Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plextor M5 Pro: an other step forward

Xtreme Mentor
    Sorry no, but I've seen 30 MB/s plus for 4K RR. This is one of the fastest drives I have played with.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For now M5P's been a let down for me, not much improvements over M3P.. I was expecting ~40MB/s 4K reads, waiting for more reviews for clearer opinion..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
    Hi Highendtoys. How did you create the files in your TRIM test?
    I have to run, I have youth football to coach tonight but you can find the TRIM / fill testing info here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/39...ned/index.html

Xtreme Member
    Also, as I said in the review, this drive has something going on with TRIM but I'm not sure what it is yet. There was an NDA launch and the drive just arrived at 3PM the day before. It's not my best article for sure but I've been working the drive all morning to get some of the other details worked out.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Highendtoys View Post
    I have to run, I have youth football to coach tonight but you can find the TRIM / fill testing info here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/39...ned/index.html
    So the drive is 75% full. You then delete all the files and re-run the benchmark? If so how long are you waiting between deleting the files and starting the benchmark? If you run it straight away try waiting for two minutes or so. You should find performance has bounced right back to new.

Xtreme Member
    Yes, there is a delay put in between each test and each file load to the drive.

Xtreme Mentor
    That's not the M5 Pro.

Banned
    That's not the M5 Pro.
    Right. It appears to have Micron flash and the 9174 controller. Probably the M5S.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Right. It appears to have Micron flash and the 9174 controller. Probably the M5S.
    yeah url confirms that

Code:
    http://www.gdm.or.jp/review/ssd/plextor/m5s/image/08_1024x768.jpg
    http://www.gdm.or.jp/review/ssd/plextor/m5s/image/07_1024x768.jpg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That's not the M5 Pro.
    sorry I posted the wrong links

Also, as I said in the review, this drive has something going on with TRIM but I'm not sure what it is yet. There was an NDA launch and the drive just arrived at 3PM the day before. It's not my best article for sure but I've been working the drive all morning to get some of the other details worked out.
    The fact that the drive arrived just before the NDA is your problem because it's your choice to publish the review at the NDA date and not a day or two after ;-)

I don't think there is anything wrong with TRIM on the M5Pro. If you monitor with hIOmon you can see TRIM commands being executed as files get deleted. Also I just created a test file with Iometer that filled the drive. I then ran 4K random writes for half an hour or so. I then deleted the test file, waited a couple of minutes and ran AS SSD.

Attachment 129166

4K reads seem to have taken a bit of a hit, but not bad considering what the drive had just been exposed too.

The drive also uses idle time GC btw.
    Hi

I've just run my stress test ( this one : http://www.behardware.com/articles/8...a-6g-ssds.html ) on M5P and it reacts like M3P so i see no problem on TRIM.

M5 Pro 256GB benchmarks:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc HFR View Post
    I've just run my stress test ( this one : http://www.behardware.com/articles/8...a-6g-ssds.html ) on M5P and it reacts like M3P so i see no problem on TRIM.
    It is good to know that you are testing the M5P. behardware's SSD test results are always interesting to see, especially the tests where you fill the SSDs with data and stress them before measuring sequential and random write speeds. I'll be looking forward to seeing the M5P results on behardware!

For the moment i'm going crazy trying to understand Vertex 4 / Agility 4 performance/standard/very-low write performance

Banned
    For the moment i'm going crazy trying to understand Vertex 4 / Agility 4 performance/standard/very-low write performance
    I've seen lots of weird results on the Vertex 4. Even just looking at AS-SSD results with fw1.5 that are posted on the internet, it seems that the sequential read speed can vary from low 400MB/s up to 520MB/s. And most of those are (I assume) with a nearly empty SSD. It seems like the V4 firmware likes to do some really aggressive housekeeping at random times, and this can affect the performance measured.

Even your behardware link to the Vertex 4 testing (with pre-1.5 firmware) shows the Random write "new" speed jumping around a lot.

I guess the V4 is just "twitchy".

Xtreme Member
    +1...Ocz still has some work to do regarding V4 FW imo. There's a good chance that the majority of their FW engineers are up to their eyeballs with Ocz's first in-house (and very promising) controller...the Indilinx Barefoot 3. Looking forward to a review that thoroughly compares the marvell based V4 to the M5P.
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any more info on the M5P? Plextor made an announcement and there hasn't been anything since as far as availability and reviews besides the TT review. Paper launch?
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    Any more info on the M5P? Plextor made an announcement and there hasn't been anything since as far as availability and reviews besides the TT review. Paper launch?
    What else do you need to know specifically?

Personally, Expect trim/power/workload that anand's review.

Xtreme Member
    Plextor might be a bit slow with initial production if the 19nm tosh toggle hasn't ramped up sufficiently...just a guess tho.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    Paper launch? I think not, you can find them in any computer shop here in Japan.

Xtreme Member
    They are on a boat from Japan to the US most likely. They might of been held up at customs for a few days or any number of things could of happened. The 19nm ramp up hasn't been all that fast and remember that Toshiba cut their side of production 30% too.

Xtreme Member
    Hi

I have data that says different and even know why TRIM isn't running at 100%. I guess you'll have to wait for the follow up article.

Xtreme Member
    They are on a boat from Japan to the US most likely. They might of been held up at customs for a few days or any number of things could of happened. The 19nm ramp up hasn't been all that fast and remember that Toshiba cut their side of production 30% too.
    Damn...I forgot about the production cut. Looks like consumers won't be seeing lower prices usually associated with a die shrink. I wonder if Intel is gonna pull something similar with it's upcoming 20nm IMFT. That would really suck.

Xtreme Member
    I will know more about 20nm this time next week when I meet with some people closer to the action. When I saw IMFT 20nm at Computex and played with a working drive you could tell that it was a lot slower than 19nm. At Computex 19nm was ready to go and we have proof of that now with the P5 Pro.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see 20nm until 2013....but they are still saying 2012 as of right now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast