Thread: Modular Liquid Chiller

Modular Liquid Chiller

So mindchill has been busy in the passed 3 months. He designed a TEC chiller that you can add as many as you need to the line and it will lower water temps further to a point. It contains the driver power internally and has water cooled MOSFETs to help regulate power supplied (The height is slightly less than in the picture. Those MOSFETs were air cooled). It is made from Delrin with a plexyglass top.

It does need the controller for it to work and protect against condensation, and it connects via a 6pin PCIe for power. The 2 other smaller connections beside the 6pin PCIe are for connection to the controller, and relay connections for the next chiller inline. There is an RBG LED in it that changes from Blue to Red as the duty cycle increases. It also comes with a 10K Thermistor that connects to the controller to measure and prevent condensation.

A single module runs about 144W and has a capacity to move 150W with a difference of 11°C lower than your water temperatures. The maximum it can move before complete saturation is ~260W.

A chain of two modules runs 288W and has a capacity to move 300W with a difference of 11°C lower than your water temperatures. If you were to cool the same load that the single chiller is able to move at 11°C which is 150W, the duty cycle of the chillers would be 50% where the single would be at 100%. Or if you were to run the two chillers at 100%, the temperatures available for 150W load is 27°C difference than water temperatures. When you chain them together, you increase the amount of heat they can move in total, and you increase efficiency of cooling the same load by reducing thermal resistances. When 3 are chained together you get 432W power used, with the ability to cool 450W with a difference of 11°C from water temperatures. If you were to cool a load of 150W with 3 chillers, you should get about 33°C difference from hot water temperatures temperatures after thermal losses from the block.

Once I get my hands on these, I will perform testing of my own to see it's capabilities.

This is a very good chiller when you have condensation paranoia. The controller has a built in humidity sensor, ambient sensor and uses the connected Thermistor to measure cold water temperatures, all in order to prevent condensation from forming on your CPU. By preventing you from going below depoint + 2°C it eliminates the need for insulation on your water cooled devices.

NOTE: All of the values calculated were after thermal losses were applied, and as if dew point protection from the controller were disabled. This is to give you the final value on the cold side of the chiller, not the TEC. Due to other loses from a pump in the cold loop, losses through thermal resistances on your waterblock and whatever heat is transferred from the surrounding environment, the final temperature supplied to the CPU will be a degree or 2 higher.
    Last edited by KrowniK; 07-01-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Seems your partner beat you to the punch already on this Krow. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ntroller/page7
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    dbl post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Well, he did post pictures, but he didn't state what it's capabilities were. But thx, I didn't even notice the pics that were there.

Xtreme Mentor
    That's awesome!
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Well this system : it is for sale ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
    Seems your partner beat you to the punch already on this Krow. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ntroller/page7
    nah.. that was more about the controller and the driver boards then the actual chiller itself.. and so not a dbl post !! weee..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mindchill View Post
    nah.. that was more about the controller and the driver boards then the actual chiller itself.. and so not a dbl post !! weee..
    Ninja edit FTW!! weee
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
    Ninja edit FTW!! weee
    nah.. It was always about the watercooling mosfets and controller in the post.. It was just on the chiller..

zipidee dooo dah..

Xtreme Member
    i like i'll take 3 !!!
    Last edited by bds71; 07-26-2012 at 03:59 AM.
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    I wouldn't mind buying one of those!! Look both stylish and tiny...
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Member
    What have your test results shown?
    MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / Bios ver:6102 / Cpu:Ryzen 2700x @ 4.2Ghz (24/7) (1.373), FSB 100x42
    Ram: GSkill PC4-25600 2x8Gb @ 3200MHz, 14-14-14-14-34-1T, 1.352v
    Gfx: EVGa 1080Ti GTX FTW DT
    SSD: Samsung 960 M2 Evo 500 GB
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    Cooling: EKWB L360 Kit
    Temps: Cpu: 30c Ambient / 28c @ Idle / 65c @ 100% Load

Xtreme Member
    This looks like a gimmick...but I'd be glad if it could prove me wrong

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only reason I never was interested in sub ambient cooling is b/c I did not want to mess with insulation and worry about condensation when I might not be able to have my computer in ideal environments. This looks very promising!