View Poll Results: Which block will perform the best?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alphacool NexXxos XP3

4 2.68%
  • Bitspower Summit HF

3 2.01%
  • Danger Den M6

0 0%
  • DT Sniper or 5Noz

8 5.37%
  • EK Supremacy or Supreme HF

67 44.97%
  • Koolance CPU-370 Rev 1.1

13 8.72%
  • MIPS IceForce HF

3 2.01%
  • Swiftech Apogee HD

22 14.77%
  • Phobya UC1-LT

3 2.01%
  • Heatkiller 3 or XPSC Raystorm

26 17.45%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: Stren's 2012 CPU Water Block Roundup

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    If you are effecting water temperature, then of course you are effecting the water to cpu gap. The reasons you give of why not to measure ambient temperature directly apply to measuring the water temperature. It wouldn't be such a big deal had you not took a dig so hard at everyone else
    First off it's not clear if you or warmmilk meant cpu - ambient or pure cpu temps regardless of the ambient. I've seen both out there in a variety of reviews.

CPU temps will raise as the water temps raise. The delta should be maintained within a reasonably small error. I'm sorry if you took my comments personally, but feel free to correct me with reasons if you disagree. I would still argue that measuring vs coolant temperature is more accurate than measuring vs air. It removes unnecessary errors and variables that need not be there. I'm not trying to say that there are no effects, simply that those are smaller than those would be vs ambient. Also bear in mind that when you vary flow you're also varying your radiator performance too. If you haven't calculated that in when you measure vs ambient you quickly start measuring the system performance and not the block performance. Yes maybe you could get the same accuracy by perfectly controlling and measuring ambients and keeping your radiators clean and subtracting radiator performance vs flow. But even then, you would be more accurate if you measured vs coolant. If you can be more accurate, why would you choose to measure with less accuracy?

Personally I think cpu-coolant is the most accurate way to measure the block performance. However I also know from first hand experience that it isn't perfect. There are secondary effects such as cooling through the socket and common mode shifts with temperature due to presumabley poor cpu temperature linearization. Airflow blocked in a radiator will cause a shift in coolant temperature which will stack on top of any ambient variation. This can be minimized by oversizing your radiator and by minimizing ambient shifts. This is all much harder and needs to be much more tightly controlled when measuring vs ambient. That is my point, and I think your point is that if you control those well that you can still be accurate and this is true if fix the flow rate. But why not be more accurate?

As for issues of digging at others - that was not my intent. Ok maybe ignored was too strong word, and it seems like there might be some butt hurt going on, but if a reviewer is choosing to be less accurate when they could easily be more accurate then I have to question what else they are taking short cuts on. That's the point I was trying to make by saying that because there are plenty of reviews showing data at 0.1C resolution when their ambients aren't even measured but are "controlled' to an unspecified resolution and flows are not fixed. So if I've offended you then I apologize, but nothing you've said has convinced me or demonstrated that measuring vs ambients in the same setup is ever as accurate as measuring vs coolant temps.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So here's some data from my cpu testing showing the coolant - ambient temperature delta for two cpu blocks. This uses IX so TIM aging effects should be zero.

What do we see?

We see that ambients and coolants are not a fixed offset as would be implied if you believe that measuring vs ambient is equally good to measuring vs coolant.

The delta varies with flow, and they vary between runs. The run variance could be due to ambient changes or due to time (e.g. dust).

So you have to choose which one you compare your cpu temperatures to. Do you choose coolant or the ambient temps? The water block is cooled predominantly by water, I think we can all agree on that. Therefore it makes sense to use the water temperature rather than the ambient.

What this plot is really showing is radiator performance throughout my testing. For reference it's an XSPC EX560 with 2150RPM gentle typhoons. This low 3-4C delta means that the variance betwen ambient and coolant is low. A reviewer therefore who is not oversizing their radiator, or using low speed fans and is not fixing flow will therefore see much greater variance than I do here. Therefore for those reviewers its even more important to measure vs coolant temperatures if they want to hope to achieve and legitimately claim <1C accuracy in their data

Hi Stren,

Thank you once again for taking the time to post up this detailed review, it has helped no end in choosing a new block. Hence I have a Koolance cpu-380i making its way to me and I was wondering would you rotate the block 90 degrees for a i7 920 1366 socket cpu? I want to try this block out on my current rig before I upgrade my cpu in month or so.

Thanks in advanced.
    Sony 65HX923 & Watercooled TJ07 - Asus Maximus VI Formula/ i7 4770K/ Koolance 380i/ 830 & 840pro 256Gb SSD/ EVGA GTX 780 SC + EK SE block (1202Mhz/7300Mhz)/ 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz/ Auzen Forte/ EVGA Supernova 1000w P2/ PA120.4/ MCP35X/ Aquaero 5 XT/ AMD Fusion WHS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey Razor - for the 920 I honestly don't know the correct orientation as I haven't tested it. I believe that there was some data someone took about orientation on bloomfield but I'm not sure which direction is best!

Quote Originally Posted by stren View Post
    Hey Razor - for the 920 I honestly don't know the correct orientation as I haven't tested it. I believe that there was some data someone took about orientation on bloomfield but I'm not sure which direction is best!
    Stren - thanks for the quick reply, I will have a google about and see what turns up.

It wasn't really that important as I only plan on running the 920 for a few weeks as I am waiting on ivy-e to be released.

Edit: After a bit of googling it seems the best way to mount the 380 is with the koolance writing perpendicular to the memory slots to follow the contour of the die which makes sense.
    Last edited by Razor Time; 08-07-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Sony 65HX923 & Watercooled TJ07 - Asus Maximus VI Formula/ i7 4770K/ Koolance 380i/ 830 & 840pro 256Gb SSD/ EVGA GTX 780 SC + EK SE block (1202Mhz/7300Mhz)/ 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz/ Auzen Forte/ EVGA Supernova 1000w P2/ PA120.4/ MCP35X/ Aquaero 5 XT/ AMD Fusion WHS

koolance 380i installed and my cpu temps have dropped by 4c from my Swiftech Apogee XT version 1.0, flow rates are hugely improved which was expected. Overall I am pleased with the new block.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Time View Post
    koolance 380i installed and my cpu temps have dropped by 4c from my Swiftech Apogee XT version 1.0, flow rates are hugely improved which was expected. Overall I am pleased with the new block.
    Nice

Tnx stren for a great write write up. I noticed there is a phobya UC2 available - any idea how it performs?
    Q6600@900x4 vCore 1.425 Tload 65
    Ultra120Xtreme, Arctic Cool 12025 PWM fan
    ASUS P5K-Deluxe
    4 gigs RAM GSKILL F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK
    Foxconn 8800GTX, Lian LiA05B

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No not yet - I've been meaning to ask for one. Been busy trying to wrap up titan/780 block testing

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910