Thread: Light Box Effect

SHUT TEH FACE

Light Box Effect

Alright so I'm thinking of creating a light box effect on the center panel of a Custom wide DD Water Box Plus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0475p.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	127505

My idea is to do get the center piece (the mother board piece) laser etched seeing as how it is acrylic (a clear acrylic, not the one seen int he picture) and then applying a 40% translucent acrylic white plate on the top and bottom of the plate to create the lighting effect typically seen on the murderbox designs. (I probably place an led strip on the entire back side of the panel or on each width side My only worry is that because there are some significant wholes where the motherboard rests, the lighting effect would not look good.

Any thoughts?

Xtreme Member
    the etching will help spread the light, but you will have trouble with those large holes. if you etched it and had led strips on all sides and made sure some etching went in the narrow bits between the holes it would be ok, but there will be dead spots. do you really need such large holes in the tray, or can you have removable pieces with etching on them to fill those holes that match up to the fixed part. alternatively can you just custom cut a whole piece of acrylic that matches the DD one without the holes, maybe add in a removable cover for CPU back plate access and have any cable holes going all the way through so it won't affect the light anyway.

you will also want to place a reflective sheet of acrylic on the bottom. i'm not sure you could get the effect you want if you allow the light to bleed out the top and bottom. maybe if you etched top and bottom of the clear piece it might work, you will have to test it out.
    Last edited by Liam_G; 06-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.