Thread: errors, bsods and more.

Xtreme Legend

errors, bsods and more.

I started getting the whole lot on the 3770K MVG samsung green combo

The trouble is I have made changes recently 7.0.25 to 7.0.28 in boinc for one and added a thermostat to the MOAF for another which is designed to run the water, and therefore the cores, up to 10 degrees hotter so up to 75°.

The Bsods have been reporting as code 50 which suggests a hardware or mem failure. The rig will give a computation error on at least one core if I try to open another app like cpu-z or opera.

Just did a quuick test of LinX 50 passes no problem even though this pushed the temps to 80° and looser ram timings has not helped nor has bumping cpu volts.

May have to take this one off WCG for a bit to get to the bottom of this...... Thoughts anyone?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Fanboy of Good Products
    Maybe a bug in the new boinc version?
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Run Memtest on it. Let it do a half dozen full cycles, the first one doesn't always pick up failing modules but repeated passes will provoke and show errors soon enough. If you can run it over night with no errors there's not much chance it's the memory system that's failing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    added a thermostat to the MOAF for another which is designed to run the water, and therefore the cores, up to 10 degrees hotter so up to 75°.
    Temp maybe? 10 degrees is alot

Xtreme Legend
    16 hours of memtest later and no errors.

The temperature chosen as a limit is water @ 25° initiates the fan which will run until temps drop to 20°. With hottest core running at around 50° hotter than water then I would not expect coretemp to exceed 75° unless ambient is over 24°.

I am not sure of this but I feel that I am either observing that the warmer the cpu runs then the higher the voltage that is needed to be stable OR I am seeing a certain amount of degredation of this cpu which is something that I saw with the 2600K too after a couple of months when a boost in volts has left it stable ever since.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I don't know much about the details of water cooling CPUs, but a 50 degree delta above water temperature sounds awful high to me. Is that right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Legend
    It was not always so ... This one is getting stripped down at the weekend or at least downclocked until I can get back to 10° hotter than SB.

Running 4.7 I have gone from 1.26v to 1.28v to 1.30v to 1.32v since owning this one. Hell, when ram testing I was LinX stable at 5.0 on 1.425 and cores between 90 and 95°.

I may even have to de-lid this if new tim does not fix it

Xtreme Legend
    5 hours of prime at 1.3v. Going to drop that some more.

Beginning to wonder if I need to fresh install Boinc or Windows maybe