Thread: Moving rad/res/pump(s) to the basement, what pump woul be suitable?

Xtreme Batrachian

Moving rad/res/pump(s) to the basement, what pump woul be suitable?

Hi guys:

I haven't touched my WC loop for about a year now but suddenly I'm feeling an itch of sorts

I use a MoRa3 9x140 and I'm thinking on moving it to the basement (is directly below my bedroom where this rig is) along with the pump(s) and res to make things even more silent... Either the pumps/fans have changed the noise quality over the past year or I have become very sensitive to their noise, but they are starting to grate on me. How I devised things doesn't help either, because the pumps have ended up about 50cm from my ears...

I have my server and other noisy stuff down there and I've been monitoring temperatures for about 9 months now. It's usually between 16C and 21C (in winter the boiler for the building's heating, which also resides down there, gets switched on and helps a lot to keep temperatures from dropping too low) so condensation is less of an issue... I like to keep my flat around 20-21C throughout the year (not a fan of making it a tropical paradise during winter).

I have pretty much everything figured out except the pump. At the moment I'm using 2xPMP400 on a RP-402x2 and it gives me a flow rate of 4 lpm on my loop (EK R3BE FC, EK Supreme, EK 6990 FC). Temps are OK with the 980x @ 4.5 and the 6990 mildly OC-d (about 10%... my 6990 is not a very OC friendly card... I seem to get diminishing returns past that...)

However now I have two new factors, tube length and head. I have to add about 4m of tubing (I'll be using 15mm copper tube) and the height differential (I don't know if that's how is expressed in English, my apologies if the terminology makes no sense) is 1.5m

Would the 2xPMP400 still get the job done or I should get something with a bit more *oomph*?

I'm not limited by voltage, I'm not planning on running the cooling setup in the basement from the rig's PSU, so 220V pumps can be considered as well.

Neither I'm planning on reusing the res, a friend of mine has already decided I'm gonna donate the res to him, and is also hoping for the pumps to be unsuitable so he gets the lot

If you conquered tl;dr and made it this far, thanks for reading
    Last edited by MrToad; 08-12-2012 at 05:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Member
    I may be wrong because I don't know all your gear, but I would guess you are OK with the 402's at full power. Martinm210 tested the PMP 400x2 here.

Since you still have a good flow rate at the moment, the pumps probably still have 1.5 meters of lift or head remaining. And it's unlikely that adding 4 meters of large diameter tubing is significantly restrictive.

You could try it and see. At worst, you may need to add one more pump in series (another 402 would be fine to use three 400's total in series). Three DDC pumps in series were not all that uncommon too long ago in a more restrictive era. So although you may need to add another pump in series, it's unlikely you need to get rid of any pumps.

Martin's pump & radiator optimizer worksheet can help predict flow rates. When looking at flow, you can substitute parts that have the same pressure drop or restriction and get an estimate. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Corsair 850 tx psu; Dell 27" monitor
    XSPC rx rads; Apogee xt2; gtx680+Heatkiller fc; mcp655's in EK-D5 top
    distilled water + silver in MasterKleer 7/16" ID on 1/2" barbs & compressions

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by musicfan View Post
    I may be wrong because I don't know all your gear, but I would guess you are OK with the 402's at full power. Martinm210 tested the PMP 400x2 here.

Since you still have a good flow rate at the moment, the pumps probably still have 1.5 meters of lift or head remaining. And it's unlikely that adding 4 meters of large diameter tubing is significantly restrictive.

You could try it and see. At worst, you may need to add one more pump in series (another 402 would be fine to use three 400's total in series). Three DDC pumps in series were not all that uncommon too long ago in a more restrictive era. So although you may need to add another pump in series, it's unlikely you need to get rid of any pumps.

Martin's pump & radiator optimizer worksheet can help predict flow rates. When looking at flow, you can substitute parts that have the same pressure drop or restriction and get an estimate. Good luck.
    I completely forgot about Martin's spreadsheet, thanks for the reminder

Adding a third PMP400 in series is going to work out cheaper than a 220V Iwaki too...
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.