect them to make it the minimum or if they lower the for example capacitor numbers then the spec for a reason then i want to learn that reason

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hell with Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or ASRock. EVGA and Intel boards forever, if there is spec then Intel will make board to that spec and it will work flawlessly, if some intel's board have got bad overclocking options then just buying EVGA will fix it.

Cheap boards are ment only for normal usage or minimal overclocking or not for heavy overclocking atall so its understandable that it might be missing few caps here and there, but i dont need worry since im not buying any low end crap.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rintamarotta View Post
    Hell with Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or ASRock. EVGA and Intel boards forever, if there is spec then Intel will make board to that spec and it will work flawlessly, if some intel's board have got bad overclocking options then just buying EVGA will fix it.

Cheap boards are ment only for normal usage or minimal overclocking or not for heavy overclocking atall so its understandable that it might be missing few caps here and there, but i dont need worry since im not buying any low end crap.
    I think the high-end versions of the boards made by most manufacturers are good. The Asus ROG and WS category boards are examples of this. It's when you get into the barebones boards with little to no features that are meant to hit a budget price point that corners begin to get cut. I'd surmise that the point at which corners begin to get cut varies by manufacturer, but it no doubt happens.

My $0.02...
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Xtreme Legend
    Hey Splave why would I take anything that OBR copies and pastes from a marketing slide seriously. I see that even on XS though are some gullible types, it's sorta funny

I cant speak for Gigabyte but I simply see this as a compliment, when your competitor feels the need to superficially attack you to score some points with the masses. People aren't stupid and this sort of thing never works because its BS but keep at it if you feel it helps you I say. Remember that everyone compares themselves to the top players..... Btw this is part of a much bigger slide that we've seen before Computex and even respectable employees of this competitor of ours were apologetic for these moronic PPTs they must be feeling the heat in that region

GUYS GO BACK TO POST#75 THAT FUGGER WROTE, intel sets a nominal capacitance value guideline and not the amount of capacitors

Thanks for clearing that up FUGGER!
    Last edited by dinos22; 08-16-2012 at 02:19 AM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

PI in the face
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    Hey Splave why would I take anything that OBR copies and pastes from a marketing slide seriously. I see that even on XS though are some gullible types, it's sorta funny

I cant speak for Gigabyte but I simply see this as a compliment, when your competitor feels the need to superficially attack you to score some points with the masses. People aren't stupid and this sort of thing never works because its BS but keep at it if you feel it helps you I say. Remember that everyone compares themselves to the top players..... Btw this is part of a much bigger slide that we've seen before Computex and even respectable employees of this competitor of ours were apologetic for these moronic PPTs they must be feeling the heat in that region

GUYS GO BACK TO POST#75 THAT FUGGER WROTE, intel sets a nominal capacitance value guideline and not the amount of capacitors

Thanks for clearing that up FUGGER!
    /thread :P that wasnt too hard was it! lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Addict
    The amount of components just means the Asus boards are less efficient IMHO. The amount of caps mean next to nothing, the magic is all in the circuit design. Some would argue that better designs need fewer components. (and before any flaming - I run a ROG board currently, but have also had DQ6 boards).
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Addict
    yawn all mb's suck never seen one i could not kill.
    dont matter the price or brand

Xtreme Addict
    There are currently 170 S1155 boards listed on the Gigabyte website, even if some of them would not be too suitable for oc'ing but are rather just designed to work fine at stock, who cares? plenty of other models to choose from.

Xtreme Member
    The questions still remains and no-one has given a valid explanation:
    Why is Gigabyte's design inferior to Intel Specification ???

A good manufacture creates a motherboard that meets the specifications, and then improves it. Gigabyte has Degraded the Design.
    -------
    Also my personal experience with Gigabyte, are that they reset the smallest overclocks (+5%) on Cold boot, and are unable to run some Linux OS's, never had any of such problems with ASUS.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_chill View Post

A good manufacture creates a motherboard that meets the specifications, and then improves it. Gigabyte has Degraded the Design.
    -------
    Also my personal experience with Gigabyte, are that they reset the smallest overclocks (+5%) on Cold boot, and are unable to run some Linux OS's, never had any of such problems with ASUS.
    I am confident that they have tested it, and evalutated that it wasnt needed, that there was no benefit.... Maybe I am just naive but I believe they (R&D) know exactly what they are doing, and I do not think this is to save a few cents, then it would not be applied to the UD series, but only D.....

But I am biased on this one, and dino would normally say "Marc you are talking out of your arse again!"
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

PI in the face
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

NooB MOD
    FUGGER has given a valid explanation, read more and post less
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_chill View Post

-------
    it isn't inferior in any way. It just used different way of decoupling the output. Power doesn't have to go through the capacitors to get to the CPU, the capacitors just have 1 leg in between the inductor and the CPU, and the other to the ground so that they can store energy for when it is needed. The inductors along with the capacitor bank create the output filter which job is to provide a steady stream of power to the CPU. The purpose of the output capacitor bank which are made of the can-type and the MLCC, which are being discussed, is to source and sink the output, so that if you take a 100A load step and the inductors cannot respond quick enough then the capacitors provide all the power for the transient. However during this discharge you have to make sure that the voltage drop isn't significant to deviate away from what you want. Thus you need high and low frequency decoupling, the low frequency is usually done by the can-types and the high frequency by the MLCC. The ESR of the can-types is important as is the ESL of the MLCC, however if you have very good capacitors then I could possibly see the need for some of the MLCC to go away.

Using higher quality MLCC could also reduce component count.

If GIGABYTE's design was inferior how come their LLC is so dead on? measure with a DMM, as the UD5H has points for and see for yourself. During a large load the voltage would drop significant if the CPU couldn't handle it.

I am Xtreme
    Do you guys have the Intel CPU power design guide for IB?

Xtreme Addict
    Intel does make their boards to spec and their boards are traditionally very solid and durable, with good quality parts. Their boards function well at spec and have a decent amount of headroom above the spec. Where Intel is less than ideal, is in designs that exceed the spec by an excessive amount. Many heavy duty, high end motherboards (for all manufacturers) would be considered extremely overbuilt for operation at spec. Instead, they are built for the rigors of extreme overclocking (a la LN2) in mind and are the most desirable parts, IMHO... They can take whatever is thrown at them with no issue, and their individual components end up being worked less hard when they are run at spec (which is much less than that which they are built for). Stressing components less is good for their life expectancy and makes them more reliable in the long run.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    lol surely there must be more to this, maybe sin0822 will chime in
    fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    it isn't inferior in any way. It just used different way of decoupling the output. Power doesn't have to go through the capacitors to get to the CPU, the capacitors just have 1 leg in between the inductor and the CPU, and the other to the ground so that they can store energy for when it is needed. The inductors along with the capacitor bank create the output filter which job is to provide a steady stream of power to the CPU. The purpose of the output capacitor bank which are made of the can-type and the MLCC, which are being discussed, is to source and sink the output, so that if you take a 100A load step and the inductors cannot respond quick enough then the capacitors provide all the power for the transient. However during this discharge you have to make sure that the voltage drop isn't significant to deviate away from what you want. Thus you need high and low frequency decoupling, the low frequency is usually done by the can-types and the high frequency by the MLCC. The ESR of the can-types is important as is the ESL of the MLCC, however if you have very good capacitors then I could possibly see the need for some of the MLCC to go away.

