Thread: Asus Z9PE-D8 - very disappointed at Coolermaster

Memory Addict

Unhappy Asus Z9PE-D8 - very disappointed at Coolermaster

Hi guys, been a while since I posted here

Folks may have read that I was building a dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 rig with Asus Z9PE-D8 dual LGA2011 socket motherboard.

Anyway, I decided to try using 2x Coolermaster Hyper 412 Slim cpu coolers first but guess what the poor quality Coolermaster standoff broke off inside the motherboard cpu socket

Below photo shows the bottom left screw hole filled with the broken off Coolermaster standoff and just immediately above that is the broken off top head part of the standoff screw and further above that is an intact standoff to compare with.

I'm so mad right at Coolermaster. Anyone have any ideas of how I can get the broken off thread out of the motherboard's screw hole ?
    ---

Xtreme Member
    you can use a screw extractor or drill it out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts

Memory Addict
    Thanks endlesszeal, seems to be the consensus need to drill/reverse bit/extractor to do the job.

Thanks to Booj, he gave a good tip to remove the LGA2011 socket first so drilling doesn't damage the motherboard. Booj suggested the Rampage IV Extreme tool for LGA1366/LGA2011 socket switching, but I found a compatible tool in my tool box to first remove the LGA2011 socket before attempting to use a reverse drill bit.

---

Xtreme Mentor
    Smart idea to remove the retention bracket before trying to drill. One slip and the board would be fubar.

On another note, I have that cooler. I tried it on a 3930k, it doesnt do a very good job keeping the CPU cool. You'd be better off with a different cooler IMHO if the Xeon's run anywhere near as warm.

Memory Addict
    Thanks OC Nub, i think i should be fine as E5-2650 lower clocked and E5 series doesn't have much oc'ing headroom - this is a work rig I am building.

Good news is got that Coolermaster broken off standoff thread out of the LGA2011 socket. Coolermaster tech confirmed it's a defect and directed me to contact Australian distributor, rectron.com.au for RMA still haven't heard back from them though.

The pesky culprit

Thanks to Booj for the tip on separating and removing the LGA2011 socket from the motherboard !
    ---

Xtreme Member
    glad you got it resolved =)

i was thinking maybe you would want to remove the bracket but i wasnt sure how.

btw, what kind of work will this beast see?

Memory Addict
    Bracket seems to come off easily once you find the right tool to undo the 4 screws.

As to work it mainly for web/mysql database and multi-threaded work specific to my consulting work. Will also dabble in virtualisation stuff as I'm always setting up test servers for various tests/research.

i.e.

But will definitely set aside a disk for windows benching
    ---

Memory Addict
    Finally, my dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 server has been built with Asus Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard.

Had numerous delays due to back ordering of the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard as well as faulty Coolermaster Hyper 412 Slim LGA2011 standoff threads which broke off into motherboard's screw mount hole. Luckily, RMA replacement LGA2011 standoff threads arrived and I just noticed the broken off LGA2011 standoff thread box serial number is far apart and newer than the 2nd Coolermaster Hyper 412 Slim serial number and that both boxes have slightly different designed LGA2011 standoff threads.

• Left side - LGA2011 standoff thread from box with faulty broken off standoff and the RMA replacements also look like this
    • Right side - the older serial number boxed Coolermaster Hyper 412 Slim LGA2011 standoff thread.

Coolermaster Hyper 412 Slim LGA2011 standoff thread broken off.

Will be installing follow operating systems on this server build, Windows 7, CentOS 6.3 and Oracle Linux 6.3.

System Specifications
    • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 C2 (SR0KQ)
    • Asus Z9PE-D8 WS 0405 flashed to 0503 bios
    • 4x2GB A-Data 2000X Elpida BBSE based memory (temporary while I do initial testing then move to 8x4GB and 8x8GB configurations)
    • Sapphire HD5870 flashed to Asus bios
    • 60GB Gskill Phoenix Pro SSD (for initial testing)
    • Pioneer DVD-RW SATA drive
    • 180mm Silverstone Silent Blue LED 100cfm system cooling fan (REAR FAN1 Speed)
    • 1000W Antec High Current Pro Platinum 94% efficiency

Power-Mate Lite wattage meter measures power draw as follows:
    • Standby Idle = 6.8 watts to 7.8 watts
    • Bios idle with Fan Speed Control = Generic Mode = 276 watts
    • Bios idle with Fan Speed Control = Full Speed Mode = 281 watts

The 2x Coolermaster Hyper 412 Slims seem okay cooling wise according to in bios monitoring. The default fan speed control profile for Asus Z9PE-D8 WS is Generic Mode where cpu1 and cpu2 idle at 44C and 50.7C respectively in 24C room ambient temps and Coolermaster Hyper 412 Slim fans run in a push-push configuration at 730-770 rpm. When fan speed control profile is changed from Generic Mode to Full Speed Mode, the idle cpu1 and cpu2 temps drop from 44C to 39.7C and 50.7C to 44.7C and the fans jump to around 1690-1770 rpm.

CPU1 and CPU2

---