Thread: Phobya Nano-G12 PWM Silent 1500 rpm Red LED Fan Review

Xtreme Supporter

Phobya Nano-G12 PWM Silent 1500 rpm Red LED Fan Review

Phobya Nano-G12 PWM Silent 1500 rpm Red LED Fan

by Dark Mantis

This fan comes in the by now standardised and easilly recognised Phobya box bearing the company's logo and colours. It has a window in so that the fan itself can be viewed without having to open the packaging. On the reverse is printed the specifications and technical details in three different languages, English, German and French.

Removing the fan from the box and straight away I can see it is well designed and made. The cables are long at roughly 50 cm and braided with a black 1.8" braid finished on the ends with matching heatshrink. People that know me will understand that this is a good start for any review item! It is the attention to detail that can make or break a product. Also included on this product is a small switch for turning the incorporated red LEDs on and off. They are very cleverly set into the chassis of the fan and are not even visible from outside. More nice touches.

The connection is a 4 pin PWM plug for fitting to a PWM socket on the motherboard that allows the BIOS or some other program to control the speed of the fan as necessary. The casing is made of shiny black acrylic with the fan blades a transparent red tone.

The novel thing about all these Phobya fans is that they come apart for ease of cleaning. The centre hub with the blades attached can be literally popped out of the socket and then cleaned in soapy water and dried before being replaced for duty. This is much easier and quicker than having to remove all the fan casings and cables to clean the fans out.

In use the fan certainly shifts a substantial amount of air but is a little on the noisy side. By that I don't mean it as a derogatory statement just that any fan that is shifting over 64 CFM of air at 1500 RPM is going to make some noise. That of course is at the full rated speed using the full 12v but as already mentioned this fan has a variable speed and so the sound will vary along with the speed and volume of air moved. It can work at any speed from 600 - 1500 rpm. This fan has more options than normal.

I see the fixing screws are included again with this model as they do with the cheaper version and the price is not high compared to other fans of a like specification and I would say it is good value as are most Phobya products. I would award it 10/10 Well done Phobya!

Supplier: CandC Central http://www.candccentral.co.uk/

Price: £10.20

Last edited by Dark Mantis; 04-14-2011 at 01:43 AM.
    Official Gigabyte UK Forum Moderator

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So time for some thread necroing. I was considering these - do you know how the noise at 600rpms on a radiator compares to other "silent" fans?