Thread: My Sweet Tea recipe...

Xtreme 3D Team

My Sweet Tea recipe...

Well, I'm a little bored, and I've been spending a few weeks working on getting a sweet iced tea the way I liked it...

Makes 3L

You need:
    1.5L hot water
    1.5L cold water
    8 Lipton Black Tea bags, the gross, bitter ones
    1/2 cup Lipton Instant Iced Tea mix: "Green Tea with Citrus" flavor
    2/3 cup sugar (more or less depending on taste)
    Large teapot
    3 quart/liter pitcher

Heat 1.5L hot water to a boil , steep 8 lipton Black Tea bags for 4 minutes in teapot.
    Add 1/2 cup Lipton Instant Iced Tea mix, and 2/3 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly.
    Add 1.5L cold water to 3 qt pitcher.
    Pour in 1.5L concentrated mix.
    Stir, and chill, with or without ice.

Enjoy later ...
    Smile

that is sweetened ice tea, not sweet tea, you need 3-4x more sugar for sweet tea. looks good though as i do not like sweet tea.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    that is sweetened ice tea, not sweet tea, you need 3-4x more sugar for sweet tea. looks good though as i do not like sweet tea.
    You're joking right?
    Maybe twice as much, not 3-4x D: Most of the instant mix is sugar too...so roughly 1 cup per 3L, 1 1/3 per gallon.
    What you end up with is a rather sweet tea, I don't think I could stand a tea twice this sweet, and I've had many store bought sweet teas as well as homemade...

Maybe it has a little to do with the tea blend, what kind of teas are used...this has a very smooth flavor when done.

I can't see putting 4 cups of sugar into 3/4 gallon of tea. That's 66g sugar per 8oz, ~130 per 16oz... ~160g Sugar per 20oz seems kinda gross.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 08-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    Smile

i am not saying that yours is bad, it looks quite good. but sweet tea is a thing from the south and is why they have such a high rate of obesity and diabetes. it is so sweet that they put as much sugar as they can in hot tea then chill it, leaving a slightly syrup quality.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i am not saying that yours is bad, it looks quite good. but sweet tea is a thing from the south and is why they have such a high rate of obesity and diabetes. it is so sweet that they put as much sugar as they can in hot tea then chill it, leaving a slightly syrup quality.
    Sounds like a great thing to hydrate with.

>_<
    Smile

They drink that crap 24/7 down here. It's unbelievable how much sugar they put in that stuff. Even the fast food chains serve it, McDonalds, Hardees, Subway, BK...
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like something I'll try, I will actually use less sugar becuase I am not investing myself in diabetes research.

But it is INSANE how much sugar people all over the world consume, yuck!

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    Holy Cow ...McDonalds could make a sweet-tea where you guys live, with Guerana flavor just to call it Sporty, and then sell it to kids in schools?

Persian & Kurdish "sweet-tea" is regular black tea, that they drink for breakfast. They put 2 teaspoons of sugar in a glass of tea, and they drink it while they eat salty feta cheese and white bread for breakfast. O.o When they don't eat salty food, they usually place a sugar cube in on their tongue and drink 2 glasses of tea with it. I really thought that was sweet, untill I read this thread....

When I make ice tea, I mix double amount of nestea instant powder with water, and then I fill it all up with ice cubes. If I can't have ice cubes in my homemade instant ice tea, then I will not drink it O.o I want my ice <3

I can't keep my eyes open any longer, have a nice night evernyone ...i'm gonna hug my pillow ^^
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Xtreme Member
    Aw the history of tea!! lol My story of tea goes as this. I have been drinking tea everyday well since hmm birth. My Mom and dad are from the south but now we live in the north most of my family does. I am a army brat have lived everywhere from Germany to Texas to Illinois. Anyways southern tea IMO is way to sweet but I'll drink it just to be nice to the person offering it. Here at home we make a gallon of tea just about once a day a very simple form of tea since we drink so much of it.

Take 5 tea bags name brand or not just has to be tea bags.
    Place said tea bags in a microwaveable bowl with water.
    Set microwave to high for 5 mins.
    Take gallon jug feel with cold water.
    Put about a 1/3 cup or 80ml of sugar in gallon of water (little more doesn't hurt but not to much where all you taste is sugar)
    Once tea in microwave is done pour out into gallon jug and squeeze tea bags but don't break open the squeezed tea bags (no one likes flouting tea stuff in drinking tea)lol
    Steer with a long spoon wood or metal I like wood.
    Get a glass with or without ICE (myself no ice) pour into glass.
    Done

I didn't even knew it was possible to make tea in a microwave... the thought has never struck me, it makes sense but ...but but O.O

In my family we drink tea all day long. We take a tea filter and fill it up with a tablespoon black tea, and we put the tea in the pot. Then we use an electric kettle to boil some water, and when it has cooled off a bit, we pour the hot not-boiling water into the teapot.

For my parents it is importent that it's 100% pure tea, no additives, no color and no tea flavor in the tea ...if the tea needs flavor, then it's not good enough! For me it just has to taste good, and not be too bitter. I love Lipton Russian Earl Grey and Persian Earl Grey :P Vanilla Tea is also one of my favorites and and ...I just love almost all kinds of tea ^^ My parents use sugar cubes, they place one on their tongue while they drink tea ..I use honey or milk, and if it's green tea then I just drink it as it is...
    Last edited by vohu manah; 08-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Guy's, yes sweet tea has a ton of sugar in it. However I only know a few people that actually drink it, or even like it so it's not like everyone in the south is slurping it down...
    I would say it's more popular away from the big city areas, the country folk, and good ol' boy type love it.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Admin
    It's one thing I definitely miss about the south.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't drink tea at all. I think tea is not as popular here, not as much as coffee at least.
    Do you drink tea all day, like you would drink a Coke or do you have a special moment? Breakfast, deserts?
    I remember reading how British soldiers at El Alamein said that drinking water was not always avalaible, but they always had plenty of tea. I think it's because boiling the water kills bacteria etc and conditions in the desert would stagnate the water, so drinking tea was encouraged.
    Last edited by El Mano; 08-12-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Well yeah, I like a glass of tea when I wake up...then one more glass, when I smoke the first cigarette of the day, I put milk or honey in my tea... and when I take a break from work or computergame, or anything I do, I'd like a glass of tea... (I prefer a tea glass over a teacup). I used to drink coffee like that, but after the surgury my body can't take more than 2 cups of coffee, I start feeling sick...

I dislike soda most of the time...execpt from when I grill red meat *muahahaha* I become addicted to pepsi and coke, but only for a couple of hours!! The rest of the time I drink milk and tea.
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.

Xtreme Member
    I add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for a gallon of sweet tea. It makes the tea much smoother.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB