Thread: Alphacool NexXxos XP3 CPU Water Block

Xtreme Supporter

Alphacool NexXxos XP3 CPU Water Block

Alphacool NexXxos XP³ Light Acetal Edition - Intel AMD

by

Dark Mantis

Alphacool have been working on an updated model of their processor heat exchanger for water cooling setups for the last fourteen months. From the word go they have always had a good reputation in this field, even before it had really taken off in a big way like it is today. This newest version has been really well thought out from the ground up and as such now will fit just about any CPU from either of the main manufacturers, Intel and AMD. Even the method of changing the mounts is very straightforward and just consists of swapping the mounting plate. This is extremely good as if the owner is someone without much manual dexterity that is still ok.

The blocks come in two versions. Both of which are extremely well packaged in the easilly recognised Alphacool box. One is a very flash brass lidded option (not available to me for pictures) which is finished in elegant black nickel plating with the standard copper base plate and whilst it certainly looks top class it actually only cools roughly 2C better than the standard acetal one that I have here. So all the extra pennies really only go on the outward appearance. As mentioned the style I have is a solid copper baseplate below a black acetal top plate. Both use the same mounting brackets, both of which are supplied along with the other hardware (spings, screws, washers etc). The two fixing plates literaly push onto the acetal (or brass) plate and then the whole unit bolts to the motherboard.

Being acetal the two G1/4" ports on the top are actually marked as IN and OUT with the central port being the inlet as you would expect. Also on top is a solid copper nameplate that carries the Alphacool logo. On turning the block over there is a warning sticker covering the highly polished, in fact mirror finished, interface with the processor. As stated this must be removed before the instalation and some TIM (supplied) spread conservatively over it. You can choose to apply the compound to either the block or the CPU but I wouldn't recommend both. Too much TIM is as bad as too little and it should be just a very thin covering as it is just to fill any micro pits and fine scratches.

The underneath of the ecetal plate has the two ports mentioned previously. The outlet hole is fairly standard and just has a sort of catchment area incorporated to help smooth the flow. The inlet however is far from just a plain hole. It has an uninterupted flow to start with but then reaches what I would call a spreader which consists of slots at right angles to each other that force the flow to be split up. This makes sure that the whole area of the baseplate gets a good flow of water over it and there are no hotspots. Another main plus for this block is that it requires very little pressure to provide a good flow so it isn't important to have a very high powered pump to get the most out of it. It would of course be best to marry it up to a radiator requiring similar chartacteristics with not too many fins per inch.

Looking at the baseplate there is a crosshead brass screw in each corner holding it all together. On careful removal the base and top plates come apart and there is a O-ring providing the seal between them. This is fitted into a channel routed in the acetal. The copper baseplate has been machined with microfine slots in each direction forming a matrix of 2.5mm high square posts which are 0.5mm x 0.5mm wide. This makes a very effective cooling area in which the heat is easilly passed to the cooling solution for moving away to the radiator.

Specifications:
    Weight: 0.279 kg
    Dimensions CPU Cooler: 57x67x14mm or 63x73x14mm to the mounting brackets
    Compatible with AMD Socket AM2 and AM3 and Intel sockets 775, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011 in fact just about any that are currently on the market!
    Connection thread: 2x G1 / 4 inches
    49,95 €*
    Product No.:12153

Delivery:
    1x 1x CPU cooler mounted bracket for Intel Motherboards Socket 775, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011
    1x bracket for AMD AM2 and AM3 motherboards
    1x thermal paste and mounting hardware
    Temperatures at idle

Temperatures on 100% load

This is an excellent water cooling block for your CPU and I think the figures speak for themselves. It is reasonably priced too. I award it 9/10 If it had been a bit cheaper it would have received top marks

Supplier : Alphacool http://www.alphacool.com/ Price : €49.95 (£40.00)

Last edited by Dark Mantis; 06-26-2012 at 02:21 AM.
    Official Gigabyte UK Forum Moderator

Xtreme Member
    A question about the Alphacool XP3 .... does it admit two 13/19mm compression fittings? I have the impression the water I/O holes are too close together.

And you should use to test LinX AVX version, it puts the CPU much hotter.

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post
    A question about the Alphacool XP3 .... does it admit two 13/19mm compression fittings? I have the impression the water I/O holes are too close together.

And you should use to test LinX AVX version, it puts the CPU much hotter.
    I have just tried a couple of compression fittings for you and although tight they fitted ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized.jpg 
Views:	4281 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	130445

Xtreme Member
    Thanks ! Straigth 13/19 fittings seem to fit looking at your picture ... but... how about 45 degrees ones? With so little space I bet they will be a problem.

Xtreme Supporter
    Well I can't say for sure as I don't have any of them to try because I use 13/10 for my builds. However I would have thought that the same would apply as in they would be tight but still just fit. Please let me know if you do try them out.

Xtreme Supporter
    I have just received an update from Alphacool regarding the newer variation of this model that has the black chrome top. Apparently they are still fine tuning it to get the last bit of cooling potential out of it. I think it will be one of the uber elite performers when they have finished. So something to watch out for.

Good but not very nice looking, prefer EK
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    i think you are asking the wrong person about safety limits, but

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mantis View Post
    I have just received an update from Alphacool regarding the newer variation of this model that has the black chrome top. Apparently they are still fine tuning it to get the last bit of cooling potential out of it. I think it will be one of the uber elite performers when they have finished. So something to watch out for.
    PLEASE Dark Mantis, when they do release it could you get it and post detailed pics on here?

I do appreciate the effort you have done here, again fantastic pics and you really get a good feel for the product. It's just the "Black Chrome" model is currently keeping me awake at night.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me".

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by docwhom View Post
    PLEASE Dark Mantis, when they do release it could you get it and post detailed pics on here?

I do appreciate the effort you have done here, again fantastic pics and you really get a good feel for the product. It's just the "Black Chrome" model is currently keeping me awake at night.
    Yes, no problem at all and thanks for the kind words. Only too happy to post the reviews.

nvrmnd
    Last edited by Huigie; 02-25-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    Case: Corsair D800
    Cooling: CPU=EK Supremacy, GPU=Koolance VID-NX690, Pump=MCP655, Radiator= Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm
    PSU: Corsair 1200i
    Mobo/bios: Asrock Z77 Xtreme4
    CPU: 3770 @ 4200
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1866MHz CL9
    Disks: Lots of ssd's
    GPU: EVGA GTX690 Quad SLI
    Sound: X-fi Titanium
    Monitor: Crossover Q27