Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plextor M5 Pro: an other step forward

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ugg, I've been holding off on re-installing Windows waiting for the M5P. If Plextor put these drives on a cargo ship that stinks. You can fit thousands of these things on a pallet for air-freight and would only cost a dollar or two more per drive which I'd gladly pay for.

I might just break down and get the M3 Pro. In the TT review it actually did slightly better than the M5P in the Vantage disk tests.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

Xtreme Member
    I can tell you that both drives are very fast. If you are going notebooks, wait for the M5P as it should pull less power. I'm working on those tests now.

BUT, something now is coming in just a few days and if I were you......

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highendtoys View Post
    BUT, something now is coming in just a few days and if I were you......

I know I'm chomping at the bit to see what the Indilinx Barefoot 3 can do...fingers crossed.
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

Looks like there margin of stock has still well. except 512G.

Akiba's PC Parts Watch (Plextor M5 Pro)
    http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/...14_553218.html

PC DIY SHOP FreeT / Faith / SOFMAP / Ark : 512G selling very well. it's cheap.
    TSUKUMO eX. / Twotop : 256G has popular. some sold out.
    DOSPARA : Many people buy two drives. for RAID?
    ZOA : 128G selling fairly. 256G is not in much demand.
    Pasoconhouse Toei : Order? Stock? Had not seen the e-mail from distributor. HAHA...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I got impatient while waiting for the M5P and I got in a 256GB Plextor M3Pro in to play around with. Not too impressed so far:

128 GB Vertex 4:

Not sure why the M3Pro has this low of results, I thought they would be higher. Certainly higher than a 128 GB Vertex 4. Another extremely annoying thing with this Plextor drive is no simple way to secure erase. With OCZ Vertex 4 you can use windows Toolbox or Linux boot up disk. I don't know what crack Plextor was smoking when they decided to make their Windows Plextool set to only secure erase "external drives". The Plextor HBA is locked and even DOS HDDERASE won't send the secure erase command. I guess I'll have to try Ubuntu HDparm. So far not particularly impressed with the $270 M3Pro.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OMFG this Plextor is a PITA. Time to do something basic like secure erase a SSD with the Vertex 4: 2 seconds. Time with the M3Pro, 4 hours and unsuccessful. Let's see, Plextor's "Plextool" is completely worthless and doesn't send secure erase commands, HBA is shown as locked even when the drive isn't locked with HDDERASE in DOS, Ubuntu HDParm gives an input/output error with the drive not being locked, Parted Magic doesn't boot and goes to fail-safe main text menu. That's where I gave up. Tried all of the above in IDE and AHCI modes. Seriously glad I didn't wait for the M5P if Plextor drives are this archaic and difficult to work with.

EDIT: Downloaded an ancient Parted Magic that worked and finally got the secure erase to work. Plextor needs to get off their behinds and make a proper tool to secure erase like everyone else.
    Last edited by Callsign_Vega; 08-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.

RAIDer
    Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    I got impatient while waiting for the M5P and I got in a 256GB Plextor M3Pro in to play around with. Not too impressed so far:

128 GB Vertex 4:

Not sure why the M3Pro has this low of results, I thought they would be higher. Certainly higher than a 128 GB Vertex 4. Another extremely annoying thing with this Plextor drive is no simple way to secure erase. With OCZ Vertex 4 you can use windows Toolbox or Linux boot up disk. I don't know what crack Plextor was smoking when they decided to make their Windows Plextool set to only secure erase "external drives". The Plextor HBA is locked and even DOS HDDERASE won't send the secure erase command. I guess I'll have to try Ubuntu HDparm. So far not particularly impressed with the $270 M3Pro.
    Do not look at the total score. Look at the individual scores. Then you will see that M3p wins where it counts

