Thread: Monoblock/HU input/output

Xtreme Member

Monoblock/HU input/output

I have looked high amd low for some anwsers but no one really knows what they are talking about in the car audio industry...i mean people keep saying the gain is not a volume knob for god sakes when the actual thing is a potentiometer. Anyways i wonder if any of you can help me out

I wonder about the purpose of dual rca left and right outputs for lfe pre outs in head units and monoblock amps, the purpose i mean does not make sense to me. (all home theatre are single mono cables from what i know) I understand that from a two channel perspective that the sub channel is diluted from the two front left and right channels low end frequency spectrum and they are summed together incase of left and right variations so why is there a need to split it at the pre outs. I can only assume its got something to do with power transfer or some kind of standards carried over before sub pre outs were even around and left and right pres were only available.

Another thing id like to add is my mono amp has two rca inputs and if you feed it with say the left pre out LFE channel to only one of the monoblocks inputs you get less SPL output than if you used a Y splitter to split the signal to both left and right. Now im assuming this is becuase the amp is internally bridged ?. Another thing is if i use both the pre outs on the head unit and connect them to both right and left main ins on the monoblock amp i get a even further increase in SPL output which i am assuming is becuase more voltage is being delivered yet again but i dont know why becuase i would have though the y split technique would be the same as theres no voltage drop when its a parallel circuit.

Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by [DANGERDAN]; 08-01-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, the gain really isnt a volume knob... Despite 90% of people using it as such
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Well, the gain really isnt a volume knob... Despite 90% of people using it as such
    Well it is and it isnt, it does use the same components as one that is used for changing the volume (variable resistor) its just its intentions were more for matching or balancing but then again its still adjusting the volume and only that so its not really anything else.