Thread: Galaxy Nexus pulled from Google Play store

Galaxy Nexus pulled from Google Play store

From the BBC:
    Samsung has had to stop selling its Galaxy Nexus smartphone in the US after Apple paid a bond, bringing a court-ordered ban into effect.
    The Next Web reported that Google now planned a software update to its Android system to circumvent the ban.
    Google handed models out to developers at its recent I/O conference in San Francisco and had intended it to be the first phone to be offered the Jelly Bean Android update.
    • the use of a single search interface - such as Siri - to retrieve information from a range of systems using a number of techniques
    • the use of a sliding gesture to unlock a touchscreen device
    • a text input interface that tries to anticipate which words the user wants to type and makes recommendations
    • a way to manipulate structures - such as phone numbers or postcodes - within computer data

Source and full story:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18705285

From CNET news.com:

Apple has gone after the Android partners, which include HTC and Motorola Mobility (now a part of Google following its acquisition earlier this year), claiming that the smartphones infringe on its iPhone. The various companies are attempting to win a significant enough legal victory that both sides would be forced to the bargaining table to strike a patent licensing deal.

Full bans on products are rare, although HTC faced a short one for its One line of smartphones earlier this year.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...le-play-store/
    Last edited by xytrius; 07-04-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity

I am Xtreme
    wtf is up with apple

in particular to this point:

my evo lte has 4.0 and i can either slide the ring up to unlock, or slide apps into the ring to open that specific app. chances are those features are more than 7% different than apples "slide to unlock" bar

i think this country need to rethink their rules when it comes to software vs physical inventions and patents. how much does whoever patented the "type password to unlock" idea make?
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And this sort of patent trolling is why everyone I know as well as me personally are not buying another Crapple product ever again. They're showing us all what's wrong with our patent laws as well as our business system by constantly trying to monopolise the market by any pathetic means necessary.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xytrius View Post
    Google handed models out to developers at its recent I/O conference in San Francisco and had intended it to be the first phone to be offered the Jelly Bean Android update.
    • the use of a single search interface - such as Siri - to retrieve information from a range of systems using a number of techniques
    • a text input interface that tries to anticipate which words the user wants to type and makes recommendations
    • a way to manipulate structures - such as phone numbers or postcodes - within computer data

Source and full story:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18705285

[/url]
    "• the use of a single search interface - such as Siri - to retrieve information from a range of systems using a number of techniques" any meta-search engine(prior art)
    " • the use of a sliding gesture to unlock a touchscreen device " physical slide locks? i don't see how the interface device has a significant impact on the concept
    " • a text input interface that tries to anticipate which words the user wants to type and makes recommendations" T9 keyboards?(prior art)
    " • a way to manipulate structures - such as phone numbers or postcodes - within computer data " databases, all browsers, skype etc... wtf?
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Addict
    These patents shouldn't have been granted in the first place...
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Guru
    WTF is up with Apple, if it's one thing I can't stand is abuse of patent laws.

If it was possible to "pay to fine Apple" I'd pay my share! No Apple product will enter my house ever.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    These patents shouldn't have been granted in the first place...
    Indeed and it seems a judge in the UK agrees.

A Judge in the UK today ruled on a legal battle between HTC and Apple.
    This was also about apple claiming to have patents regarding multitouch, slide to unlock and some gallery patent.

The judge said that Apples gallery patent was valid but that HTC didnt infringe on it.
    Further he said that Apples patent on slide to unlock is non valid because another company has an older patent for the same tech.

His best ruling was that multitouch and text input interface that tries to predict your words are both things that cannot be patented in GB.

Ofcourse this rulling only applies to the UK but seeing those patents are EU patents HTC can use this rulling to declare Apples patents non valid in the other European countrys aswell.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm quite surprised that Apple hasn't somehow saw fit to sue over the use of a mouse & keyboard. Spend more time designing / building quality technology and people will take notice. I'm tired of Apple's products that are nothing more than a portal to your wallet & bank account.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Xtreme Addict
    Someone started this to try and impeach the judge who is granting the injunctions such as the banning of the Galaxy Nexus:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/vote...judge-lucy-koh
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    ^^ already signed petition,

This should never be a market where asswholes dictate market outcomes in court.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Cruncher
    Apple will kill themselves off is how I am seeing it lately. Their upgrades to their devices have been a joke and they are suing more people left and right for the most idiotic stuff. I truly hope even the macfanboys start seeing how stupid this company is and just lets them slow drop off like RIM has.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    This is getting retarded. Apples legal team is full of unethical people but the fact they were granted half of these stupid patents in the first place is the real problem. The system is flawed.

Hell, one complaint they argued is Samsung copied their design and general styling. Really? Thats like taking your competitor to court because they also make T shirts with 4 holes and a pocket. It has gotten way out of control. Banana you Apple, banana you very much!

If the Nexus 7 gets delayed I am going to be livid. What next Apple will claim they invented 7" tables

PS: Considering printing anti apple T shirts, whos game?!
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 07-05-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will never buy another Apple devic again, fk apple.
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz| Corsair H100i | MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Edition | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2.4GHZ | eVGA GTX 780 | Creative Sound Blaster ZxR | Samsung 500GB SSD/4TB Storage | LG 14X BLu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX1050 | Corsair Air 540 | Asus VG248QE 144HZ Monitor

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    This is getting retarded. Apples legal team is full of unethical people but the fact they were granted half of these stupid patents in the first place is the real problem. The system is flawed.

Hell, one complaint they argued is Samsung copied their design and general styling. Really? Thats like taking your competitor to court because they also make T shirts with 4 holes and a pocket. It has gotten way out of control. Banana you Apple, banana you very much!

If the Nexus 7 gets delayed I am going to be livid. What next Apple will claim they invented 7" tables

PS: Considering printing anti apple T shirts, whos game?!
    Nah im pretty sure they claim to have invented tablets.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Nah im pretty sure they claim to have invented tablets.
    I'm sure they will try, but they would be lying. Just one example:

acer_c110_tablet-1.jpg

Also, anyone remember this? LOL. Microsoft: the perennial fad-follower that never really gets it.

acer_c110_tablet-2.jpg

Xtreme Addict
    Just a bit of a update:

Nexus sale ban lifted,
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8650ZS20120707

The Trial starting on the 30th July could of course change things yet again, or maybe Apple will find another way to get it banned again before that...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well you have to give Steve Jobs a credit for taking a product which existed in the market for ages, and making it an object many desire. 6 years ago we called Nokia phones with Symbian a smartphone. It was iphone which defined the term smartphone as we know it now. I don't approve their methods tho and without him they are bound to slide.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..