Thread: Samsung Galaxy S3 question

Administrator

Samsung Galaxy S3 question

I just upgraded to one of these phones from a Samsung Galaxy Epic 4g and I love it, very sexy phone with a lot of nice new features.

But it does have a few things I am not crazy about.

When you look at the Gallery to view pictures/movies they show as thumbnails with no borders around each picture. Its just row after row of thumbs with no space between them. Also folders show up as a thumb with a small name, folder icon and number of files inside.

Is there a app/mod that can show the Gallery like how it was on the Epic 4g ?

Next thing is when I plug my phone into my main rig via USB cable and open the DCIM folder to copy out pictures all I can see in generic icons for each picture. That makes it hard to see what pictures I just took. On the Epic 4g I could see actual thumbs of each picture.

Is there something that can be done to show the thumbs ?

There is also Kies now that shows thumbs but I would really like it to show picture thumbs in the folder so I can just copy them out easy.

Thanks for any help

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

As for connecting via USB, I don't really know if there's a way to fix it. IIRC, Android has its own separate directories for holding thumbnails, so it loads the thumbnail directory and, when you tap that, it'll load the actual picture.

(I'm on a Galaxy S-II Epic 4G Touch; Sprint very recently rolled out the ICS 4.0.4 upgrade.)
    Last edited by Bobsama; 07-15-2012 at 08:50 AM.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Administrator
    Thanks Bob. That app looks pretty good.

Xtreme Member
    I don't know if any of you who have the s3 have seen yet, but i noticed on the s2 there is a usb mode, so when you plug it into pc, your internal mem and external sd card shows up on files, yet the s3 doesn't have this? Is called something else?
    i7-3770k / Maximus V Extreme / G.Skill Trident X 2400 2x4gb 10-12-12-31-2N / 2x Sapphire 7970 Dual X OC / 4x Samsung 830 128GB / Corsair HX1000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    just for some variety, the Nova and GO launchers are nice too.
    NOVA
    GO Launcher EX

Xtreme Member
    I'm looking to buy this phone tomorrow. Does anyone know if it will it be possible to update it to Android OS 4.1 when it hits? Like, without rooting the phone. Or does it HAVE to have 4.0?
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
    I'm looking to buy this phone tomorrow. Does anyone know if it will it be possible to update it to Android OS 4.1 when it hits? Like, without rooting the phone. Or does it HAVE to have 4.0?
    the real one should have 4.1 soon, the US one with the snapdragon will get it eventually.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    snapdragon? And what's the difference between the US and the international S3?
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Xtreme Addict
    Samsung had announced they plan to have Jelly Bean (4.1) out on the S3 by year end ( they mentioned Q4) so pending on your carrier I'd expect to see it late this year to early next year. Nothing stops you from rooting and doing so sooner however (still waiting on a stable version myself however) Cynogen Mod 10 is in the works and they have nightly builds available now ( they aren't functional enough yet to use 24/7 though )

As per the US vs International, the US varrient uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (Krait) system on chip which is a dual core a9/a15 derivative with an andreno 225 gpu and 2GB of RAM along with a LTE modem where as the International uses Samsung's Exynos SoC which is a quadcore a9 with a mail 400 gpu and 1GB RAM and HSPA+ (the recently released South Korean version has LTE support now and this varrient may trickle into other markets later in the year)

The largest difference between the 2 is the LTE and gpu. On the cpu side the S4 holds its own in real world usage ( depsite the dual vs quad deficit) and as it stands Android isn't threaded enough to really work more than 2 threads but this can and will change down the road no doubt. If you multi task a lot a quad will pull ahead as well just as in a desktop. The mali 400 is quite a bit stronger than the andreno and pending your network, LTE would be prefered so there are pros and cons to both. Personally I've been quite happy with my qualcomm varrient ( still waiting on LTE to launch in my area however )
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 07-31-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kessian View Post
    I don't know if any of you who have the s3 have seen yet, but i noticed on the s2 there is a usb mode, so when you plug it into pc, your internal mem and external sd card shows up on files, yet the s3 doesn't have this? Is called something else?
    Not sure what you mean really.
    Yes you can plug the S3 into a USB and see everything as files.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Buckeye he is talking about the option for USB Mass Storage. Where you plug the phone in and it unmounts the sd card from the phone and allows windows to mount it. The Galaxy S3 doesnt do this by default. It uses MTP (media transfer protocol), there are some restrictions with this. MTP tends to hang sometimes. But there are ways around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Quote Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
    snapdragon? And what's the difference between the US and the international S3?
    the US has a dual core a15 qualcom cpu and qualcom has not finalized and published the drivers/kernel, the international has a samsung quad core that is basically the nexus with more cores so it is almost done it is just waiting on the samsung UI. the international unlocked is supposed to have an official update soon but the US is q4 or q1.

Quote Originally Posted by Planet View Post
    Buckeye he is talking about the option for USB Mass Storage. Where you plug the phone in and it unmounts the sd card from the phone and allows windows to mount it. The Galaxy S3 doesnt do this by default. It uses MTP (media transfer protocol), there are some restrictions with this. MTP tends to hang sometimes. But there are ways around it.
    MPT dose not work well with any OS (mac, windows, lunux) but it dose allow for files larger than 4GB and linux partitions on the SD. maybe there is a 3rd party app that works better that i do not know about though.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    My mate uses his S2 at work to transfer files to and from his phone using USB mode (it is actually an option) to allow you to see the files, like what Planet said. Flipping MPT on still doesn't do anything with the work computers (win XP) but does work at home (Win 7).
    i7-3770k / Maximus V Extreme / G.Skill Trident X 2400 2x4gb 10-12-12-31-2N / 2x Sapphire 7970 Dual X OC / 4x Samsung 830 128GB / Corsair HX1000