Thread: Didi i photograph a Galaxy or Saturn?

Didi i photograph a Galaxy or Saturn?

So i went stargazing near Hyak, Snoqualmie pass, WA last night. I had my camera pointed NE cause little cloud cover. I took a lot of photos with my Nikkor AFs-G 35mm 1.8.

When i got home i opened them up and started increasing the shadow reduction and the exposure compensation and found something interesting in one of them.

This is the Original image. Look for a faded orange/brown spec in the bottom right

Don't see it?

Increased the White Balance

Increased the Shadow Reduction:
    Do you see a hazy orange brown spec in the bottom right?

Increased the Exposure Comp +1.0:
    How bout now?

Do you see that hazy object? Is that a galaxy or something like saturn?

I was point E/NE and i think saturn is supposed to be south of me? So i dont know what it is
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Cruncher
    WA? I am so jelly
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Devil kept pokin'
    Sorry about that. I'll get out of your shot next time

Xtreme Addict
    It does look like galaxy..
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Photo-on-the-net guys says its M31/Andromeda

I am stoked!
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Addict
    And lucky, hehe. Nice catch.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    One of the nerds on this forum ought to create a starfield tracking program that identifies things like this.
    2600K + Sabertooth + 560Ti

It may also be a nebula. I doubt that it is a Galaxy - I don't think it would appear that large in a handheld DSLR image. Most Galaxies are extremely far away save for the ones in our local group.

If you can note the date/time/location of this image, you can do some research to find out what was in that direction at that time.

If you have an Android phone, now would be the time to download Google Sky Map
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtremeish
    It looks exactly like a galaxy, and very similar to the one masterg mentioned a bit up, M31 "Andromeda Galaxy".
    Soulburner, you can acutally see M31 with the naked eye. Its the Galaxy that is closest to our own, and it's pretty large as well.

I looked it up on Stellarium as well, everything checks out, Location, Date/Time and direction of the camera. Probably is M31.
    http://www.stellarium.org/

Pic of the sky that you saw:
    http://kirkedam.mine.nu/kwk/Diverse/Star%20Chart%20.jpg

It actually isn't hard to catch these objects with todays DSLR's, all you need is a decent lens and more importantly good seeing conditions.

As far as planets go, they act very differently on our skies, and usually just appear as very bright spots, Jupiter is VERY bright and large, Saturn a bit less. Mars is fairly easy to spot as it has a redish glow. And you can with a cheap telescope see details on the surface on Jupiter and count it's largest moons.
    Last edited by Kallenator; 08-07-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Just as a (late) comment (to kallenator), indeed it is surely Andromeda, as you said. But date/time and direction of the camera are irrelevant here. Andromeda is absolutely static compared to the other stars. You clearly see most of the W of Cassiopeia, with two stars more or less in the trees.
    Good observation, anyway, because in the first pictures, I'm unable to see anything.
    Saturn is much brighter, and given the magnification that you have (in the bottom pictures), you would clearly see Saturn as a round, but well defined object, not hazy as Andromeda is.
    Watercooling since 2005. Primary requirement for any components in my system is 0db: no fans are allowed anywhere. All components are liquid cooled with passive convection. I do not overclock.
    The system is just completely rebuilt. If the only fan (PSU) starts to spin, I will cool it with 3M Fluorinert liquid.

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 (EK and Watercool.de waterblocks) - Core i7 3820 (EK Supremacy) - 4x4B Corsair Dominator 2133 (passive) - Gigabyte GTX 670OC (EK bloc) - Samsung 830 and 840 SSD 2x256GB - 2x WD 1TB Raid Edition (enclosed in Alphacool Silentstar dual drive liquid coolers) - Seasonic P1000 platinum 1000W PSU (no fan up to about 350W) - Eheim HPPS pump - HP LTO5 Ultrium tape drive (with self made large passive cooling block on ATTO H644 SATA3 controller - 2 Innovatek radiators for passive, fanless cooling of the liquid (and heating of my room) - 3 Fujitsu Siemens P19 displays on great Matrox TripleHead2Go - alle Innovatek cooling and tubing accessories.

Well, it would stand to reason its andromeda. It and the milky way are careering toward eachother for a colossal collision in like 2 billion years or something. That means that smudge will ever-so-slightly get bigger and brighter every day.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Sorry to disappoint you, Ket, but in all likeliness, it will not even be a collossal collision... It would be if we were talking about nebulae, composed of gas or other microscopic particles. These are everywhere, so many would hit each other, generating a lot of light and other radiation (hopefully illuminated by some stars in the neighborhood so that we can see something).

In this case, we talk about galaxies, and although both contain billions of starts, these are still so far apart the the likeliness of stars hitting each other is really low. Think about the (un)likeliness that the sun hits it's neighbor stars, at about 4 light years away: it is so unlikely that it will not happen. So the reality is that both galaxies will cross each other beautifully, but only very few stars will actually collide.
    Admittedly, still a nice event, if you're still around to see it...

See this one from Hubble, on Mashable.com:
    http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyM...40/Hubble3.jpg
    Watercooling since 2005. Primary requirement for any components in my system is 0db: no fans are allowed anywhere. All components are liquid cooled with passive convection. I do not overclock.
    The system is just completely rebuilt. If the only fan (PSU) starts to spin, I will cool it with 3M Fluorinert liquid.

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 (EK and Watercool.de waterblocks) - Core i7 3820 (EK Supremacy) - 4x4B Corsair Dominator 2133 (passive) - Gigabyte GTX 670OC (EK bloc) - Samsung 830 and 840 SSD 2x256GB - 2x WD 1TB Raid Edition (enclosed in Alphacool Silentstar dual drive liquid coolers) - Seasonic P1000 platinum 1000W PSU (no fan up to about 350W) - Eheim HPPS pump - HP LTO5 Ultrium tape drive (with self made large passive cooling block on ATTO H644 SATA3 controller - 2 Innovatek radiators for passive, fanless cooling of the liquid (and heating of my room) - 3 Fujitsu Siemens P19 displays on great Matrox TripleHead2Go - alle Innovatek cooling and tubing accessories.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    I doubt that it is a Galaxy - I don't think it would appear that large in a handheld DSLR image. Most Galaxies are extremely far away save for the ones in our local group.
    Hi M31 here, the M31 Andromeda galaxy is in our local group and that is most likely what the guy has captured IMHO, if you have very good eyesight and in a non light polluted area you can detect M31 as a slight smudge quite different from your usual star.

Nice one OP .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ce Singe is right too, nothing will really crash when our Milky Way and Andromeda galaxy get close, the space between stars is so massive they will pass through, get drawn back again, pass through, a few will collide and eventually we will become one hugh galaxy mutually attracted by each others gravity I reckon, but don't hold your breath, we wont see a difference in the entire species of Mankind or our solar system