Thread: Higgs results leaked – but are they real or rumour?

Xtreme Mentor

Higgs results leaked – but are they real or rumour?

"Details are leaking out about the highly anticipated Higgs results from CERN. A story on Nature's website claims that two anonymous sources at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland say both of the Higgs-hunting experiments see signals of a Higgs-like particle around 125 gigaelectronvolts."

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/sh...ef=online-news

Oooo this took long but alas we know...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Cruncher
    I guess we'll find out in about 8.5 hours...

Xtreme Member
    CERN scientists are in such a privileged position - they can make a claim and there is no way anybody except themselves can cross examine because no one else has a $10 billion collider or the TBs of data is spits out. Hoping this isnt another mistake like the particle that traveled faster than light (and even if it is, hardly makes a difference because then they keep on searching for the particle while the rest of the world keeps using the standard model).
    Last edited by Tao~; 07-04-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    I would like to know why the Universe needs a petty officer in the first place, and how can we be sure his name is Higgs?
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so the god particle is finally found. What is the point of it then? I mean, what will this information actually do for us?

Xtreme Addict

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    so the god particle is finally found. What is the point of it then? I mean, what will this information actually do for us?
    It helps us understand and validates or terminates current theories around it.

The Higgs boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model (SM) of particle physics. It belongs to a class of particles known as bosons, characterized by an integer value of their spin quantum number. The Higgs field is a quantum field that fills all of space. Fundamental particles (or elementary particles) such as quarks and electrons acquire mass through the Higgs mechanism. The Higgs boson is the quantum of the Higgs field, just as the photon is the quantum of the electromagnetic field. The Higgs boson has a large mass, however, which is why a large accelerator is needed to observe it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    ATLAS reached 5-sigma. CMS reached 4.9-sigma, which is better than 99% accurancy.
    Now if they can attain 6 Sigma, No one will be able to dispute it ever.

This is an amzing achievement for all mankind.

Xtreme Mentor
    Now it's time for short celebration but after that boffins will have a lot of work to do establishing if it really is Higgs boson and how exactly it behaves.
    If not interrupted by major war or natural disaster then next 20-50 years in physics and our understanding of universe will be epic!
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Addict
    so if we fully understand gravity with this discovery, will it lead to breakthrough for levitation? its an exotic technology but it sure would be xtreme.
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Xtreme Member
    B..b..but can I use it for :banana::banana::banana::banana:.
    --lapped Q9650 #L828A446 @ 4.608, 1.45V bios, 1.425V load.
    -- NH-D14 2x Delta AFB1212SHE push/pull and 110 cfm fan -- Coollaboratory Liquid PRO
    -- Gigabyte EP45-UD3P ( F10 ) - G.Skill 4x2Gb 9600 PI @ 1221 5-5-5-15, PL8, 2.1V
    - GTX 480 ( 875/1750/928)
    - HAF 932 - Antec TPQ 1200 -- Crucial C300 128Gb boot --
    Primary Monitor - Samsung T260

But can it run crysis ?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    so if we fully understand gravity with this discovery, will it lead to breakthrough for levitation? its an exotic technology but it sure would be xtreme.
    The Higgs has nothing to do with understanding gravity, it has to do with understanding mass. No it won't lead to breakthroughs in levitation.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by joshd View Post
    The Higgs has nothing to do with understanding gravity, it has to do with understanding mass. No it won't lead to breakthroughs in levitation.
    So in my crazy scifi fiction world, I spin the idea that higgs boson field defines mass and say I built an higgs boson field nullifier. Would I not have an antigravity device?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    So in my crazy scifi fiction world, I spin the idea that higgs boson field defines mass and say I built an higgs boson field nullifier. Would I not have an antigravity device?
    Maybe, if you could nullify your mass and the mass of the earth. Assuming that without mass neither would have gravity.

It doesn't really have to go that far though. Just nullifying enough of your mass, and the associated inertia, means you could fly with a can of compressed air.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by netkas View Post
    But can it run crysis ?
    doubtful

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    Assuming that without mass neither would have gravity.
    !!

Anyway, we will never be able to "control" the Higgs field.