Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    It's turbo time......Time to OC a somewhat aging phenom II X4 err I mean 4 core err i mean 4 banger.
    Turbo is the way to go, just swapped over my Redline from the Eaton m62 to a BW 256et. I believe these are somewhat popular on your platform too. Spools great, lots of power, 24-25psi on E85 makes it a handful.

20120824182126.jpg
    Core i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz
    eVGA P55 FTW
    2x 2GB Corsair Domminators DDR3
    Sapphire 4890 1GB

Xtreme Addict
    Well you took a bit different of a route than me...

I do however wish you much luck with the neon...and hopefully some other bits and bobs.

Xtreme Member
    I'll ad my previous project I never worked on, that my close friend finished this summer. It was a primered engineless car when I bought it, and sold it last fall.
    photo 5.jpg
    For the engine.
    500 cad + headers.jpg

I have a nice collection of gm engines in my shop ATM, latest being a 3.7 I-5 and a gt3782vgt.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Turbo is the way to go, .-Snipped-
    I'd disagree to a point. Depends on the setup. I played with the idea of a turbo on my 3800. I still have the S/C on the v6. It is more about air flow. Plus I'm pretty happy with 15 PSI I'm getting from it, it holds it from 1100rpm to 5800 rpm . Not dogging Turbos by no means, just saying. Thogh this setup does have me wondering... If only i could fit the plumbing in the cavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Wp1MbNp-8
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Xtreme Legend
    i race cars too these days Brian, RC cars lol. Big one's are a bit on the expensive side

didnt realise you split with the missus mate, sorry to hear that, hope the young fella is not taking it bad
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by charged3800z24 View Post
    I'd disagree to a point. Depends on the setup. I played with the idea of a turbo on my 3800. I still have the S/C on the v6. It is more about air flow. Plus I'm pretty happy with 15 PSI I'm getting from it, it holds it from 1100rpm to 5800 rpm . Not dogging Turbos by no means, just saying. Thogh this setup does have me wondering... If only i could fit the plumbing in the cavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Wp1MbNp-8
    You forget all about the GNX? 3800 is a descendant of the 3.8 turbo in the GNX.....all the bonneville guys after i got rid of mine were going turbo.....and they started putting down 10's

Here's the home of the fastest 3800's. Hope it helps.

http://www.intense-racing.com/index.shtml

Dino, been there done that. I had a fully modded and tricked out supernitro RS4, my engine of choice was navarossi for street car. I had the little thing doing 100mph ( not scale ) damn thing used to pop wheelies every time it shifted ( had a 2 speed trans ) due to the power transfer rate of the shorter rear belt, thats when it wasn't snapping the rear drive shaft that drove the belt. I fooled around with a ofna hyper 7 to.....but it wasn't very fun to run because I stuck a OFNA/PICO 21 and that motor was just to much for it. It was an animal and the throttle response was like an onn/off switch. It only knew stop and GOOOOOO....
    Last edited by chew*; 10-15-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Member
    What's up guys... came around to here checking new's.. saw chew's goodbye thread... also comeback thread. Instantly popped up my post history... it seems that it's been allmost 2 years of no Overclocking for me... ok been doing some little tickling on laptop.

All came to end on p2... as fustrated on pI which was completely disaster, i gave good go for pII ended up in ROC, was good times. After that, something just camed in front of me. Could not continue, dont know why, but felt so.

I still miss good ole BH-5 sticks, how i tryed to reach near Lastviking records... thou got good pair of 2x256 @ 292. Fortunately, all my screenshots are gone from early 200 to this day... some maybe in imageshack... But in overall, good memories, fun times breaking own records and stuff...

2010, i felt that life was circling around, made changes to my life, left my job, went to new job. Better pay, (yeah not much... but still) met great people on the trip. Met girl or two :happy: ... Got new hobby, as a mechanic in rallyteam.

And month a go bought this babe:

brb uploading photo

Linky:
    http://aijaa.com/RQU03T

VW polo 1.1L
    year 1978
    Missing lot of stuff... but will get them eventually.

Thou i still drive most of my driving with my Jetta' 06 2.0l tdi (allmost 300 000km and counting on trip)
    Last edited by KeZzZu; 10-15-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    A64 2800@ 9x279 # Abit kv8pro 3rd EYE (vtt and vmem modded) # 2x256 mb TwinMos memory( with old winbond ch-5 max:240@3.5v) # 2x256mb KHX 3000 memory (with old winbond bh-5 max:270@3.7v)
    9600 Pro LE with vgpu mod
    Good Job!

