Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you are ever tired and driving.. PLEASE pull over.. We are lucky to have survived

Xtreme Cruncher

If you are ever tired and driving.. PLEASE pull over.. We are lucky to have survived

Hey guys,

Have had the hardest experience of my life last week. We have a small business refurbishing computers etc and were on our way home from Wisconsin last week. We have a bad habit of pushing to hard and my wife was driving and fell asleep at the wheel. We rolled somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 times off the side of highway 865 (no rumble strips here btw) with 121 PC's packed in an Astro Cargo Van. My wife got the brunt of it since we went down driver side first and the glass blew out all over her. She has 14 staples on the top of her head (no fracture thankfully!) stitches all over her face and her left arm and a fracture in her left eye socket along the nose which will require follow up surgery. Somehow I walked away with minor nicks and bruises. Being a small business and barely paying bills month to month and my wife's parents not having health care options she has no health care to speak of and we only had bodily injury coverage on OTHER people (If you don't have healthcare I suggest adding this to your auto policy!!) Out of the 121 PC's 10-15 MAY be resell-able as PC's the rest we are going to have to part out and try to recoup our investment... Another piece of advice, if you have alot of expensive cargo for business use you can get business insurance that covers cargo in transit. I didn't know this but it is a lesson learned... Anyway, if anyone can learn from our mistakes then posting this is worth it. You guys have been like family over the past 7 years and I would hate to see anyone go through this or something worse.

I am also thinking about writing letters to make rumble strips mandatory on our interstates... Not sure yet but its a thought..

Here are pictures of our Van for those that want to look:

http://jarrodchristman.com/van

Thanks for reading and I wish you all the best,
    Brandon
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

Ouch man! OUCH! Praying for a speedy recovery for your wife. If you haven't already I would go to a good chiropractor (both of you) and get checked out. You both got banged around. I emphasize a GOOD chiro because there are a lot of bad ones out there unfortunately who are quacks and give the good ones a bad name.

Rumble strips may not always help though. Friends of mine were heading home, long trip, and she fell asleep at the wheel. Drifted right, hit the rumble strip which woke her up and jerked the wheel left too hard and ended up flipping their vehicle across the interstate. Soo... yeah, the strips don't always help.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Thanks for sharing and I hope your wife recovers quickly, glad there was no loss of life.

Charles
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

I am Xtreme
    Thanks for sharing.

I wish you and your wife a fast recovery.
    Cruncher #1: Asus Z68 pro | i7-3770K @ 4.6 | 16GB Ram |Gigabyte Windforce GTX580@930
    Cruncher #2: Asus B75 i7-3770K @ 3.6 | 4GB Ram - new
    Cruncher #3: Acer i3 laptop - just on and of.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Thank God no one was killed..
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looking at the van I am glad nothing worse happened than you described.

I hope your wife recovers quickly!

3770K 4.7Ghz 1.32v / ASUS P8Z77-V PRO / 8GB DDR3 1866 9-9-9-27 /ASUS HD7970 1025MHz / Antec NeoHE 550 / Samsung 830 256GB Crunching
    Cooled by PA120.3, EK-HF, D-tek Fuzion GFX, DDC3.1 XSPC res/top

i5 2400 Stock / ASUS P8P67 LE / 4GB DDR3 1600 / Seasonic S12II 430W / Intel G2 40GB Crunching

2600K 4.6Ghz 1.34v / ASUS P8Z68-V PRO / 8GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 / Antec 430W / Intel G2 80GB Crunching

W3520 4.0Ghz 1.19v / Rampage II Gene / 6GB Kinston Value 1333 / 9800GT / Corsair TX650 / Antec mini P180 / Intel G2 160GB Crunching

Intel G860 Stock / Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 / 4GB DDR3 1333 / Antec Earthwatts green 380W / Crucial M4 64GB Crunching

E6600 3.2Ghz 1.36v - P5B Deluxe / i7 930 4.0Ghz 1.29v - ASUS P6X58D-E / Q9450 3.6Ghz 1.28v - Rampage Formula Retired

Xtreme Cruncher
    I can understand when I went to NY we drove to Boston at past midnight, it was one of the toughest trips I have ever done.

The problem is that the Interstate is a long straight with some soft curves in the mix, there is nothing to keep your attention. We had to sing, play stupid games, stop and walk around and do a million things to be able to drive without failing in the arms of morpheus. Until that time I always wandered how in hell people fell sleep driving, in that trip I understood why.

I'm used to other kind of freeways, where you don't have a chance of stop thinking, because there is a pot hole a curve , s driving, elevation changes and my cars usually are manual.
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry to hear this, but glad to hear you guys survived
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I learned this one a while ago.
    As a first year apprentice the pay was abysmal, so I got a part time second job at a servo (gas station) on the night shift. One Friday I got up at 0500, worked my normal shift, came home and had dinner then went and did night shift. Since it was dawn when I finished I went home, had a shower and rode over the mountains to Sydney (state capitol, about an hour and a half trip in heavy highway traffic) and met up with some friends. We kicked on till everyone went home at about 2AM Sunday morning so I followed suit and rode back over the mountains. To this day I still have a blank in my memory of a 5 km section of road through a town and part way down the mountain. I woke up in my own lane half way down the mountain pass but having ridden about 3 miles more or less in my sleep. It scared the crap out of me!
    I've done long distances since, but never when sleep deprived.

Brandon, I'm glad nobody was killed in that mess. Somebody could easily have been and I'm sure you're well aware of that. Take care of the missus, you're both probably pretty rattled.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Thankfully no one was seriously hurt. A little prayer that your wife fully recovers. I think there are probably many stories like yours from members here. I fell asleep at the wheel in the wee hours of the morning on the Fl. turnpike coming home from a tournament. At 70 MPH with the cruise control on I started to drift off the road to the right. Fortunately this road had rumble strips and I awoke looking at a concrete piling supporting an overpass. I didn't even have time to step on the brake. I just yanked the steering wheel to the left and missed the piling by maybe a foot. Thankfully there were no other cars coming and I was able to not lose control of the car. If I had awoken even a split second later, I probably wouldn't be able to tell my story. I pulled off the rode and just started bawling. My wife and infant son kept flashing in my mind. Thank God for small miracles because I believe in my heart that's exactly what this was.
    Last edited by nanoprobe; 07-17-2012 at 01:37 AM.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

c[_]
    I know that one all too well...

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Oops

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwhgads6680 View Post
    I am also thinking about writing letters to make rumble strips mandatory on our interstates... Not sure yet but its a thought..
    Sorry to hear about the injuries. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Those rumble strips have definitely saved my life a few times. Since you typically fall asleep in the right lane and it's normally sloped toward the shoulder you'll naturally veer into the rumble strips when you fall asleep.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Addict
    20 years ago I fell asleep at the wheel and jumped a curb on a highway that had a large grass divider. Put a dent in my (at the time new) truck and scared the living crap out of me.

I'm glad everyone came out alive and safe Brandon. A lot of people don't believe in a higher power but man, that could have turned out a lot worse so easily.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    Boy I hope you guys recover fast. Sorry to hear about this. Glad you guys are both alive.

I pushed my limits last night too. I worked at the office from 8am to about 10:30am then headed out to work on site for a client until 11pm. Then I had to drive about an hour home. I did miss my exit and I there is a good few mile warning and I never even saw any signs for my exit. I was pretty tired but I made it home. Today I slept in and I told work that I won't be in the office in the mornings while working on this project.

Hopefully you guys will recover soon. My thoughts are with you guys.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hi all thanks so much for all the well wishes and responses. We are doing ok, my wife's surgery is going to be Monday and she is excited to get it done with. She is such a strong person and truly my inspiration and motivation to keep going. She was making office space stapler jokes while they were putting her staples in! I am back in Dayton and going through the PC's and salvaging what I can from the load of PC's. Thanks again you guys made my day today.

Edit: I will Let you guys know how things go and keep you all up to date. I understand both sides of the rumble strips thing and that is why I am on the fence... I do think it would have been enough just to bring my wife's eyes back to the road but its so hard to say, and I can see it causing an accident far worse especially if it involves other vehicles. I am just so thankful that we are both going to be ok... its just not worth it to push yourself that hard and from the sounds of your guy's response you all have had close calls and any one of those could have been as bad or worse than what we went through. I just hope that those around us can see our example and realize that its just not worth it and pull over, get the hour or 2 cat nap etc or even call it a night. Anyway, I really appreciate you all sharing your stories and I am glad all of you are here to tell them!

Take care will be in touch,
    Brandon
    Last edited by Fhqwhgads6680; 07-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Xtreme Legend
    Best wishes for a full recovery to you both.

There have been times when I drove tired for a living...in my youth in the forces. It got so bad one time that taking a break I sat on my toolbox on the side of the road and just fell asleep there. In later years I have woken when the tyre was riding the side of the pavement kerbstone and this in regular commuting traffic. Now I just don't plan journeys for times when I could be tired because I know my ability to stay awake is diminished...in fact I probably over estimated that ability all the way to age 50.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Fanboy of Good Products
    Glad you're ok. My dad drives a lot for work and a buddy of mine suggested to him eating sunflower seeds when he's sleepy. It really works so keep a pack in your car just in case.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    Glad you are okay!

I never fell asleep at the wheel, but about 10 years ago me and a buddy left a LAN party around 5AM. We were up for over 24 hours and running on pizza, wings and mt dew. When we got home, we were questioning our judgement of the lights we went through (about 15+). We swore they were all green...we will never know lol.

Sucks that you lost your equipment. Maybe try seeing if the insurance company will offer any reimbursement? It may not be the full amount, but I'd imagine any amount will help you out.

As for rumble strips, I know of a few highways in the St. Louis metro area that do not have them as well. The interstate highways have them, but once you start moving towards the suburbs...they disappear unless they were recently redone.
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeldoran View Post
    Glad you are okay!

I never fell asleep at the wheel, but about 10 years ago me and a buddy left a LAN party around 5AM. We were up for over 24 hours and running on pizza, wings and mt dew. When we got home, we were questioning our judgement of the lights we went through (about 15+). We swore they were all green...we will never know lol.

Sucks that you lost your equipment. Maybe try seeing if the insurance company will offer any reimbursement? It may not be the full amount, but I'd imagine any amount will help you out.

As for rumble strips, I know of a few highways in the St. Louis metro area that do not have them as well. The interstate highways have them, but once you start moving towards the suburbs...they disappear unless they were recently redone.
    I tried looking at our home owners... Will only cover $250 worth... which is basically pointless. I should have Business insurance but since we are such a start up we are just paying the bills we have.. Lessons learn that's for sure.

I did want to let everone know I have Core 2 Duo CPU's (E8200 E6550 and E6300) in the FS Section. I also have a ton of DDR2 up in the FS Section.

I also have HP workstations that had Opteron 1212 Dual Cores with ECC ddr2 Ram. These are standard ATX Motherboards, with a heatpipe hsf. I thought about doing a special deal for the Mobo, Ram, CPU w/ HSF, and the PSU (also standard ATX) for you guys. I know they aren't the most efficient cpus but if you guys need to do a build on the cheap I could do a good deal. Would anyone be interested in that? These also had Vista Business COA's and if anyone wanted I could mount it back in the case so you can have the license. Most of the front panels got destroyed so it would be a bit of a franken PC but I could do that very cheap. I also have enough ram from machines that got completely mangled to do 7 with 4GB of RAM.

I also parted out alot of the Lenovo's that I got that were M57's. I saved alot of these MOBO's because they have the q35 chipset and support nearly all of the core 2 quads even the 12mb 1333mhz versions. If anyone would be interested in these let me know I also have the Heatsinks clamps etc saved but these are not a standard form factor. I also saved the DELL GX 755 boards and these support C2Q but only the q6600 and q670.

I also have alot of Optiplex GX 370's that are dual DVI (basically a dumbed down 8600GT).

I also have a TON of Optical drives, all SATA, I have DVD-RW Lightscribes, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM CD-RW, and just plain CD-ROMs.

And lastly I have a ton of 80GB SATA HDD, and a few 160GB SATA HDD.

I would rather you guys get some of this stuff and it go to the team, so if you need something let me know. Out of the 121 Computers I have 20-23 that are resellable but will be scratch and dent deals. Most all of these had Vista Business. I can do these for your guys at the best deals I can do.

My Wife goes in on Monday at noon to pin the fracture in her eye socket to keep her eye from sinking as it heals... Hoepfully after that we'll be able to start returning to some kind of normalcy.. I'm just so thankful she is ok.. Don't take the time you have for granted!

thanks guys!
    Brandon

c[_]
    What prices are you looking at on the HDD's and GX370's? My buddy down the street runs a PC refurb business so if he's in need of something i'll let him know the prices. He might be able to use some of the core2duo's and ram as well..

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey thanks for your response. If buying 1 HDD I'd probably need $15 just because priority mail is really the only option and that starts at $5 to ship. If he needs multiple I could probably get down to $9-$10 a piece.

For the fx 370's I could do $15 shipped for 1 or down to $10-12 for multiples.

As with anything I need to move this stuff yesterday... so If people need stuff let me know. And if the parts are going to a new cruncher I'll do the best deals I can, I would love to see some of this help the team.

If people are interested, I could do the Opteron, mobo, 4GB ram for $40 shipped and add the PSU for $10. These boards have onboard video, pci-express 16x pci-e 1x, and 2x PCI it has 4x sata ports.

Just let me know.

Thanks!
    Brandon

I'm wishing I had a need for some of these parts but I really don't...
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

c[_]
    i'll relay the info, thanks.

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    Best of luck to the wife on Monday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast