Thread: Murderbox Glowing Hard Drive

SHUT TEH FACE

Murderbox Glowing Hard Drive

Does anyone know how to create this glowing effect on the hard drive mounts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21.murderbox.008.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	127500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32.murderbox.008.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	127501

I found a few comments on the actual build log, but was hoping for a more descriptive walk through.
    Build Log: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=172583
    Thanks!

Luciel
    UV reactive paint and of course, UV cathodes or leds

Unless they are acrylic bays, in which case itīs a different process.

SHUT TEH FACE
    Thanks, I think they are acrylic bays...

Xtreme Member
    I think you have to sand the edges that are lit so they look frosted. possibly sand the bottom too. then just drill a hole and embed an led in the side of the acrylic that you don't see or on the top. you could take it further and use the same principal as the luminous panel and engrave the bottom with a grid pattern. so engrave lines that are 0.5mm deep, 0.5mm wide and the grid spacing would be 3mm between lines in each direction. this helps the light spread evenly by reflecting through the grid channels and then it defuses through the frosting without any "hot" or bright spots. we should all thank charles for bringing these techniques to us and appreciate that he is happy for us to copy him for applications other than the TJ07 or Murderbox MKII. He knows it means we really really like what he does and he deserves credit for that!

Oh and if you engrave the bottom place a reflective sheet or mirrored sheet of acrylic under it and on the top as well. he may have actually placed the led in the front part that we don't see and engraved the top and bottom and put the reflective sheets top and bottom, then frosted the edges. you could always PM charles, i'm sure he would be happy to point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Liam_G; 06-11-2012 at 04:39 PM.