Thread: Web Browser Grand Prix: Chrome 20, Opera 12, Firefox 13

I am Xtreme

Web Browser Grand Prix: Chrome 20, Opera 12, Firefox 13

It includes the horror known as Internet explorer and Apple's Safai.

The test is from july 5th.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...a-12,3228.html

How do the latest Windows 7-based Web browsers stack up? Chrome and Firefox each have three wins under this operating system; can one become our champion? Or will Opera clean house here, as it did under Windows XP? We set up a new test system to find out.

Our Core i5 test system was upgraded from Intel's old Lynnfield design to a more modern Sandy Bridge-based chip, and the Radeon HD 4870 was recently replaced by a Radeon HD 7770. The benchmark suite also receives significant upgrades. We're removing five of the older benchmarks, adding ten new ones, and implementing composite scores for nearly every category of testing.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Guru
    Huh, looks like IE actually deserves some credit now.

I wish these tests would also include Maxthon. I think it's pretty comparable to chrome speed wise, but has a lot of nifty features not to mention google doesn't know everything about your search history lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    Don't you know google is already in the drinking water

IE is getting better but I still only use it when forced to by lame corporate web sites that still code for it. Opera is my number 2 at the moment. Chrome is just starting ...

For those using firefox and wanting to see a breakdown of memory usage of the browser type "about:memory" to the address bar. If you don't see anything you need to run a newer version of the browser.

Also there's a web site the tracks firefox's memory usage. https://areweslimyet.com/

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

why is memory usage of any importance now? and i do not see how chrome and safari are high in security, webkit based products are generally the ones who give way to much information. accept tracking that they should not, and tend to allow access to the HDD through HTML5, and plug ins like flash, adobe reader. chrome also phones home alot with things like history and usage that it should not.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    why is memory usage of any importance now?
    Because people tend to stick to their old adages regardless of what the facts are.
    Last edited by safan80; 07-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.

i dont think opera 12 should be used for this. its been out a week and theres alot of bugs and issues that wont be fixed til next update
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterg View Post
    i dont think opera 12 should be used for this. its been out a week and theres alot of bugs and issues that wont be fixed til next update
    I don't even know why they released it as a final version the way it is, I've been using Opera for almost 10 years, and was forced to go back to a older version for the first time after upgrading to 12 and experiencing so many problems,

memory usage for me is important in some situations,

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For a second i thought the "Grand Prix" was about who gets to have the highest version number out

Considering that, unless Mozilla realizes their current numbering scheme is as ridiculous as Chrome's and changes it, we'll have Firefox 26 by the end of 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrobozo View Post
    I don't even know why they released it as a final version the way it is, I've been using Opera for almost 10 years, and was forced to go back to a older version for the first time after upgrading to 12 and experiencing so many problems,

im still using 11.52 because of so many changes that i don't agree with, in particular the address bar. now add the icons, memory, stability, unite, and opera_plugin_wrapper bugs and its a mess
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

Xtreme Member
    I'm using 12.50...
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    Considering that, unless Mozilla realizes their current numbering scheme is as ridiculous as Chrome's and changes it, we'll have Firefox 26 by the end of 2013...
    the reason Mozilla adopted their new versioning system was because consumers equate bigger numbers with superiority.

until that fact of human perception changes, they'll be keeping their system

I am Xtreme

Add more ram it's cheap now a days.

So what's the problem with version 12? It runs like version 11.5 for me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    the reason Mozilla adopted their new versioning system was because consumers equate bigger numbers with superiority.

until that fact of human perception changes, they'll be keeping their system
    Yeah, develop your products by the lowest common denominator, I'm sorry to say but that's BS.... I may hate Apple, but I actually love the fact that they simply don't give a f*ck, they're gonna release what they're gonna release and "force" the lowest common denominator to adopt it as well; for example without Apple's ballsiness we would still have feature phones and tiny resolutions on the desktop...

Shame on the Mozilla guys, I used to like them...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevethegreat View Post
    Yeah, develop your products by the lowest common denominator, I'm sorry to say but that's BS.... I may hate Apple, but I actually love the fact that they simply don't give a f*ck, they're gonna release what they're gonna release and "force" the lowest common denominator to adopt it as well; for example without Apple's ballsiness we would still have feature phones and tiny resolutions on the desktop...

