Thread: Need Suggestion for a Router

Xtreme Member

Need Suggestion for a Router

Hello Everyone,

I need a router that has a long range, and is able to handle many devices at the same time. I have a reasonably fast internet connection and do not want the Router to be the device bogging it down. I am right now considering this device,

http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/r20000g.html

As the reviews suggest, it seems to have a good range. Range is important to me. But at the same time, I do need it to be able to handle several devices at the same time. Desktop/Laptop/Cellphones etc. I am willing to spend reasonably on this as long as I can be sure to get a good device.

Thanks in advance.

the asus n900 would be my choice, it has long range, multi banding, and full ipv6 support.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    I see, after reading the specs that thing looks good on paper. Thanks. Maybe I'll wait for some more input and then place the order!

EDIT: I'm assuming you are talking about ASUS RT-N66U
    Last edited by kniwor; 07-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Don't have this model but based on my experience of running an older Trendnet router I would say take a look at their TEW-692GR maybe.

Years ago I picked the 633 for its range and have not been disappointed but then again my uses are not as extensive as yours

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    The TEW-692GR seems to contain 2dbi and 3dbi antennas, is that enough?

What kind of antennas does the ASUS router come with? Other things look good for all of them.

i am not sure on the antenas on the asus, they are removable and if you look at the reviews it has good range. at this point i would make sure to get one with full ipv6 support as ipv4 will be just about dead soon and you should have ipv6 at your house within the year if you have broadband service.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Asus rt-n66u

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i am not sure on the antenas on the asus, they are removable and if you look at the reviews it has good range. at this point i would make sure to get one with full ipv6 support as ipv4 will be just about dead soon and you should have ipv6 at your house within the year if you have broadband service.
    Thanks for the mention of ipv6. I knew it yet somehow I completely forgot to take it into considerations that ipv4 is soon gone.

I believe then that I will go with the RT-N66U. It is within my budget and seems to be the best suited one for my purposes.

Xtreme Member
    Update:

For the most part, the N66U seems to be working great, but I'm having trouble maintaining a smooth connection with my Ubuntu machine which wasn't a problem with the earlier router. Since I'm replacing the wireless adapter in the Ubuntu machine anyway, I'll post later if the problem persists with the new adapter. Thanks for all the help guys.