If GIGABYTE's design was inferior how come their LLC is so dead on? measure with a DMM, as the UD5H has points for and see for yourself. During a large load the voltage would drop significant if the CPU couldn't handle it.
    Thank you for this. It seems some people have forgotten the function of a capacitor.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post
    Intel does make their boards to spec and their boards are traditionally very solid and durable, with good quality parts. Their boards function well at spec and have a decent amount of headroom above the spec. Where Intel is less than ideal, is in designs that exceed the spec by an excessive amount. Many heavy duty, high end motherboards (for all manufacturers) would be considered extremely overbuilt for operation at spec. Instead, they are built for the rigors of extreme overclocking (a la LN2) in mind and are the most desirable parts, IMHO... They can take whatever is thrown at them with no issue, and their individual components end up being worked less hard when they are run at spec (which is much less than that which they are built for). Stressing components less is good for their life expectancy and makes them more reliable in the long run.
    Malarky. Intel boards are great. Granted, they aren't really made to be OC'd, but for a board you plan to run 24/7 for years on end they do better than the competition. They aren't really making boards for people here. Intel is making workstation boards and tossing in some OC features and other stuff to make them a viable desktop purchase.

You could lob the same comment at Tyan and Supermicro, both of which make incredible products as well. Intel's "extreme" boards just seem to blur the line.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    ^nice gents
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post

Yeah no kidding.. my asus board (p8p67 pro) has a disgusting ability to control CPU vcore (ie: it sucks).

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Malarky. Intel boards are great. Granted, they aren't really made to be OC'd, but for a board you plan to run 24/7 for years on end they do better than the competition. They aren't really making boards for people here. Intel is making workstation boards and tossing in some OC features and other stuff to make them a viable desktop purchase.

You could lob the same comment at Tyan and Supermicro, both of which make incredible products as well. Intel's "extreme" boards just seem to blur the line.
    Did I not say that? What specific thing that I said can be classed as "Malarky"? I said that Intel's boards are very solid and durable for operation at spec, but they aren't overbuilt to the extent that the heavy duty boards from many major manufacturers are.

A heavy duty, overbuilt motherboard will do just as well as an Intel board when operating at spec, but since it's overbuilt (a greater number of better quality capacitors, stronger power regulation, etc) it's often superior. Mid and lower range boards definitely don't apply and are often inferior to Intel's boards as the manufacturer strives to maintain the maximum amount of features while hitting a low price point and often compromises are made to do this. I'd imagine that Intel's Extreme series boards probably go beyond spec a fair bit to ensure reliability in an environment where some overclocking (and hence greater stress) is expected, but I doubt they are as robust as an Asus Rampage IV Extreme or an EVGA X79 FTW. Intel's workstation and enterprise boards go beyond their standard desktop boards and the base spec for such boards should be significantly higher than that of a regular desktop board to ensure total reliability in all conditions.

Xtreme Member
    why is an OBR thread still being discussed?

dont we have something better to do like sit in a corner and watch paint dry? I felt dirty just clicking the link man.

all boards as of recent overclock very close to the same and even on extreme overclocks the difference is marginal here. of course some have features or settings to make clocking easier but hell all of them can still do it.

I have used ASUS, MSI Gigabyte and even biostar man.... all of them can clock and lets face it if the board is 130-150 bucks likelihood of us strapping it to a test bench (except for the morbid curiosity or the "lets see what happens" factor)

Otherwise we all have our brand of choice for one or many reasons...

I like gigabyte boards because they feel solid as hell and are generally stable but the bios has been buggy at times for me.

I like asus because I think at this time they have a solid feature set and a even more solid BIOS.

I like Biostar because its cheap and just works every time I power it on and I can build for my parents without worry of post loops.

I like MSI cause I love military *pew pew* haha

seriously can we all stop bickering like little pansies and agree that every board can have issues and probably does if you look hard enough.

My rule is if it powers on and works as expected at stock then you got what you paid for....

NO overclock is guaranteed. Overclocking used to be a skillful thing you had to figure out to do it let alone be good at it... now taht overclocking is easier everyone es and moans unless the board jumps outta the box preps itself and clocks to a world record all while making them a sandwich...

ok i want a sandwich now..... DAMN YOU maximus V Gene why you no make me sammich?!?!?!

if you still feel like ing in this thread please just shut down your computer and walk away.
    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast