Thread: AMD Fusion: How It Started, Where It’s Going, And What It Means

Xtreme Addict

AMD Fusion: How It Started, Where It’s Going, And What It Means

You've already read about APUs, and maybe you're even using them now. But the road to creating APUs was paved with a number of struggles and unsung breakthroughs. This is the story of how hybrid chips came to be at AMD and where they’re going.

“Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuver. What is difficult about maneuver is to make the devious route the most direct and to turn misfortune to advantage.”

—Sun Tzu, The Art of War

When I interviewed Dave Orton, then the president of ATI Technologies, in 2002, one of the first things he told me, "It’s always what’s possible in the business that keeps people going." No more prophetic words could describe the coming merger between his company and CPU manufacturer AMD. The big question, of course, isn’t what is possible or even whether the possible will become reality. The real question is whether the possible will become reality soon enough.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...tory,3262.html

wow damn that is a great article......Jesus man! very illuminating.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Mentor
    Interesting but known by most, Intel and AMD both look at integrated GPU high performance CPU's as the future for consumers. I had even asked why not integrate the GPU to the motherboard with added independent memory controller i got a ear full from an Intel engg. overall fusion is the future and from what i see Intel has a butt load of power in Haswell whereas AMD has yet to release Trinity
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    I'd like to see CPU's to get similar mass parallelism as GPU's have now. Not just GPU being merged with the GPU in a single die...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Interesting but known by most, Intel and AMD both look at integrated GPU high performance CPU's as the future for consumers. I had even asked why not integrate the GPU to the motherboard with added independent memory controller i got a ear full from an Intel engg. overall fusion is the future and from what i see Intel has a butt load of power in Haswell whereas AMD has yet to release Trinity
    Is Intel focusing on OpenCL as well? Or what are they planning to use on the software side?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Overall fusion is the future and from what i see Intel has a butt load of power in Haswell whereas AMD has yet to release Trinity
    Right, but Trinity was released month ago, widely available in mobile market.
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Xtreme Member
    Nice article, but its written from a perspective that wouldn't be an anticlimax if AMD was dominating the market now ; Of course this is not the end , there's still a long road ahead, the CPU and GPU are sharing the silicon, but when they will be sharing the workload we shall have the REAL thing. Way to go Intelamd.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

This is a stab at it -- feel free to correct me, ladies

As it stands now, AMD is promoting unified address space and cache coherency for their ultimate APU HSA arch in the next few years, with the CPU/GPU cores sharing the memory controller.

I'm not sure about Haswell, but my understanding is SB/IB use a 'ring bus' whereby GPU cores (and the memory controller, northbridge, media logic, etc.) share last-level CPU cache.

The performance advantage Intel currently gains in this fashion is the shared last-level cache runs at CPU core speed.

As noted, Intel has integrated northbridge functions on-die. AMD uses a 'hub' with off-die NB, and has implied that '3rd-party IP' (i.e., ARM) may be integrated to share the unified address space, memory controller, and NB hub.

Xtreme Member
    Any SB/IB + a discrete low-profile cheap GPU will obliterate those APUs in an HTPC. I hope AMd could put there almost 800 GCN shaders or I won't be in .

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post
    Any SB/IB + a discrete low-profile cheap GPU will obliterate those APUs in an HTPC. I hope AMd could put there almost 800 GCN shaders or I won't be in .
    And what about SB/IB with no help from a cheap dGPU?
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA View Post
    Right, but Trinity was released month ago, widely available in mobile market.
    No desktop availability even for mobile market top end is not available freely not to mention that Intel will most likely intro desktop along/first as compared to mobile. AMD will not intro low/mid end Trinity even in OCT which is again a bad move they want to sell off any inventory possible which is greedy and may result in low end IVB taking their spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Is Intel focusing on OpenCL as well? Or what are they planning to use on the software side?
    Yes it is specially in the ultrabook sector and by extension the laptop/desktop sector as well. In IDF there will be limited support for OpenCL but there will be a whole presentation on it and specialized tools will be dispensed. With Haswell this should get better but Broadwell and Haswell are far from what they could have been if the LRB project was a success that is.
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    Yes it is specially in the ultrabook sector and by extension the laptop/desktop sector as well. In IDF there will be limited support for OpenCL but there will be a whole presentation on it and specialized tools will be dispensed. With Haswell this should get better but Broadwell and Haswell are far from what they could have been if the LRB project was a success that is.
    Thanks for the info.
    It will be interesting to compare tools & licensing models offered by Intel to those offered by HSA Foundation. I guess the technical approach should be rather similar.
    Last edited by zalbard; 08-15-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post
    more money = better performance? really that surprising?

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    It will be interesting to compare tools & licensing models offered by Intel to those offered by HSA Foundation. I guess the technical approach should be rather similar.
    I agree, Im really looking forward for Steamroller APU/CPU (hope,sometimes at 2013-Q4?)
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread