Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OBR source:"Why are Gigabyte boards worst ocers then other?"

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    Fact #6 Don't put down a vendor who is trying to an actually improving their VRM quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or else you will praise one who tries to cheat you, such as ASRock, and then you will get boards like the Z77 Extreme4 which has D-PAK MOSFETs, if that is what you want then continue on with biased unfounded generalizations. Then you got ASRock advertising an Intersil ISL6367 as a Digital PWM, they are also advertising STMicro PWm as Digital as well, there is just no line for asrock to cross as they have crossed so much of it. Anyways that should be news not this BS> ASRock has more moeny to throw around tho to keep people's mouths shut.
    Not sure about the american prices, but in Denmark, you cannot get any Z77 UD boards from Gigabyte, at the price of an Extreme4.... And personally I would never go that cheap for anything of which I plan to OC.
    UD3H is about same price as Extreme6 here.... Both are by my book, the very entry of boards for OC.

Fact #7: I have compared all the VRMs on every motherboard right here, hours and hours of research, I ask vendors to come forth and dispute:
    http://sinhardware.com/images/vrm.jpg if something is wrong please let me know. But you can clearly see that GIGABYTe started using very high quality stuff lately.

I will admit that the first round of GIGABYTE X79 boards weren't the same quality as these new Z77 boards, GIGABYTE's Z77 have the frequency WR for a reason. I have many Z77 boards, almost all of the giga lineup I also have boards from evga and asus, all top of the line. They are all high quality, but you cannot say the gigabyte is lower in quality, especially when a 6-phase VRM on the UD3H kicks ass. GIGABYTE Z77 is very sound with the hardware, GB prob just stopped supporting OBR, and so he turns on them to attack back until they support him again. That is how it goes in this world, i really hate it too. If you have far enough reach companies become scared of you.

EVERY VRM is different, there is different amount of copper in GB's PCBs compared to others they use different chokes and different MOSFETs as well as different PWM. Then you also have the fact that they DO USE a lot of MLCC, just in the socket are populated first before those under the socket.

ASRock is crap. Also 7GHz doesn't mean anything Dan, everyone can hit 7G, it is those few mhz above which are hard to hit.

Yea i am defending GB, because in this case, this marketing crap from ASUS or ASRock(possibly ASRock adapted it from ASUS, we will see if we see the same slides come up on other sites). Someone needs to defend their quality as they really do put a lot of it in, anyone who should take any crap for quality is ASRock.

EDIT;
    I usually have faith that price and quality is related, with exceptions obviously...
    Last edited by M.Beier; 08-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

PI in the face
    dinos gtf in here man!
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea deluxe View Post
    this is a big fail in a z77 giga....

UNACCEPTABLE

do not have any sense... to have half phases cooled and the other run hot like hell!!!
    I HAVE a UD3, and have loaded those vrms for hours and hours while watching temps of the unsinked chips. If slightly above ambient temps is too hot, then I dont know what else to say. They simply do not "run hot like hell." Im farily confident that you can run without the heatsink on the rest of the vrm at all and it would be fine under almost any condition. Im about 99% sure this test has been done several times with the same results.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    I HAVE a UD3, and have loaded those vrms for hours and hours while watching temps of the unsinked chips. If slightly above ambient temps is too hot, then I dont know what else to say. They simply do not "run hot like hell." Im farily confident that you can run without the heatsink on the rest of the vrm at all and it would be fine under almost any condition. Im about 99% sure this test has been done several times with the same results.
    ok but in my mind a bord half heatsinked have no sense

For the low end boards, the average non OC customer will see no/zero difference in performance or longevity in the budget board that is built to spec to work as intended. The performance will match the most expensive boards at stock speed.

Gigabyte is not guilty of anything shady.

I do see this is about OC, so lets pick at the budget boards for not being high end boards... wtf did i just make sense?
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 08-15-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And at what voltage/ frecuency?
    Anyway you put it looks bad, what's the cost of that type of heatsink - 0.50-1$ from 159$....It's just nonsens.
    For the low end boards, the average non OC customer will see no/zero difference in performance
    These low end boards wil be all H67/H61/B75....
    P67/Z68/Z77 should be considered at any price for some kind of overclocking .
    So cutting quality from low Z68/Z77 motheboards it's lame.( here i include heatsinks for VRM, cpu power conectors, and capacitors for socket if it is true).
    Last edited by xdan; 08-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    i5 2500K@ 4.5Ghz
    Asrock P67 PRO3

P55 PRO & i5 750
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=966385
    239 BCKL validation on cold air
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=966536
    Almost 5hgz , air.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this is a big fail in a z77 giga....

UNACCEPTABLE

do not have any sense... to have half phases cooled and the other run hot like hell!!!
    You are aware ASUS and others do the same exact thing? Gigabyte is hardly the only one that leaves off the top section.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/p..._p8z77v_le.jpg
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme 3D Team
    Okay well how about some facts?????????

Fact #1: Yes, I like GIGABYTE, but I also have a lot of respect for ASUS products, a lot, just no respect for a lot of the people who work for ASUS. I have respect for any good hardware and BIOS.