Xtreme Member
    Damn Brian, not bad... The SRT is a good swap and plenty of tuning parts.

The Trans is pretty good as long as you mentioned the key parts for 3Rd is replaced as you noted.

The stock bottom end can take a pretty good beating tbh and even the stock turbo has a bit left in it if you have the time and patience for it.

PM me if you have any ?'s I have done some pretty extensive work on some of the SRT-4's over the years.
    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine..

Brilliant Idiot
    Sure thing man. Car came today so I started getting nosy. Found a greddy oil catch can, saw a stage 1 sticker in trunk that came off in accident, got me curious since stickers are cheap stage mods aren't......

Computer for sure is staged......but it might not be 1 or 2. After looking some more found urethane mount inserts, a 3" O2 housing, 3" borla catback exhaust, found tip and for that matter all boost solenoids bypassed,like wise I found a BOV, turbo I don't think is original as well. IC looks to be a tad bigger than stock. Seems to be stage 3 modded for most part but I will investigate further. If its cammed it doesn't appear to be anything exciting as the idle is steady, not lopey.

I'm gonna do some extensive engine health testing over weekend compression, check vaccum and do a cylinder leakdown test. Unfortunately it's in no way driveable so trans is still questionable. All I can tell is when running at idle no gears are jumping back out when i release clutch but that doesn't mean much.

I'll post a few pics tommorow. The damage is preety severe to rear end, looks like it had butt secks with a telephone pole or one damn big tree.

Punx I paid a total of $1000 for entire car, selling rims srt hood and a few other things to knock the swap down to around $500 range.. The car it's getting swapped to is supposed to look sleepy
    Last edited by chew*; 10-15-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Guru
    read the last rhyme.
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...036929&page=14

C to the H to the E to the W
    my man Chew's got props for each and every one of you.

hes been on a hiatus on the overclocking scene and saving freon.
    hes putting most of his time into his fam and his neon.

Hey chew what up my brother?
    we're bustin rhymes tighter than sally struthers.
    from all in the family
    you of anyone is godamn proud of me. Bustin that eminem dub on the mob deep track.

im kicking ill crap like getting kicked in the nut sack. at the end of the day its all for you, cuz the real mc's know all that you been through.
    when I was at your crib benching putting the gay back in Reggae, And the whole time I thought that crap was wack.
    but in retrospect that was the max.
    So now when we bench we all listen to bob marley
    that makes you laxed so you can overclock gnarly
    hey chew dont be a stranger.
    were gonna need your ass when it comes down to danger.
    you're the muthafkcin illest when it comes down to clocking
    youre the over clock equivalent to ma-fcking steven hawkin'

Brilliant Idiot

Why even swap it? It looks nice right?

heatware chew*

Xtreme Mentor
    Nothing a hammer and a bit of patience can't fix :P
    Definitely bargain for $1k if engine is in good condition ...
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Cruncher
    You forget all about the GNX? 3800 is a descendant of the 3.8 turbo in the GNX.....all the bonneville guys after i got rid of mine were going turbo.....and they started putting down 10's

Here's the home of the fastest 3800's. Hope it helps.

http://www.intense-racing.com/index.shtml
    Yeah I am familiar with Intense Racing, got my first Engine from Morad Part who holds one of the records on there list. I use to regular 3800pro.com forums. There are engines putting out good power with hardly any boost, is all I am saying. You can throw Turbo's at an engine all day, but if it doesn't flow, it won't matter.

My favorite turbo setup is a Twin staged setup with a quick spooler for low end and bigger one for higher RPM band. If you can balance this setup it works real nice.... Not knocking turbo's at all, I am still considering a dual setup. But, I have yet to see a Pro Stock, Top Fuel eyc, drag car running anything but Blowers.....(Runs and hides)
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Xtreme Member
    Sure thing man. Car came today so I started getting nosy. Found a greddy oil catch can, saw a stage 1 sticker in trunk that came off in accident, got me curious since stickers are cheap stage mods aren't......

Computer for sure is staged......but it might not be 1 or 2. After looking some more found urethane mount inserts, a 3" O2 housing, 3" borla catback exhaust, found tip and for that matter all boost solenoids bypassed,like wise I found a BOV, turbo I don't think is original as well. IC looks to be a tad bigger than stock. Seems to be stage 3 modded for most part but I will investigate further. If its cammed it doesn't appear to be anything exciting as the idle is steady, not lopey.

I'm gonna do some extensive engine health testing over weekend compression, check vaccum and do a cylinder leakdown test. Unfortunately it's in no way driveable so trans is still questionable. All I can tell is when running at idle no gears are jumping back out when i release clutch but that doesn't mean much.

I'll post a few pics tommorow. The damage is preety severe to rear end, looks like it had butt secks with a telephone pole or one damn big tree.

Punx I paid a total of $1000 for entire car, selling rims srt hood and a few other things to knock the swap down to around $500 range.. The car it's getting swapped to is supposed to look sleepy
    It sounds like you got a hell of a deal as theres all kinds of neat finds in there.

As im sure you know a lopey engine would actually not be ideal for turbo you want something with a tight overlap to avoid pushing boost right out the open exhaust valves.

never know could be some choice cams in there after hearing how much other parts are on it.

and I am totally down with sleepers.... nothing better than a car thats fast as hell but looks pedestrian

Edit: Any idea on axles? I know that when upgrading SRT's one thing for sure I had to upgrade was the stock shafts. Wonder what that one has?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punx223 View Post
    It sounds like you got a hell of a deal as theres all kinds of neat finds in there.

As im sure you know a lopey engine would actually not be ideal for turbo you want something with a tight overlap to avoid pushing boost right out the open exhaust valves.

never know could be some choice cams in there after hearing how much other parts are on it.

and I am totally down with sleepers.... nothing better than a car thats fast as hell but looks pedestrian

Edit: Any idea on axles? I know that when upgrading SRT's one thing for sure I had to upgrade was the stock shafts. Wonder what that one has?
    Done right you can get away with some overlap and turbos. The problem is typically opposite of what you said, high overlap and poorly sized turbine typically contaminates the intake charge with exhaust and its heat. Most turbo builds will end up with higher exhaust pressure pre-turbo then they end up with as boost, but it is possible to get more boost then exhaust pressure. Doesn't happen by accident though.

If you want to have some fun tuning, see if any of the vnt (variable nozzle turbine) turbos off the smaller diesels fit your size requirements. Theres a 3571 vnt i think from the first year 6.0l ps in the med duty range trucks, the 6.0l pickups got different variations of the 3782, and the durtymax gets 3782 and 3788 vnts. Couple holsets as well off the common rail cummins have the vnt. Most work off a pulsewidth solenoid controlling oil flow to change turbine a/r. Lots of benefits, only real downside is you'd be one of the pioneers and have to do the fab and testing/tuning with little help from the turbo community.

Quote Originally Posted by charged3800z24 View Post
    Not knocking turbo's at all, I am still considering a dual setup. But, I have yet to see a Pro Stock, Top Fuel eyc, drag car running anything but Blowers.....(Runs and hides)
    It's against the rules iirc. Lag for the traction, top end for the action!
    Core i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz
    eVGA P55 FTW
    2x 2GB Corsair Domminators DDR3
    Sapphire 4890 1GB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    Done right you can get away with some overlap and turbos. The problem is typically opposite of what you said, high overlap and poorly sized turbine typically contaminates the intake charge with exhaust and its heat. Most turbo builds will end up with higher exhaust pressure pre-turbo then they end up with as boost, but it is possible to get more boost then exhaust pressure. Doesn't happen by accident though.

If you want to have some fun tuning, see if any of the vnt (variable nozzle turbine) turbos off the smaller diesels fit your size requirements. Theres a 3571 vnt i think from the first year 6.0l ps in the med duty range trucks, the 6.0l pickups got different variations of the 3782, and the durtymax gets 3782 and 3788 vnts. Couple holsets as well off the common rail cummins have the vnt. Most work off a pulsewidth solenoid controlling oil flow to change turbine a/r. Lots of benefits, only real downside is you'd be one of the pioneers and have to do the fab and testing/tuning with little help from the turbo community.
    I understand, but I am a lil spoiled as I am used to building hybrid turbo designs for smaller motors (Race only) with larger compressor housings and not necessarily smaller but smaller in comparison hot side housings to allow faster spool up without the lag to 5-5.5K+ taht a normal larger race bred turbo would require.... and with a proper balance you can run a tight overlap and make a very potent setup...

but now its splitting hairs as you can get huge amounts of power by the same token with a different design as you said... I guess it all comes down to preference and work you want to perform...

as for Variable geometry turbos.... I wish I was adventurous enough for that but thats a boat load of mapping just to match the vgt solenoid/vane position to the proper island plot for the turbo. thats alot of rocket science that I would never wanna try to figure out :P

if you do please post a build log

Brilliant Idiot
    Axles look like they may be stock. Be interesting to see whats in there for a clutch. I need to crack it anyway once it's out as the clutch forks are usually junk and are usually worn and also #1 cause for most T-850 trans issues. Stupid cast iron....

I took it for a quick ride with a donut on rear at impact side to clear damage, I rolled into first got going a tad and nailed it and it spun, Rolled it into second got going then nailed it and it spun, same for third so I'm guessing 350 HP range from having driven a few. Third usually won't burn tire from a roll until you dyno about 325 hp. I didn't try banging gears through gears high rpm though, no sense breaking it before I even get started. Totally forgot to even pay attention to how much boost it was pushing, was more worried about the car splitting in half, it was definitely kinked more when I took a look at it after I parked it.
    Last edited by chew*; 10-16-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Axles look like they may be stock. Be interesting to see whats in there for a clutch. I need to crack it anyway once it's out as the clutch forks are usually junk and are usually worn and also #1 cause for most T-850 trans issues. Stupid cast iron....

I took it for a quick ride with a donut on rear at impact side to clear damage, I rolled into first got going a tad and nailed it and it spun, Rolled it into second got going then nailed it and it spun, same for third so I'm guessing 350 HP range from having driven a few. Third usually won't burn tire from a roll until you dyno about 325 hp. I didn't try banging gears through gears high rpm though, no sense breaking it before I even get started.
    lol, sounds like your off to a pretty strong start.... what is your HP target for this, or will it be progressive stepping up along the way?

Brilliant Idiot
    I've been told by those that daily drove them 300-350whp is fun, after 400whp not so fun and things break quite often.

350whp I guess is a nice place and realistic goal for 15 and less PSI. Of course I will focus on trying to get the power band nice and smooth, 350whp peak at a certain rpm is def not the same as 350 steady whp over a wide range which will be my goal. I have to say this turbo spools up really quick.

Car it's going in is on page 1, already done a few things to it. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5126768

I was saving up for rota slip streams and kumho cheater slicks when this car popped up on craigslist.

More investigating.

Mopar STS instead of the factory shifter.

Booger shifter bushings

Granatelli coil

Granatelli wires

Rear strut truss bar

Nothing special really except when you are upgrading but aftermarket OEM twin fan radiator and fan assembly. I have a mishimoto twin fan in my DD so the plastic one will have to go.

Had a code something related to skim, no emmisions stuff though.
    Last edited by chew*; 10-16-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    heatware chew*

how would you run 350hp out of the stock rad.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    how would you run 350hp out of the stock rad.
    Stock mtx neons have a single core single fan rad, stock srt4 has a single core dual fan rad with more agressive fan profiles. Sounds like Auto ocing right?

The mishimoto and or koyo are 2 core so actually a capacity upgrade and not plastic which is why it's one of my first changes when I plan to drive a car hard.

Crappy engine bay shot of my DD. It's just a normal 01 neon with 03-05 front and rear body swap.

02 magnum PCM, 03 magnum intake P&P with working secondaries, stock head with port work to exhaust side ( bowl work only ) custom CAI ( made it myself ), urethane filled mounts ( windoweld )
    mishimoto twin fan rad and fan setup. Hydraulic tensioner swapped for manual on timing belt. Apex SAFC II, stock SRT exhaust, custom catch can, Mopar short throw shifter, I also rebuilt the trans. AC delete. I also have a manual rack for PS delete but not sure i'm changing yet.....various suspension stuff done.

I'm sure i'm missing a bunch of stuff.

Over winter if I have time since I will be working on other car I plan to replace lower end with a 32K block ( really pointless to build an NA motor for a 2gn other than longevity ), install 01 P&P magnum head which has a preety agressive factory cam in it but need to do crane valve springs as they made the 01 cam 1 year then discontinued it and toned it down due to to agressive a lift which broke valve springs. I have a shorty factory header ( borla made them ) as well to add, 60 mm modern performance throttle body, walbro 255. Once it's all done it will prolly do 160 whp.

Last edited by chew*; 10-16-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    koyo is a good solid rad, but will need to pay attention to fan fitment... you may be better off getting some slim fans from Be cool or other brand... then either use switched relays or even just a thermostatic switch connected to relays.

but the thicker dual fan setups can get bashed up bad when motor torques on a hard launch, even if using poly bushings....

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by punx223 View Post
    koyo is a good solid rad, but will need to pay attention to fan fitment... you may be better off getting some slim fans from Be cool or other brand... then either use switched relays or even just a thermostatic switch connected to relays.

but the thicker dual fan setups can get bashed up bad when motor torques on a hard launch, even if using poly bushings....
    the motor wont move much in the engine bay when the mounts are filled as he said
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    the motor wont move much in the engine bay when the mounts are filled as he said
    Yeah yeah ADHD kicking in again.... missed that part :-/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast