Thread: who has a Nex 7 and who wants one?

I am Xtreme

who has a Nex 7 and who wants one?

so who has a Sony Nex 7 and who wants one?

for those that have one, anything you just hate about it?

for those who want one, what is it that is making you want one?

sony and the nex series just isnt very popular here... well, until someone tries one.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

I am Xtreme
    I want one, and a canon mount adapter(if there is one)

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    I want one, and a canon mount adapter(if there is one)
    there is one, both FD and EOS mounts.
    problem is with EOS mounts you have to shoot wide open because you have no way to control f-stop. (and manual focus, but thats not an issue with focus peaking built into the camera)
    though a company in canada does make an EOS to E-Mount adapter with the electrical contacts in it so you can control f-stop and have exif data (dont remember if auto focus is enabled) --- but its like $300... cheap if you have some expensive canon glass you want to use.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    I have used an A77. The EVF is nice.
    I've also used an NEX-5. I am not a fan of the large lenses on the small body. Ergonomics are weird.
    2600K + Sabertooth + 560Ti

Xtreme 3D Team
    I might be okay with one of the A-series cameras.
    Smile

I am Xtreme
    lol yeah the ergo's are wierd, thank god for those companies that make their lens adapters with a tripod mount built onto them.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Its nice, but..

1) if you are using rangefinder lens with adapters, then you might run into trouble.. (mostly for Contax G and M-mount lens). Eg. color shifts, weak performance in corners

2) not much native quality lens, well.. none except one Zeiss, which frankly isnt that miraculous..

3) those two dials on right side could use locking function.. waaay too easy to spin them

4) video button is in bit wrong place (tho when trying it, I didnt hit it by accident, still would feel safer if it was somewhere else)

5) shadows when pushed can have bit strange color (magneta cast)

Otherwise pretty cool gadget. EVF needs one or two generations to catch up with DR of OVF tho, but its usable (Panasonic G1 EVF was usable ages ago, when mirrorless started, so this is for me without problems). Would be nice if it was bit less noisy, but still good compared to same chip in A77.

Overall, good choice if you like high image quality, nice colors and using a lots of alternative lens. Not much for high ISO, but well theres NEX-5N for that.. Bit kinky ergonomics, sorta like Playstation.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

I am Xtreme
    ok well since this thread isnt going anywhere i will divulge why i asked.... (mescalamba i didnt see your post until after i posted this - so thanks for your always appreciated thoughts)

we have a rewards program at work from one of the mfg we distribute for.
    i get points for selling certain products along with extended warranties.
    so... having enough points saved up i got the Nex 7 and sold my Nex-5n and kit lens.

so i am sitting here with a free, untouched, still in the box Nex-7 wondering if i should use it or sell it... and i truly cant make up my mind
    i was considering the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 for e-mount, and then i have some manual lenses left....
    or sell it, bank the money, and run...

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Easy question to ask. Here is the answer: what camera do you want?

I am Xtreme
    that is actually the hardest question to answer.

its not about what camera do i want but making up my mind if i want to keep this.
    can i really use this
    or
    can i use the money.

both are a yes question but since i paid nothing for it i technically am not out any money.

so it makes the answer even harder to come up with.

can i use the $1050 i will ask for it,,, yes... will i be able to afford to buy one on my own anytime in the near future.... no
    can i use this camera and enjoy it as much or more than i did my 5n... yes... can i use the 7 to the degree it deserves.. no.. i am not that good.

yes no maybe so.. round and round i go...
    Last edited by Lestat; 06-27-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Kinda depends, are you willing to invest bit more money?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/969329/363

Worth taking look at.

IMHO, if you dont care about high ISO (it should be ok up to ISO 400 - or more with bit of PP) and like high detail stuff, its good camera, in fact very good..

30mm Sigma is really super-sharp lens and with working AF.

I would most likely buy Contax G adapter and 45mm f2 Contax G lens. I saw many amazing photos with this combination (or same lens and NEX-5N). Then depending on money, adapter to Nikon F, Minolta MD or Canon FD. Minolta MD/MC lens have nice "Minolta" look, with slightly different colors. Advantage is that with focus peaking/magnification its not problem to MF even 58mm f1.2 lens. Nikon lens are good choice as theres plenty of old but good quality ones. Same goes to now obsolete Canon FD, which has some hidden gems aswell, plus bit more different colors/rendering compared to today Canons. Tho FD lens work much better with Samsung NX (well photos look different, kinda - synergic with this combination). But I saw plenty of nice pics with NEX-7 and FD lens too.

I wouldnt sell it without trying. Its nice camera and most advanced mirrorless today.

And, most ppl are not capable of using any camera to maximum, so I wouldnt worry about that.. as long as you like your photos and enjoy taking them, its fine.
    Last edited by Mescalamba; 06-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    Sell it and join the micro four thirds community with me. Get a used E-P1 for a hundred bucks and spend the rest of the money on bills and a lens adapter.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
    Sell it and join the micro four thirds community with me. Get a used E-P1 for a hundred bucks and spend the rest of the money on bills and a lens adapter.
    I kinda like E-PL1 or GF-1. And with EVF. Very small, but pretty amazing cams. Tho NEX is better in IQ, just wish they made them in 4:3 ratio not 3:2.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Xtreme Member
    Do it! Get a 14-42x on a GF3.

I am Xtreme
    i had an olympus EPL-1 for a while and was really surprised at what the camera could do when shooting raw.
    the images are just retarded noisy, atleast 2-3 times the nex series but photoshop really really cleans them up.
    Oly raw files just have alot of headroom in them for adjustment.
    but i dont like having to do that with every image.

nothing wrong with 4/3 either. though i have only owned Panasonic point and shoot cameras i have not gotten their 4/3 cameras yet. dont see much reason to really.

good suggestions though guys.

i put it up for sale here and PoTN, i will give it a week and if nothing comes of it i will probably start using it. i really dont want to ebay it.... hmm maybe i will throw it up on craigs list.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    How much will you ask for it? Just curious..

Otherwise Panny m4/3s. There are like 3 usable models. GH1 (actually quite "clean" for m4/3s), GH2 (really amazing video, incredible detail in photos, but needs some noise smoothing) and last but not least GX1 .. which is pretty much as good as OM-D (almost). And OM-D is apparently .. suprise, Sony sensor (ok I didnt see that coming..).
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    How much will you ask for it? Just curious..

Otherwise Panny m4/3s. There are like 3 usable models. GH1 (actually quite "clean" for m4/3s), GH2 (really amazing video, incredible detail in photos, but needs some noise smoothing) and last but not least GX1 .. which is pretty much as good as OM-D (almost). And OM-D is apparently .. suprise, Sony sensor (ok I didnt see that coming..).
    I have it listed at $1050 i believe

Unfortunately om-d looks ( the camera body ) better than it performs :\

Heat Ebay Feedback

I am Xtreme
    I guess i can say i dont have a single problem with the m4/3 technology but they have to get their noise levels in check....its like they dont even care and just keep putting out cameras that have sensors with more noise and bad IQ at higher iso than some high end point and shoots.
    Super noisy super mooshy.... Yuck

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Heh, yea thats true, most m4/3 looks better than they work. For current technology, sensors in m4/3s shouldnt exceed 12 mpix. Its better to have nicely clean 10 mpix.. Tho 4/3s are fighting this since start (except old E-300, E-500, E-1 - which were based on Kodak CCDs, they have excellent colors and pretty low noise .. well on base ISO ).

On other hand NEX-7 is same thing. On base ISO it really isnt cleaner per-pixel than m4/3s. I guess that having 24 mpix kinda helps with this. Still for per-pixel clean, NEX-5N is better choice (or F3 maybe).

"Big" manufacturers are trying same these days. D800 isnt exactly per-pixel clean.. actually at per-pixel view it looks exactly like A900 (or slightly worse, definitely not same colors ). Just 36 mpix when is NR done and downsized to 8 mpix (A4 print) is clean even on ISO 1600. Just dont look at it closely when its at those 36 mpix.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

I am Xtreme
    yeah per pixel level noise isnt something i recommend anyone do, it will ruin your mental image of your gear and send you looking for better.

the Nex-7 people complain is noisier than the 5N which is a monster up to 6400.
    but when you look at it from a 1:1 perspective, the 7 is almost identical to the 5N for noise, its jus the 24mp makes it look worse than it is.

i, when possible, shoot raw, enlarge the raw hella big, do all my processing, open it in PS, then do what ever, then resize to the small size i want and save as jpeg.
    iso128000 can look pretty good when doing that because you are reducing a large file, so the noice is "hidden"

i have never printed anything large to see how they print, but i image it cleans up pretty well.

i just hate saying it but i feel like i have really lost the urge to take pictures. i just dont feel like doing it.... but then there are days when i want to.. but maybe cant cuz of time or location or what ever...

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Save up for medium format and you get zero noise at base ISO

If you like the idea of a compact ILC camera, micro-four thirds is the best in the business. On July 23, there is a really high chance that Canon will announce a mirror-less camera. Just in case you want to wait.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
    Save up for medium format and you get zero noise at base ISO

If you like the idea of a compact ILC camera, micro-four thirds is the best in the business. On July 23, there is a really high chance that Canon will announce a mirror-less camera. Just in case you want to wait.
    Only if you keep mpix low. Something like 22 mpix MF back. Otherwise most MF backs are just meh. Limited usability, hard to work with. There are few really good medium format cameras. Leica S2 and Pentax 645D. First one is incredibly expensive (but amazing), second is somewhat affordable and actually quite decent. Tho neither of these is true "MF". Those sensors are smaller.

And zero noise.. well for example 1DMK3 or D3/s has that.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

I am Xtreme
    screw it i have lowered the price again. just cant bring myself to use it.
    no idea what i want, or if i want anything at all for that matter.... i just cant get myself into the mood to shoot

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    I know what you mean. Work has drained a lot from me. I'm getting ready to move to a new region. I hope that I will work hard to document my life and travels when that happens. That helps me get back into photography when I'm reaching a lull. Just buy a flashgun and a reflector. That will make photography WAY more of a challenge and interesting.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    that is actually the hardest question to answer.

its not about what camera do i want but making up my mind if i want to keep this.
    can i really use this
    or
    can i use the money.

both are a yes question but since i paid nothing for it i technically am not out any money.

so it makes the answer even harder to come up with.

can i use the $1050 i will ask for it,,, yes... will i be able to afford to buy one on my own anytime in the near future.... no
    can i use this camera and enjoy it as much or more than i did my 5n... yes... can i use the 7 to the degree it deserves.. no.. i am not that good.

yes no maybe so.. round and round i go...
    Well to begin with I wish I had your problem! It would not be any easier for me to solve than you but I assure you I would have decided before now. Or let us know what your decision was and what happened?

CPU: i7 920 Rock Solid @ 4.1 H.T
    MB: ASUS P6X58D Premium USB 3.0 and SATA3 6GB 32nm Support
    MEMORY: G.SKILL DDR3 2000 CL 8-8-8-21
    HD: PATRIOT INFERNO 100GB SSD OCZ Vertex 60 GB SSD
    GPU: HD 5850 ATI RADEON ATI CrossFireX 1GB GDDR5
    PSU: Seasonic 80 PLUS GOLD X-SERIES 750W
    COOLING: CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
    MONITOR: Hanns.G 22"
    DUAL BAY HD DOCK: NexStar NST-D200SU 2.5"/3.5" SATA to USB 2.0/eSATA
    CASE: CM STORM SNIPER (Black Edition)