Fact #2: I have the original ASUS presentation, it is laughable.

Fact #3: GIGABYTE's Ultra Durable 5 really is one of a kind, Anyone wants to fight this please explain your case.

Fact #4 MLCCs are EXTREMELY CHEAP: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...5-2-ND/2050024 Unit price in USD if someone buy 15,000 which is the lowest amount, the total per unit MLCC is $0.004 that means that if GIGABYTE were to fill all of their bottom capacitors on the bottom of the Z77X-UD5H and Z77X-UD3H it woudl be around 20 pieces. How about more facts, 20x0.004 is $0.08 OR 8(Eight)(Ocho) CENTS!!!! In Canada you can't even buy 20 of them, as Canada just did away with their penny and we are talking pennies. Now $0.004 per unit is the most expensive in the list in my link, if you buy more which a company like GIGABYTE who actually makes their own boards would, then they would cost significantly less, also this is a product sold in the US while the capacitors are prob made in Asia and cost less there.

Fact #5: Right now as we speak GIGABYTE has the frequency WR with a 6-Phase Z77X-UD3H, right here is the 3770K Frequency WORLD RECORD: http://hwbot.org/submission/2289196_...0k_7089.33_mhz They also have the 3570K WR right here on the Z77X-UP5 TH: http://hwbot.org/submission/2302977_...0k_6894.85_mhz. Guess those tiny high frequency capacitors don't make a difference?

Fact #6 Don't put down a vendor who is trying to an actually improving their VRM quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or else you will praise one who tries to cheat you, such as ASRock, and then you will get boards like the Z77 Extreme4 which has D-PAK MOSFETs, if that is what you want then continue on with biased unfounded generalizations. Then you got ASRock advertising an Intersil ISL6367 as a Digital PWM, they are also advertising STMicro PWm as Digital as well, there is just no line for asrock to cross as they have crossed so much of it. Anyways that should be news not this BS> ASRock has more moeny to throw around tho to keep people's mouths shut.

Fact #7: I have compared all the VRMs on every motherboard right here, hours and hours of research, I ask vendors to come forth and dispute:
    http://sinhardware.com/images/vrm.jpg if something is wrong please let me know. But you can clearly see that GIGABYTe started using very high quality stuff lately.

I will admit that the first round of GIGABYTE X79 boards weren't the same quality as these new Z77 boards, GIGABYTE's Z77 have the frequency WR for a reason. I have many Z77 boards, almost all of the giga lineup I also have boards from evga and asus, all top of the line. They are all high quality, but you cannot say the gigabyte is lower in quality, especially when a 6-phase VRM on the UD3H kicks ass. GIGABYTE Z77 is very sound with the hardware, GB prob just stopped supporting OBR, and so he turns on them to attack back until they support him again. That is how it goes in this world, i really hate it too. If you have far enough reach companies become scared of you.

EVERY VRM is different, there is different amount of copper in GB's PCBs compared to others they use different chokes and different MOSFETs as well as different PWM. Then you also have the fact that they DO USE a lot of MLCC, just in the socket are populated first before those under the socket.

ASRock is crap. Also 7GHz doesn't mean anything Dan, everyone can hit 7G, it is those few mhz above which are hard to hit.

Yea i am defending GB, because in this case, this marketing crap from ASUS or ASRock(possibly ASRock adapted it from ASUS, we will see if we see the same slides come up on other sites). Someone needs to defend their quality as they really do put a lot of it in, anyone who should take any crap for quality is ASRock.
    If seems you have blurred the line of "fact" vs "opinion".
    That's cool with me, as long as you keep to yourself. Can you keep to yourself?

You make some good points but between your profound anger (you seem very worked up) and shady "facts" such as...
    Quote Originally Posted by This is a direction to another person in relation to gigabyte being the vendor
    Fact #6 Don't put down a vendor who is trying to an actually improving their VRM quality
    Quote Originally Posted by No, overclockers hold frequency WRs
    Fact #5: Right now as we speak GIGABYTE has the frequency WR
    Okay, but all the boards do about the same CPU-Z frequency, you could throw a 3 phase uber-budget board with OC options under LN2 and hit the same speeds as you could with $400 motherboard...and nice comment earlier about "anyone can do 7 GHz" too, you are a shame to the effort put in by members of the OC community...

Why don't you go buy 50 CPUs and bin the best of them, I'd bet you $1000 you don't find a 7 GHz+ chip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Why don't you explain yours first
    Fact #3: GIGABYTE's Ultra Durable 5 really is one of a kind, Anyone wants to fight this please explain your case.
    ...I don't know why I would give your posts any credibility...and while I realize people are saying absurdly stupid things in this thread you are countering with just as crazy retorts.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 08-15-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    You are aware ASUS and others do the same exact thing? Gigabyte is hardly the only one that leaves off the top section.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/p..._p8z77v_le.jpg
    but hey!

the sniper m3 is not a budget mobo!

Xtreme Addict
    Holy hell, that reads like a giga rep trying to do PR
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    but hey!

the sniper m3 is not a budget mobo!
    It's not really an overclocking mobo either, though it does so just fine. It's an MATX mobo that comes with an actual NIC and soundcard so you don't have to buy those and can save space in an MATX build. It doesn't ship with an LED debug, and the power/reset buttons that overclocking mobo's ship with either.

If you were looking for an overclocking MATX mobo the ASUS ROG one is what you want (though it's sound is of much lesser quality), if you want an MATX mobo to play games, the sniper is what you want.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Pie assassin
    all this drama over obr... again

flawed report, flawed accusations, flawed arguments.

I am Xtreme
    i remember the first time i noticed all the empty solder pads on the back of the socket on my ud5h i was worried something was wrong lol
    but no.. its a good board and had treated me well.. but i will say it isnt as smooth of an OC experience as my M5F.. now whether or not that has anything to do with these "missing" capacitors, we do not know.

Xtreme XIP
    That article its to be taken with a Spoon of salt ... I have had good and Bad Boards from Gigabyte and from every other Mobo manufaturer also !
    Last edited by chispy; 08-15-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by chispy View Post
    That article its to be taken with a Spoon of salt ...
    Just a spoon?

Plus, it isn't really an article, is it? It seems like only a few posted marketing slides....

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Just a spoon?

Plus, it isn't really an article, is it? It seems like only a few posted marketing slides....
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    im not sure what is more impressive, the size of the spoon or the fact that it appears to be carved from a single large piece of wood (for the most part)

I am Xtreme
    I am passionate about this topic, extremely passionate. Don't get me wrong, I like GIGABYTE, but I also think they should have heatsinked all of the VRMs on the UD3H, although it isn't needed, even if you stress 4C/8T under 100% load at 5G, i have tested this. But that is typical of the UD3H line, something I would change tho just for appearance sake.

What you should be concerned about is how big those heatsinks are on the extreme4, what are they cooling or rather hiding.

Xtreme Member
    I am passionate about this topic, extremely passionate. Don't get me wrong, I like GIGABYTE, but I also think they should have heatsinked all of the VRMs on the UD3H, although it isn't needed, even if you stress 4C/8T under 100% load at 5G, i have tested this. But that is typical of the UD3H line, something I would change tho just for appearance sake.

What you should be concerned about is how big those heatsinks are on the extreme4, what are they cooling or rather hiding.
    Dont worry, there is no way we would think you didn't like Gigabyte
    My pot is bigger than your pot

WHAU!!!!

Xtreme Member
    asrock is crap lol almost spit my beer all over the screen reading that.
    asrock z77 extreme6
    G.SKILL Sniper F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR
    asus 5870
    wd 1tb black
    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD

silver wall jumper X
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    On all the boards I tested (asus, msi, gigabyte), my CPU was always limited to 6700 MHz.

You guys can keep counting capacitors, I'll spend my time finding a better CPU
    +1

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by xdan View Post
    Asrock has just released Z77 OC Formula, at 239$ i think Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 loses on this.
    This board has some scores at 7GHZ from Computex. It's built specialy for overclocking.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157328
    Looks nice for overclocking but the UD5H is still a tri-fire capable board with supplemental power for the pci-e slots at under $200. For day to day use that seems like a great deal. With my i5 3570k at my day to day oc it actually pulled it off with a little less voltage than my P67 sabertooth. For what I'm using this board for so far I'm happy.

I'm sure that there is a reason for the fewer capacitors and I would like to see what it is. If it is over a cost cutting measure then that is disappointing.

Yeah, I was disappointed that they didn't sink all of the mosfets on the UD3. I loved my P55a-UD3. I actually preferred it over my P55 GD65 for overclocking features. That was a great board for the price. I wouldn't buy a motherboard with bare vrms. It makes you wonder where else they skimped.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 08-15-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Xtreme Member
    wouldnt this whole story only apply to the xtreme ocers? i mean almost every board can oc your cpu to the air/water temps. its when ln2 and dice come into play thats whaen these limits that may or may not even exist matter. arent most xtreme clockers either huge fan boys or sponsored by certain companies? so it wouldnt matter either way. if your cpu doesn't oc as well as others than its either the cpu itself or you doing something wrong. every motherboard on the market has at least one person having great success with it so i really dont buy this giga wants to cut cost and now your cpu wont oc as much bs.
    asrock z77 extreme6
    G.SKILL Sniper F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR
    asus 5870
    wd 1tb black
    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD

Xtreme Mentor
    sorry but i think everybody here missing the point. first question everybody should ask here is "if intel has a spec of 43 capacitors why gigabyte doesnt obey this spec? especially while as everybody said that components are dirty cheap for them.". yes article is aiming us to gigabyte cant overclock well idea which is completely wrong but come on this OBR leave that not fact silly ideas to them. But question still stays we should get a logical answer. "if intel has a spec of 43 capacitors why gigabyte doesnt obey this spec? especially while as everybody said that components are dirty cheap for them."

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Kromosto,

The spec does not state 43 caps, rather a nominal resistance/capacitance value as a guide not a hard set rule. It is up to the builders to design to spec or improve/tweak as they see fit. Some could argue that a 4 phase VR is just as good as a 24 phase VR, it is how the builder implements the design.

hellspoiler.jpg
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 08-15-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast