Thread: Most reliable hard-drive, period.

Most reliable hard-drive, period.

I am having an issue picking a hard-drive. I had a Samsung? Hitachi? I forget which, but at 1TB had all m important pictures, of kids, my dead grandfather, etc. I have the pictures, but it was a close call, and its bull that its dead before the warranty ended. Hearing all the nightmares with their RMA department, and knowing most companies just give you a refurb, I didn't even bother.

I've been looking at WD's enterprise line, $120 for a terabyte and 2TB is $250? Either way is decent if it lives up to the name and 1.2million hour claim. But, alas, newegg has negative reviews about DOA drives and receiving refurbs as replacements. Should I believe any of it?

Any ideas? I kinda want to give WD a shot with the 5yr warranty, but people where saying how you have to mail in the invoice from newegg? Sound about right?
    I build random things for fun.

Xtreme Member
    I had a Raptor drive, the 150gb variant. It died after about 3 years. It was an enterprise-class drive w/ a 5 year warranty. This was in 2009, I bought the drive in 06. I didn't bother with RMA, because having worked in data reecovery, I'm kinda data paranoid.

I replaced it with a Seagate, but after just 3 years it's showing signs too (unexplained slowdowns, extended load times, programs "forgetting" my preferences...). I almost wanna say Hitachi. When I was in data recovery, it was Seagate. But that was pre-2008.

The safest thing to do is to RAID with drives from different manufacturers, or offsite backup services.
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Xtreme Addict
    If your worried then yea just slap 2x drives in RAID 1 and be done with it

Xtreme Member
    I've always been loyal to WD, specifically the Caviar Blacks (5yr warranty). Keep in mind that any HDD can bite the dust at any given time, no matter the brand, quality, usage pattern...that's just the nature of the beast. Every brand is going to have good and bad user experiences which makes your storage I've had nothing but good luck with WD for years except for a Caviar Blue I have that is less than 2yrs old and just had it's first sector reallocation and is throwing an occasional error 11 in the event monitor and has been semi-retired to achieve duty via eSata dock.
    As mentioned above raid1 is always the safest bet. If you end up going raid0, for a couple extra dollars you can buy a little extra piece of mind by getting the 'RE' version (Raid Edition) WDs which is what I chose for my primary storage array. Fwiw, I still have 2 WD 74GB Raptors in raid0 I bought 7-8 years ago...noisy as hell and slow by todays standards but smart readings still look fantastic.
    Last edited by Zaxx; 07-21-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

Xtreme Member
    All drives fail, but, for me, WD fails the least and I've tried them all. Prefer the Black series or the RE for RAID arrays. ALWAYS have a backup for HDDs and SSDs!
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 3930K | Corsair H100 push/pull fans | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill DDR3 2133 9-11-10 CR1 | 2 x EVGA 680 SC+ Signature SLI | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - OS, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Games - backup WD HDDs | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200w | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

Xtreme Guru
    Prefer the Black series
    i agree. the only totally safe method is to have a separate copy on another machine. remember raid is NOT a backup. you can lose any raidset.
    Last edited by Computurd; 07-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Member
    Another piece of advice that has saved be some grief before...Always try to give a new HDD some 'break-in' time along with some stress testing thown in if possible before placing the drive in service. I remember reading somewhere that most HDDs fail either in the first couple of weeks/months or after ~3 years, so this advice made good sense to me. I ran all my WDs solo for 4-6 weeks with some stress testing as well before setting them up in raid.
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

I am a tad confused why anyone would rely on a 1.2million hour claim & 5 Year warranty with photos, buy yourself a $50 USB backup drive which all come with backup software, personally I store my pics offsite as well.

We run over 1000 dedicated servers in our facility and I can tell you now we get the same amount of failures from SATA to "Enterprise" SATA if anything the standard seagate single platter 500GB last longer then the ES.2 we have had in servers but with over 2000+ seagates running 24/7 with some going 3+ years we get maybe 10-15 failures though ours are all cooled at 21 degrees all year around so I guess that raises the question how hot does your drive get in summer?

RAIDer
    For me the (12) Seagate 15k.5 sasdrives is the most relieble drives. They are old now, but the refuse to die :p

Samsung f4 2TB and hitachi 7k3000 3TB is also very good. Non of them have died. I have over 20pcs of F4 and 8pcs of the 7k3000. All of them is from one of the first batches.

Xtreme Member
    In my experience most brands are ok these days.
    If you want safety, just go for a RAID with redundancy (1,5,6,etc) and / or a back-up of your disk. Preferably off-site.

Main Rig:
    - i7 2600k + Noctua NH-C14 - GTX 570
    - 16 GB RAM - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    - 1x 256GB Corsair Performance Pro SSD
    - 1x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD

Xtreme Addict
    I think this is almost a impossible question to answer in the relevant time frame. By the time we know what hard drive is (more) reliable there will be a new model to replace it. I've had and tested many HDD's from every manufacture, and it's hard to determine if one makes a more reliable HDD than the other.

This is what I do and it's not perfect in any way. Look at the customer reviews on Newegg and other such site. No matter what you'll see ppl saying DOA, or Died after 3 months on every HDD, just look for the one that has the least complaints about crapping out. It's a gamble but at least this way you're turning the odds of reliability in your favor.

And it's an absolute must that you have 2 or more copies of your important data. I always backup to a usb HDD, or a network server.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Addict
    I've had good luck with Enterprise drives from Seagate, both the Barracuda ES and the Constellation ES.2. Avoid their consumer drives at all cost, though. My Constellation ES.2s aren't the fastest drives on the planet, but they are bulletproof reliable. The fact that they're not incredibly fast is due to a setting in the firmware that ensure write quality (some sort of write verification). When I built my array, I ordered two extra drives to have as ready spares. Both are untouched to this day.

Always back up your stuff though
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

I have here multiple WD RE4 and RE3 based arrays. Not even one failed. With Seagate I experienced a stream of bad luck lately. Three consumer drives on rma, received one. Tested and sent to rma again. Failed at short and long dst.

Unfortunately, RE4 drives costs a LOT here in Brazil.

Xtreme Member
    People still use those antique spinny disk things?

Backup your data. Backup your data. Backup your data.
    I'm in the storage industry so I'm paranoid.
    Even my work laptop has 2 SSD drives in it- one as primary, the second as a workspace and backup image drive.

For home usage, a 60GB SSD would be enough to cover all the important data I don't want to lose (documents, pictures, etc).
    "Red Dwarf", SFF gaming PC
    Winner of the ASUS Xtreme Design Competition
    Sponsors...ASUS, Swiftech, Intel, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec, Razer
    Hardware..[Maximus III GENE, Core i7-860 @ 4.1Ghz, 4GB DDR3-2200, HD5870, 256GB SSD]
    Water.......[Apogee XT CPU, MCW60-R2 GPU, 2x 240mm radiators, MCP350 pump]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zads View Post
    Backup your data. Backup your data. Backup your data.
    Exactly ... there is no such thing as a reliable drive. Every spinning hard drive is one good knock from self destruction. Every SSD is one firmware bug away from destroying all your data. Every user is one bad hair day away from accidentally deleting or corrupting all their data.

Xtreme Member
    True story about that bad hair day bit... dang static electricity...
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Food for thought - if it's a storage drive that is not regularly written to, or has a relatively light workload, looking into SSDs might be a good idea. Since there are no moving parts, chances of a failure from being powered on day to day and read from are slim.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    Food for thought - if it's a storage drive that is not regularly written to, or has a relatively light workload, looking into SSDs might be a good idea. Since there are no moving parts, chances of a failure from being powered on day to day and read from are slim.
    But then you have higher risk of component failure, and higher risk of firmware bugs ruining your day.

SSDs, while fantastic, are not a solution to reliabile storage.

Xtreme Member
    Rules for HDD and SDD:

1. Backup
    2. Backup
    3. Backup dammit!
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 3930K | Corsair H100 push/pull fans | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill DDR3 2133 9-11-10 CR1 | 2 x EVGA 680 SC+ Signature SLI | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - OS, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Games - backup WD HDDs | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200w | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by canthearu View Post
    But then you have higher risk of component failure, and higher risk of firmware bugs ruining your day.

SSDs, while fantastic, are not a solution to reliabile storage.
    Depends. I feel that some SSDs are up to scratch for data storage. Samsung 830 springs to mind.

I am Xtreme
    +1 to back up / multiple copies on different HDDs

& +1 to WD Black or RE. Alternatively Hitachi Ultrastar. In the past I would have also recommended Seagate ES.2, but SG have reduced the warranty on their enterprise line, so screw them
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/