I disagree. Apple may have helped push the market, but I highly doubt that the market would have stagnated without Apple.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Stevethegreat View Post

you do know that the iphone was a marketing campaign with a capacitive screen. windows mobile was better in every way but HTC/moto did not get the kind of subsidy that apple did, so they could not use a capacitive screen and get it to the consumer for $300. the entirety of the iphone was 1) to market it as a feature phone with apps and internet (what it really is), and 2) get a screen that was not resistive. the only ballsiness involved was to pay ATT to let them have a 1st party app store and not go through the carrier.

and apple is entirely on the lowest common denominator, they offer 2 options for laptops, one ultrabook, and 2 desktops. they have always tried to stop 3rd party programs and only work with second party devs, they market as it just works, it dose not get viruses (lawsuit city now for that one,) and try to ban hardware upgrades. if there was a computer that was designed for rednecks and grandmas it would be the mac since OSX. /rant
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post

Opera 12 has been running like a champ for me.

Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post

they are removing their users servers such as Unite. IRC is being removed, bit torrent is being removed. the HTML5 is having alot of issues. alot of pages arent running correctly. Icons now scale drastically with added tabs. 10+ tabs cant see the icons anymore. address bar issues where you cant find bookmarks or history still exist, favicons don't exist in the same setting as being able to see address bar crap. alot of other things if you go to their forums

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterg View Post
    they are removing their users servers such as Unite. IRC is being removed, bit torrent is being removed. the HTML5 is having alot of issues. alot of pages arent running correctly. Icons now scale drastically with added tabs. 10+ tabs cant see the icons anymore. address bar issues where you cant find bookmarks or history still exist, favicons don't exist in the same setting as being able to see address bar crap. alot of other things if you go to their forums
    and more than once I had opera_plugin_wrapper fully loading one core of my CPU without anything being used on opera,

adding more memory is cheap, but better utilizing the available memory is even cheaper for me,
    also if you use a 32bit OS you really don't have a huge amount available (using a ramdisk pagefile helps, but...), it's not uncommon for me to see Opera using high amount of ram even after closing all the tabs.

and more than once I had opera_plugin_wrapper fully loading one core of my CPU without anything being used on opera,

adding more memory is cheap, but better utilizing the available memory is even cheaper for me,
    also if you use a 32bit OS you really don't have a huge amount available (using a ramdisk pagefile helps, but...), it's not uncommon for me to see Opera using high amount of ram even after closing all the tabs.
    my computer at work has 15 instances of Opera_Plugin_wrapper open in memory and they wont close. they have been open for a week even though opera claims they are automated to close after 2 minutes.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    you do know that the iphone was a marketing campaign with a capacitive screen. windows mobile was better in every way but HTC/moto did not get the kind of subsidy that apple did, so they could not use a capacitive screen and get it to the consumer for $300. the entirety of the iphone was 1) to market it as a feature phone with apps and internet (what it really is), and 2) get a screen that was not resistive. the only ballsiness involved was to pay ATT to let them have a 1st party app store and not go through the carrier.

and apple is entirely on the lowest common denominator, they offer 2 options for laptops, one ultrabook, and 2 desktops. they have always tried to stop 3rd party programs and only work with second party devs, they market as it just works, it dose not get viruses (lawsuit city now for that one,) and try to ban hardware upgrades. if there was a computer that was designed for rednecks and grandmas it would be the mac since OSX. /rant
    It's a strange position to be in, to seemingly have to defend Apple. What Apple has (and others don't) is a sheer force of persuasiveness. With such power they made few great things and even (a lot) more bad ones. Most of their computers are the lowest common denominators, overpriced cr*p, but they choose that to be so (for whatever reason). They don't do so following the market (qute the opposite in fact).

Their "ballsiness" lies in the fact that they would bully their way around to get what they want. It often lead to catastrophe and gave them their much deserved vilification, *but* it also lead to the modern smartphone, to the death of music industry as we knew it, to the high resolution desktop TFTs (starting with Apple 30' screen).

It's not that a single of those ideas are/were their own, quite the opposite they're quite shameless in stealing others' idea and do so w/t shame or regret; it is that they would *force* the world to look at them and if their idea happens to be a good one then they do what nobody can, aggressively push innovation. Of course when it's cr*p, then Apple is merely one more bad company out there selling snake oil, but then again most OEMs on the desktop were like that to begin with.

I don't like spineless, sheep like companies like Mozilla and Microsoft, I like those who take risks even if it involves bullying and/or general stupidity. I like that in both Google and Apple, despite their obvious "evilness" in other things...

And it's not that we wouldn't have the mouse, the mp3 player or indeed the smartphone without Apple, it's only that we would have them in a lot different form and in later era. In the end it's the unlikable (almost evil) people like Edison and Jobs that move the world forwards, NOT the Woz*s* and Tesla*s* of this world...

/end of the of topic (sorry)

I'm curious if they ran Opera 12 with hardware acceleration enabled to see how it compared. I know the Opera devs said it ships disabled because it's not always faster, but I'd be curious to know what the difference was like since it does have support for WebGL and HTML5 HW acceleration.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.