Read reliability :p

Banned
    OMFG this Plextor is a PITA. Time to do something basic like secure erase a SSD with the Vertex 4: 2 seconds. Time with the M3Pro, 4 hours and unsuccessful. Let's see, Plextor's "Plextool" is completely worthless and doesn't send secure erase commands, HBA is shown as locked even when the drive isn't locked with HDDERASE in DOS, Ubuntu HDParm gives an input/output error with the drive not being locked, Parted Magic doesn't boot and goes to fail-safe main text menu. That's where I gave up. Tried all of the above in IDE and AHCI modes. Seriously glad I didn't wait for the M5P if Plextor drives are this archaic and difficult to work with.
    I suggest you try to calm down and think clearly. Also, Parted Magic should be able to secure erase any SSD. If you cannot boot it, then it is hardly the SSD's fault.

I have a 256GB Plextor M3P and I have secure erased it several times during testing. It is straightforward enough, except for one thing (which is NOT unique to Plextor) -- if I boot my machine with the SSD connected, the BIOS sends a "freeze" command to the SSD, and when the SSD is frozen it will not accept a secure erase command. This is supposed to prevent a trojan infecting your system and erasing your SSDs, although it doesn't make a lot of sense, and I've seen several SSDs that do it. The reason I don't think it makes much sense is because you can also wipe an SSD quickly by TRIMming all sectors, and TRIM can be done even on a frozen SSD.

Anyway, what you need to do is boot without the SSD attached (or leave SATA attached but no power), and then attach (or power up) the SSD after booting. Or just power-cycle the SSD by unplugging the power, waiting, and then restoring the power.

I usually run linux when I am testing SSDs, so this is how I secure erase:

# hdparm -I /dev/sd_

That is not necessary, but it shows whether the SSD is frozen, which is useful to know if you are having trouble. You can also check if the SSD supports enhanced erase (the Plextor does).

# hdparm --security-set-pass NULL /dev/sd_

You can assign any password you like, but it is necessary to assign one before hdparm will do a security erase.

# hdparm --security-erase-enhanced NULL /dev/sd_

The password must match the one assigned previously.

And that's it. It takes less than 30 seconds for a 256GB M3P.

If you prefer a GUI, then parted magic should work (it just calls hdparm behind the scenes). If you explain your hardware setup and exactly the problem you are having with getting parted magic to boot, I may be able to give you some suggestions to try.
    Last edited by johnw; 08-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post
    Do not look at the total score. Look at the individual scores. Then you will see that M3p wins where it counts
    Agreed. Also, his sequential read and 4K-64 random write look low. Here is mine:

Xtreme Member
    Parted Magic has been able to SE every drive I've used it with except for one. That one drive was an ES drive and it was later fixed in development so you are good with Parted Magic. Also, every SSD will show as frozen if it's attached when you boot. Parted Magic will ask you to enter a sleep mode, just do it and hit your space bar to wake the system up. Go through the procedure for SE again and you are good. The longest it has ever taken to SE an SSD is about 1 minute and that was a thrashed 480GB.

As for the Barefoot 3 comment, yeah that one will be exciting as well. Hopefully OCZ has the money to spin their own silicon.

Xtreme Member
    As for the Barefoot 3 comment, yeah that one will be exciting as well. Hopefully OCZ has the money to spin their own silicon.
    That'll depend on if Seagate (or Micron by rumor) reaches a deal to buy Ocz, giving them a much needed cash infusion and access to vast validation resources. Ryan Peterson mentioned that they are prepared to borrow the production $ if need be. Tho overpriced atm...Ocz is ripe for the picking for a any major player to make a big entrance into the consumer ssd market.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Got my Plextor M3Pro OS drive working properly. I used the latest 11.5 and it said "this driver isn't guaranteed to work blah blah" and I forced it to install. Now the numbers are great:

No one should be using the C600 X79 Intel drivers those things are horrible.

hermitage Review Vol.169 PLEXTOR M5 Pro
    http://www.gdm.or.jp/review/ssd/plex.../index_01.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by UranusFX View Post
    hermitage Review Vol.169 PLEXTOR M5 Pro
    http://www.gdm.or.jp/review/ssd/plex.../index_01.html
    Those charts came from a special Plextor event held for Plextor VIP members that I attend in Akihabara.

Xtreme Member
    Until the M5Ps fw matures to work better with the new 19nm toggle, AnandTech doesn't think there's as much of a performance increase over the M3P as there could be.

"Despite not breaking any records, the M5 Pro is a good drive. Without any huge increases in performance via firmware updates however, the M5 Pro needs to be competitive on price. The M3 Pro wasn't priced as aggressively as it needed to be, but with the M5 Pro Plextor has another chance."

M5P AnandTech Review
    Last edited by Zaxx; 08-31-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post
    Until the M5Ps fw matures to work better with the new 19nm toggle, AnandTech doesn't think there's as much of a performance increase over the M3P as there could be.

"Despite not breaking any records, the M5 Pro is a good drive. Without any huge increases in performance via firmware updates however, the M5 Pro needs to be competitive on price. The M3 Pro wasn't priced as aggressively as it needed to be, but with the M5 Pro Plextor has another chance."

M5P AnandTech Review
    Man, sorry to hear that you guy's are getting ripped off there in the states. I can get a M5P for around "$220" and it comes with a 5 year warranty... A OCZ Vertex 4 is only a couple of dollars cheaper at around "$216" and it comes with a 3 year warranty only

Xtreme Member
    So far not particularly impressed with the $270 M3Pro.
    Compare how the M3P ran in comparison to my Vertex 4 on the endurance thread .... the vertex 4 was a lot slower, and lasted half as long.

The vertex 4 uses some special tricks to get such high scores ... which means it isn't a particularly good drive to give a good thrashing to.

Edit: I got a liteon LZT-128, which is very similar performance-wise to the M3P, but a lot cheaper here in Au. The Liteon S100 is a more direct clone of the Plextor M3P.

My 128gig drive result (on z77 chipset):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	as-ssd-bench LZT-128 16.07.2012 6-17-06 PM.png 
Views:	1208 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	129777
    Last edited by canthearu; 09-01-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    m5p doesnt perform as well as the hardware indicates it should. I assume this is because the hardware is all new, whereas the previous generation ssds are all old hardware with over a year of firmware tweaking done to them. I expect m5p to be much faster than m3p in one year. but will it get better fast enough to warrant buying it before something better comes out. that is the question.

I wish I could say that no one should buy it if the prices stay japanese-high. but there are not many good, fast, 5 year warranty 512gb ssds to choose from.

Xtreme Member
    I will know more about 20nm this time next week when I meet with some people closer to the action. When I saw IMFT 20nm at Computex and played with a working drive you could tell that it was a lot slower than 19nm. At Computex 19nm was ready to go and we have proof of that now with the P5 Pro.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see 20nm until 2013....but they are still saying 2012 as of right now.
    20nm Intel or Micron, on who's controller?
    You'll see it soon enough.. I can't wait for the nerd forum rage to commence.
    "Red Dwarf", SFF gaming PC
    Winner of the ASUS Xtreme Design Competition
    Sponsors...ASUS, Swiftech, Intel, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec, Razer
    Hardware..[Maximus III GENE, Core i7-860 @ 4.1Ghz, 4GB DDR3-2200, HD5870, 256GB SSD]
    Water.......[Apogee XT CPU, MCW60-R2 GPU, 2x 240mm radiators, MCP350 pump]

Banned
    The 128GB Plextor M5P is now available on newegg.com. The 256GB and 512GB are not yet on newegg.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zads View Post
    20nm Intel or Micron, on who's controller?
    You'll see it soon enough.. I can't wait for the nerd forum rage to commence.
    Lol, what is there to get angry about .... the longer it takes to get 20nm out, the better.

It will likely be a little slower then 25nm, have weaker endurance, and it won't immediately cause prices to drop further.

However, it won't be the end of the world either, as it will probably be a little bit more reliable then 25nm NAND, and will eventually allow for further price drops and the introduction of 1tb SSDs.

the 128gb ver is for sale at newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820249026

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150954

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-stor...-database.html

heres some ssd reviews the johny lucky has several of the m5 pro also you can preorder at ncix usa

Xtreme Member
    So are these plexor drivers any better compared to say a intel or OCZ or crucial SSD?

the one thing that has put me off SSD's is the high failure rate of some of them.
    Work/Gaming: i7-950|GB X58A-UD7|12GB Trident BBSE/XMS3|460GTX|WD 1TB BLK|Pioneer DVDRW|CM HAF-X|Win 7 Pro 64 bit|U2711|HX850|G500|G510
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    I protect my gskills like how i protect my balls
    Heatware: jimba86
    Bench:Custom Giga-bench|Win 7/XP SP3|WD 36GB Raptor|Dell 22|AX1200|MS intellimouse
    Bench 1:i7 930|water 2.0 performer|Gigabyte X58A-OC | 4GB corsair 1866 CL7|GTX 295 Quad SLI
    Bench 2:E8500|NHD14|P45-UD3P(2nd PCIEx16 slot broken.. )|2GB Corsair 8888 Cl4|GTX 260 SOC
    (Bench 3: In Progress) 4770K|F1EE|Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force| 4GB GTX1 /8GB Gskill TridentX 2666CL11 ney pro|5870 x3 on KPC tek9 slim 5.0/7.0
    Bench 4 E8600|NHD14|REX|2GB Corsair 1800 Cl7|Asus GTX 280
    Bench 5 (TBC): FX?|990FX-UD7|Gskill Flare 2000 Cl7|6970
    Server/renderbox: G3258|TT Water 2.0|Gigabyte Z87 Sniper M5|8GB Gskill Sniper 2133|gigabyte 5750|FD NODE 804

Banned
    Anything is better than OCZ when it comes to quality. OCZ has a long history of selling low quality SSDs with gimmicks to make them look good in reviews. Definitely avoid OCZ products.

Sandforce SSDs are also problematic historically. There have been numerous problems with Sandforce drives during the past few years, the worst being random crashing (BSOD), but there have been many other issues. The most recent problems are broken AES encryption and TRIM not working for months until a very recent firmware update (that may not have made it to all Sandforce SSDs yet).

But choosing a good SSD now is simple. The best value (good price, good quality, good performance) is the Samsung 830, and the best SSD (best quality and performance, 5 year warranty) is the Plextor M3P or M5P.

Here's Plextor's description of their preproduction and burn-in tests that they use to ensure quality:

http://www.goplextor.com/asia/index.php/ssd/m5-pro

With the M5Pro, Plextor has focused on developing and supplying one of the most stable drives on the market. To achieve this, extensive pre-production testing took place using the world’s most advanced SSD testing facilities - FLEXSTAR testing chamber. It was only when the design was able to pass strict enterprise-grade Zero Error standard of 400 units surviving 500 hours of the toughest continuous testing without a single error or failure that the drive was approved. To ensure stability and reliability for individual drives all drives undergo rigorous high-temperature burn-in tests and accelerated usage simulation testing.

Preproduction tested for professional use in Plextor’s state-of-the-art testing facilities. Rigorous operational and environmental tests resulting in drive with an impressive MTBF of 2.4 million hours.

48hr Sustained Read and Write Test
    Two days continuous 4K file read / write test, zero error pass requirement.
    4000 Times Idle Test–Sleep and Hibernation Test
    After 24 hrs read & write SSD enters sleep (S3) mode and is woken after 5 minutes, repeated for hibernation (S4) mode, zero error pass requirement.
    250 Times Power Cycle–Cold and Warm Boot Tests
    Continuous cold boot and warm boot cycles 250 times, zero error pass requirement.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast