Thread: Another project; FR 10's

I am Xtreme

Another project; FR 10's

I needed something better than the Toshiba TV's anemic weak speakers. Since I moved that TV from the Den, to the living or front room, I need better sound. I already had the 819K so it was a easy choice. The wife put limits on what I could put in there so nothing monstrous was in the plans.

Unlike the Den, this room had painted-over paneling and wood floors. Nothing soft on the walls I have to measure it but I think is close to being a 20 X 20 feet square. Since I don't have measuring equipment, I tried my Big speakers from the den since they are the most flexible. The took up too much space but convinced me that I've got to get rid of the Tapestry and Carpet in the Den LOL! The Mach Ones were sweet but needed more volume to sound their best. The Sweet 10's was the best sound + Size for normal listening and caused almost no listening fatigue.

I tried some of small speakers and the room just sucked them up. Two way speakers used on my rear channel in my computer room and even two sets of Boom box satellite speakers. The Sweet 10's fit the sound needs but were too wide and she didn't want black speakers. Of course the Klipsch Heresy's desperately needed a Sub but also the wrong color and doesn't belong to me so I cant strip and paint them.

3 days of testing later and I picked what I wanted. No way in hell did I think they'd turn out this good.

With these FR 10's I built a Sub with a 10" Dual VC Pioneer 10" sub and Dayton 240W Plate Amp. Strictly a 2.1 setup, so I didn't need the two speakers to have to do the sub's job. One thing the Klipsch made clear was Mid Bass was a must. While they have excellent Highs and High Mids, the bottom end of the Mid-range was weak.

1 Cerwin Vega small soft dome tweeter.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Cerw...item4cfe8edab8

1 Pioneer sealed 5 1/4" mid-range speaker.

1 Polk/ESS (Esone) 10" Woofer that's very similar to this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Qu...item4cfe85c05e

400W Cerwin Vega 3 Way Crossover

3" belled to 5" Port tube and fill stuffed.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=269-165

3/4" Birch that measures 26 1/8 Tall, 16" Deep and 13" Wide. The a painted with white front panel. Finished the grills but the white gets dirty too fast. I will eventually change to silver grill cloth.

Pictures soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Sorry about this one guys I didn't mean to post this and skip-out! I'm back and will post pics of these excellent speakers. They more than exceeded my expectations. Even one of my Hi-Fi freak buddies copied these but used a Ribbon tweeter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aurum-Cantus...item2a292b219b
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Pics would be nice
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    3/4" Plywood, rough Pine on the bottom. Birch on the rest. The Speaker dimensions are 26" tall, 13" wide and 11 5/8" deep. The only thing I'm disappointed in are looks and they'll get new cabinets in October or Nov. I'll give my buddy a shout out but he doesn't want mention, LOL! I used the trusty 10" from Ebay (I'm NOT being paid no dame drop). My bud with more money and time, got the speakers and was impressed. Now one of these woofers cost more than two when I bought them. Good woofers yes but too expensive now.

The next thing I will do is build another or use wood veneer and make walnut, the wife already said no to Cherry and Black!

They sound wonderful and have to be heard to be believed. They sound like what the Heresy would sound like if it used speakers instead of horns. Woofer sound better in this ported box and roll off at about 30Hz and are just as efficient! Yes, the White grills has to go, you look at them hard and they smudge. The framing for them is made from Home depot Rulers :O

The Sub's Plate Amp Died for the second time The old one, same mode, is still kicking out booming sounds.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    What plate amp model are you using ???, I've been using a 500W O audio plate amp mounted externally for the last 4~5 years driving a 15" monster and its never missed a beat, watching little tom in Oblivion the other night with the sub turned up had my front door rattling
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    What plate amp model are you using ???, I've been using a 500W O audio plate amp mounted externally for the last 4~5 years driving a 15" monster and its never missed a beat, watching little tom in Oblivion the other night with the sub turned up had my front door rattling
    I was using the PE 240W amp. The older model of this one.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-803

I had larger amps and speakers but it seemed like a waste! I need more space. I also have a JBL 500 Watt Sub.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!